Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

DPTURBO29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current - 2018 Tundra Limited 1971 F100 SC
I’m waiting to get mine, Lariat SCREW 6.5 FX4 501A Max Tow in SQ. I drove a dealer unit which was the 5.5 bed w/ 3.55 I believe and just watching the instant meter I felt like that combo was going to hover very close to the 24/25 mark in mixed driving.
I believe the gains at highway speeds are mostly via the electric motor torque filling when you reach an incline. In essence decreasing the workload/need to downshift to maintain speed. In that particular truck I couldn’t get it to pull away from pretty much any stop at anything over idle without engaging the ICE. I’m interested to see what mine is like with the 3.73, if that helps it accelerate at all on electric only.

Either way I expect to be happy with the mileage. I’m coming out of a 2018 Tundra w/ 7” of lift and 35x12.50s hanging about 3-1/2” outside the fender wells churning the air. That truck dropped from 15 to 11 mpg. Won’t be doing that again. Looks great, but basically ruins a truck as a daily driver.
Sponsored

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
I've had my truck for about a week and am absolutely struggling to get above 20 mpg. Lots of short trips but I'm driving very conservatively.

Did anyone else notice an initial break-in and then better mileage? I've only got about 200 miles on it.
Between the battery, the engine, and the transmission being cold you're going to lose a lot of efficiency. Even my normal 3.5 gets like 2-3mpg better when its warmed up.

Recurve

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Between the battery, the engine, and the transmission being cold you're going to lose a lot of efficiency. Even my normal 3.5 gets like 2-3mpg better when its warmed up.
Good to know. Had two longer trips (40 miles) in the past two days and was averaging about 20 mpg on both trips.

upslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Honda Civic 290k miles
After 1000 miles, I'm averaging 18.4 in normal driving mode in 2 wheel drive.

The drive home from Granger was about 950 highway miles and it was still only 18mpg. Kind of disappointing, but I kinda expected it after reading these threads on the forum. I really wonder how they got 24mpg from EPA.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
With the warm days followed by cold days here in the Northeast recently, it's a great example of how temperature effects fuel economy. On cold days, <~40°F, I would get 20-22 mpg on my way to work, and similar on the way home. Usually the trip home was a little better just because it's warmer out. On warm days, >~45°F, I get 24-26 mpg. Other than the fuel used while driving, nothing else changed significantly besides temperature.

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
My in-town commutes at this time are typically in the 18-21 mpg range. With really good conditions I'm getting more like 23 mpg and I have gotten higher a time or two. We are chilly (30s-40s) here in the mornings which is about 1/2 of what I drive and when warmer things are a bit better.

Highway it depends on the flow. If I can keep it around 65mpg on the freeway - and steady the 24mpg is pretty doable or better.

On county 2-lane roads with stops every few miles? I've actually gotten 27mpg one time and it's usually going to be in the 24 mpg or better range. But I'm being pretty conservative in my driving style.

I'm at about 4100 miles on the odometer at this time. Also, given the Kalifornia gas prices I think that the little bit better gas mileage makes the price increment to get Premium an actual savings so I've been sticking with premium most of the time.

Kilo5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PB, Lariat, SCrew, FX4
I mostly drive in the city and get 20 mpg and on a 1000 mile highway trip I only reached 20 mpg driving 70 mpg. This is 3 mpg better than my 5.3 GMC in the city, but 1 mpg less on highway. Driving in normal mood.

RockyMtnFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL Powerboost FX4
Howdy Folks! Just bought a 2022 F-150 XL Powerboost FX4 and have so far put 800 miles on it, driving from Oregon to Montana. I averaged a solid 25 mpg on this trip which has a steady elevation gain and included going over a couple mountain passes, temp was low 40's most the way.

Have to say I'm more than a little happy with this, especially given the mixed results posted elsewhere in this thread. Once the engine is broken in a bit more and we switch to summer mix gas I could see this going another couple mpg for sure. The efficiency definitely increases as the system warms up, my mpg seems to steadily climb during the first 30 minutes or so of a given trip. I must also add that I've been driving pretty conservatively, most often setting cruise at 70 mph on the flat but going a bit slower up steep grades.

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I finally cracked the secret to getting the most out of this engine. All you need is a 9200 foot descent.

CDA56848-B97D-4C33-8AFD-973EDBFADCA8.jpeg
Ha, yeah I did this in mine, too. From about 6000' in the mountains down to about 600' in Burbank, CA. I got 30.5 and I drove like an absolute grandpa. I WAS able to get 20 going up, though.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Where is this 9200' descent over 47.2 miles??? That sounds fun!
Ruidoso to Alamogordo. I didn’t bother to look up the elevation of Alamogordo, so 9200 might be an overestimation, but it was a steep drive for sure.

blackhawkrider

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F-150 PowerBoost
With the warm days followed by cold days here in the Northeast recently, it's a great example of how temperature effects fuel economy. On cold days, <~40°F, I would get 20-22 mpg on my way to work, and similar on the way home. Usually the trip home was a little better just because it's warmer out. On warm days, >~45°F, I get 24-26 mpg. Other than the fuel used while driving, nothing else changed significantly besides temperature.
I have similar results with temperature. I've been averaging hand calculated 21.1 MPG over 6,000 miles with my worst being 17.12 and best being 24.02. With the warmer weather I got my first hand calculated MPG over 24 spanning 590 miles. With a warm truck and driving under 45-50 MPH I usually get around 25-27 MPG on the dash; that's 1-2 higher than when I hand calculate during a fill up. Once I get above 65 MPH the mileage drops to the low 20s. I have a tonneau cover that I'm installing this week and I'll see if I can notice any significant changes on the highway.

It could be anecdotal, but I bumped up the stock tires from 37 PSI to 41 PSI cold and noticed an improvement on the highway. It could also be from the warmer weather, full synthetic oil change, and/or engine break-in? Too many variables! I'll have to drop the pressure once the temperature stabilizes to confirm. I've never noticed any improvement with my other passenger vehicles by increasing pressure higher than the door jam pressure so it could be a fluke. The dealer had the pressure at 37 PSI and I tried 35 PSI to match the door jam, but went back to 37 PSI after several hundred miles - it just seemed to ride better.

For reference I have the crew cab, 4x4, 145" wheelbase, and stock 18" wheels.
Sponsored

Last edited: