Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Small correction - the active air dam deploys at 40 or 45 mph, not 65. You’re entitled to your opinion, but increasing rotational mass by let’s say 30 lbs per corner is huge on a system that already operates on a thin margin to achieve its mpg. Not to mention additional rolling resistance of off-road and wider tires…

I literally just went from stocks to fuel wheels with 34 inch recon grapplers a week ago. At 15,000 miles, I know how my truck performed on stock. I’m down an expected mpg to 21-22 from 25-26. The only reason it’s still high is due to the fact that I optimize my driving for the hybrid and I drive in suburban areas at 30-40mph most of the time. Next time I take my fairly regular highway trip to see some friends with cruise on 75-80, I fully expect to be around 17. Nothing you can do about it when you’ve got all that extra weight to sling around
The air dam per the Ford repair supervisor from the dealer deploys at 65 mph. Supposedly they received their info from Ford engineering.

You are also assuming multiple aspects in terms of thin Margin. If the truck is optimized the way you think Ford would not legally be allowed to say it hits the MPG on different trim levels with different tires sizes. There will be differences but from the legal jargon from the EPA and Ford it has to be within an exceptable margin or face lawsuits.

We have gotten into this before, you have no idea how I drive nor OP, there are two people right now showing similar symptoms and instead of acknowledging the potential of a Ford issue, which have been countless as well as Ford saying QC was terrible, you would rather assume it's anything else. Do you think we are so ignorant and dumb that we haven't tried different driving techniques?

You yourself state you dropped from 25 to 21 , I could accept that. On the high side of acceptable but there. I also wonder if your circumference is dialed in exactly correct, not tire size stated by a converter. but actual mph and distance traveled. 22 ish would be my number to be impressed by with your setup, which seems you do on occasion get that.

I don't travel 75-80 but you assume that. When I travel steady 35-40 I get 15-20 mpg, stock or not, I get best downhill at 55mph (22mpg) and any deviation from that, slight throttle, change in speed up or down and my mpg goes down.

Before you assume, help people. STOP saying it's normal your own experience is different WTF.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
If you add 35s, you are pushing 4 wider tires and taller tires down the road. Your truck will be slower accelerating than before, it will slow down quicker when you remove your foot from the throttle, and all that makes you have lower MPGs.

I’ve bounced around in a rubicon for plenty of miles on mudders vs street tires of OEM size. Read the forums all you want, and believe whatever you want, but you can take what Oxford said to the bank. You go adding bigger things that are heavier and it is going to be harder to get the sticker MPG.

I get 24 MPG and I just got 14 MPG pulling a 7.5 foot tall car hauler with bigger axles and springs. If I just had the same OEM size but in a knobby BFG mudder I would expect 1-2 MPG loss, go bigger and wider, then you can throw great MPG out the window.
OMG you guys,

I HAVE NOT ONCE SAID BIGGER TIRES WOULDN'T AFFECT MPG, JUST NOT 7-10. Now that it is in caps maybe you can really think about it.

I got 14-17completely stock, not towing, eco, not eco, highway, city. granny driving, normal driving, remote start, not remote start, long trips, short trips, any trips, windows up, down, no electronics, all electronics, 4a, 4h, 2h doesn't matter always 14-17 avg. Sometimes see 20-22 for a short bit on the lie o meter but hand calculated avg of 14-17.
please explain my issue

You are also assuming a lot here

My tires are .8 wider on stock rims, 2 inches taller. I get the exact same mpg after 35's were installed. They are not knobby mud tires. Not all 35's are 12.5 wide and super swamppers.

If others are getting 21-24 on 34's and Poke....... seems OP should get similar, but why take imperical evidence when we can be pretend engineers and if you do have an engineering background or troubleshooting forte, shame on you.

Last edited:

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
28.5mpg this weekend through Kentucky hills on I-75 @70mph.
20220530_144832.jpg
Curious - For those getting suitably high MPG, what octane gas do you have in the tank?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Short trip, ECO mode, 50-60mph most of the way. AC on. Lower 70s on ambient temp. 87octane.

IMG_3165.jpeg
I wonder if it's those cooler temps (relative to where I am). I'm not complaining about my 25mpg on 93 octane non-ethanol, but I feel like I get better mileage in the winter here in FL when the air is cooler and dry than I do in the summer where it's hot and humid. I don't have any "winter" miles on my truck to test this out, but I've noticed this trend in my other vehicles.

Sponsored

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
I've got just over 1k miles on my PB averaging about 22 overall so far. Most in-town trips over 15 minutes I get between 23 and as high as 28. I drove Charlottesville to VA Beach and back and only got around 21-22 doing 75+ most of the way. It's a bone stock build, but hope it improves over time as I've heard others mention. But I bought it to tow and power our travel trailer, and keep us powered at home should storms knock out the grid.

Loving it so far!

Heff_tows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 powerboost Lariat FX4, 2008 F-450 KR
I have now had my truck for about 6 months and have about 6k miles on it. If I am smart and maximize my electric miles though easy acceleration and long slow braking in town i easily get 24+ MPG. I drive 65-73 MPH on the freeway depending on traffic and I still get about 24 MPG. I can get 26+ if I keep the RPM's around 1500 and travel 45-60 MPH.
Towing I get 8-10 MPG with a 6.5K lbs travel trailer and another 800lbs in the cab/bed from people and our Great Dane dogs. I always lock out 9/10th gear and tow in normal. I am going on a 500 mile round trip this weekend and I will experiment with locking out 8th gear as well from 60-65MPH and see what that does.
My last 150 was a 2019 limited with the raptor engine and with premium i was actually getting slightly better MPG towing, most likely due to the HO engine and the lighter base truck weight. Man I sure miss that glorious 36 Gallon fuel tank.

Important note: for the first 1000 miles my MPG was in the 20-23 range and there 100% is a break in period on these trucks. The warmer summer weather also has a HUGE positive effect on the Hybrid battery despite the A/C running. I am consistently getting better mileage during the summer heat here in VA.

PFD664

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Crew 502a Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Another road trip today, Warner Robins to St. Simons Island almost all Interstate I-16 and I-95, here is a pic just before we got off 95…Someone above asked what kind of fuel some of us run. I use only Shell 87 octane. I maintain my stock 20” Pirelli Scorpion AT‘s@ 40psi.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? FDC1BC8B-C0F4-44AD-8844-4F9453A4B1F3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Filled it up today. Truck said 25.2 mpg.

IMG_0326.jpg
Insane. I'd love to trade trucks with you for a full tank to prove I do not suck ass as a driver. The only way I get even a trip with the above average is on 2nd and greater legs of errands where I make multiple stops. The first 5 minutes of the first leg out of my garage drags down the average, and so does freeway. But I can get 24mpg on city errands, but its just too small of a fraction of my total tank to matter. :(

My fuelly recent data is very sad. Only that April data point had some tow miles in it. Rest are all unladen.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? Screenshot_20220615-224341_Fuelly A

Sponsored

Scarecrow06

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost FX4
I see some of you are getting incredible MPG out of these trucks! Well done. I have a Platinum FX4 with tow mirrors and all I can seem to get is around 22 and I drive very conservatively. I use 87 octane and live in GA just north of Atl. Tires are stock and at 40 psi. Any advice?!

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
I see some of you are getting incredible MPG out of these trucks! Well done. I have a Platinum FX4 with tow mirrors and all I can seem to get is around 22 and I drive very conservatively. I use 87 octane and live in GA just north of Atl. Tires are stock and at 40 psi. Any advice?!
That’s not bad for a heavy truck like yours. I don’t have my PB yet but based on my previous experience with other hybrid vehicles, It is typically most efficient to accelerate in a brisk manner (counter intuitive) to your desired speed and then to use just enough throttle to maintain that speed. Coasting and stops anticipation can also go a long way. Although it may irritate drivers behind you try to maximize regen braking as much as possible. That way you’re recapturing free energy for your next acceleration. It’s all about the energy management

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.
21PB w 6.5 bed
19 overall thru 10,000 miles . Mostly around town

Heff_tows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 powerboost Lariat FX4, 2008 F-450 KR
What will help the most and in my opinion is the most in your control...
keep freeway RPM's under 1800, 1400-1600 in 10th gear is best for 24 MPG. When you drive use the screen that shows how much power you are using, located in the trip/fuel screen. When in electric only mode you can insure not to over accelerate and start the engine. You will also be able to see how hard you are braking and if you are optimizing your brake REGEN. As other people have stated the long slow stops are the best to make sure you recapture all of the Kinetic energy you have built up.

NOTE* you have the tow mirrors which will reduce your MPG's a little, I don't imagine they would make more than a .25-0.5 MPG difference at freeway speeds.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Another road trip today, Warner Robins to St. Simons Island almost all Interstate I-16 and I-95, here is a pic just before we got off 95…Someone above asked what kind of fuel some of us run. I use only Shell 87 octane. I maintain my stock 20” Pirelli Scorpion AT‘s@ 40psi.
FDC1BC8B-C0F4-44AD-8844-4F9453A4B1F3.jpeg
Nice BlueCruise flex there.... ;)

(I'm jealous...)
Sponsored