Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Vallee

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 f150 ecoboost
I did my first highway drive this weekend, got 12L/100km, but the hybrid never came on when driven at highway speed. I this normal?
Sponsored

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
I did my first highway drive this weekend, got 12L/100km, but the hybrid never came on when driven at highway speed. I this normal?
I did a 408 km's today and was in Eco mode on the way up 204 km's and Normal on the way back 204 kms.

I set the cruise at 120 km's on the Hwy and 10 km's over the speed limit on the back roads. Overall trip up in eco was 20.3 mpg or 11.5 L/100 km.
On the way back same roads and normal setting same speed I got 11.1 L/100 km or 21.1 mpg.
At 120 km's the hybrid seems to use 11.5 L/100 km's with no wind and on flat ground. Electric only does not engage fully until you slow down or are going downhill by what I can see, Though the display does show that the Hybrid is helping to drive the wheels even when the engine is on. Just not fully electric like in the city or speeds below 80 km's per hour seems to be the electric only speeds.
I have not seen it electric only on the highway.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
My first partial tank on my Platinum FX4 SCrew 5.5:

Total Miles: 232.9
Electric Miles: 44.7 (19.19% of total miles)
Cluster Indicated MPG: 17.7
Actual Measured MPG: 18.8 (12.39 Gallons)

This is the first vehicle I've owned where the cluster underreported MPG. 18.8 in comparison to my 2018 F150 FX4 Ecoboost 3.5L SCrew 5.5 is about 4.3 MPG better, given I've been driving about the same conditions since purchase. I'm pretty happy with that for the first partial tank since my truck is fully loaded as well. I think as it breaks in and I learn how to better maximize the hybrid system at slower speeds, MPG will improve.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20210223094526-ad62d774-me

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20210223094529-bbbd6087-me

Jon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw lariat
So I’ve been hand calculating last 3 fill ups. Sometimes it’s only 1/4-1/2 down before I fill.
All three hand calculations are minimum 10% lower than computer says. Had Truck for 1300 miles but something feels goofy about computer numbers .
time will tell.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I'm not even going to worry about what it is until spring and then I'm not sure I'll really mess with calculating. It is what it is and when I need to fill up, I will. The L-O-M is right in front of my face when I shut it down anyway.... And, as a rule they are really optimistic so it will be less than I see.

Sponsored

TeeRoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Oxford 6.5 box
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Just picked up from the dealer in Pittsburgh drove almost 400 miles on the Penn turnpike back to south jersey 65-75 mph in eco mostly, pretty impressed so far
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_20210308_214947830

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
3 day Weekend run. Not the 24 mpg I was hoping for. Mainly interstates, 75+ mph, intelligent cruise with 5mph tolerance set. Very few electric miles mainly from driving around town.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 91515CE1-5D01-4E75-9982-060CCF3C657D

Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
The mileage is one thing, but I really like the range as well. I drove around town for a few days, drove from the Peninsula in NorCal to Tahoe, drove around there for a weekend, and drove back. And I never filled up. Still 100 mi left on the tank. That's a luxury IMO.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The mileage is one thing, but I really like the range as well. I drove around town for a few days, drove from the Peninsula in NorCal to Tahoe, drove around there for a weekend, and drove back. And I never filled up. Still 100 mi left on the tank. That's a luxury IMO.
You didn't even bother to wave as you drove through Sacramento! That was me on the side of the road crying because I haven't gotten my powerboost yet to play the MPG challenge game.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
So far mine has about 18 MPG in its young life (150 miles, I got it at 37 miles). But I've been above 20 for the most part, and two solo trips where I could actually try (without my family getting annoyed) I got between 22 and 23. Lots of room to improve as I learn my truck!

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.
I have 1600 miles and average any where between 19 and 23 mpg

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
So just for fun I decided to do a "best MPG" run on what I hope is my final trip from Sacramento to San Jose before trading my truck in.

This is NOT from a Powerboost (don't have it yet) but from my 2017 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost 4x2 3.55 ratio. The EPA rating is 18/25 on it, but I can beat that by going 55-60mph (getting like 26-27mpg). So I used mostly highways and country roads where going that speed isn't annoying to anyone. The route also includes stop lights and stop signs in a few towns, which hurts a bit. It will be fun to try this exact route when I get my Powerboost! Would be awesome to break that 26mpg barrier that is so elusive...

1613718323875.png
Well, I am a very sad boi right now. I decided that for my first trip from Sac to San Jose, that I would do the same route that I call my "MPG run" because I can take highways where they are 55-60mph without bothering anyone. The above pic was my 2017 3.5 EB XLT 4x2 with 3.55 ratio. It didn't occur to me that it was probably my final trip with that truck and to do the MPG run until about 20 miles in, which is just flat getting out of Sacramento and doesn't affect the overall number really.

Here is my inaugural run with my '21 Powerboost KR 4x4 (3.73 ratio):
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1615959893386

I am pretty sad, to put it mildly. I tried EVERYTHING!
  • ECO mode (and I used ECO coach a lot, as well as the MPG screen using MyView)
  • Going 55, going 65, going 45, 50....
    • There is NO speed at which I get more than 26 MPG steady state, flat terrain, constant speed, ECO/Normal, does not matter
    • This means it is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to ever average >26 MPG on a round trip, what is this wizardly y'all are pulling???
    • On my 2017 4x2, I could ALWAYS "run up the score" by going 55-60mph and getting 27 MPG easy!
  • While "electric miles" are fun, it does not seem to increase overall average when driving long enough
    • You deplete the battery anyway over several seconds maintaining speed, and the engine has to come on and work a *little* bit harder than it does on a full battery
    • I notice that typical RPM while maintaining 50mph or so is 1.4-1.5, but if you deplete the battery it will be 1.6-1.7.
    • On the flip side, if you do not deplete the battery using electric miles, sometimes you can coast all the way down to 1.2kRPM, and if lightly accelerating it will stay super low like 1.2-1.3 for a good while due to the electric assist (rather than fully electric miles)
    • For this reason, I think "electric miles" are more just a fun stat, but the internal algorithm will balance the battery usage optimally whether doing "electric miles" or "electric assist"
  • I babied those regen brakes as best I could to keep the Eco coach in the "green" as when you go "white" it means you have reached friction zone.
    • This even meant a few rolling "california stops" so I didn't use friction (if you are a cop pretend you didn't read this)
  • I tried Normal mode and it did not seem to make any difference on highways and country roads, it probably only matters in stop and go or city driving
  • I tried Sport mode just in case, as I saw comments in an MPG thread that previous gen got better MPG in Sport - that would be a big NOPE!! It immediately drops about 4-5 MPG after switching to 4A.
  • I tried switching to "ECO Idle" just in case it helps charge the battery faster when coasting but this likely is only affecting actual stationary idling (I didnt notice a change in the RPM range when coasting)
To sum up:
  • I *know* how to baby an Ecoboost to get optimal MPG, see my initial post. I tried all my tricks AND MORE and cannot get anywhere near the Powerboost EPA ratings of 24/24/(24)
    • My prior Ecoboost had sticker EPA of 18/25/(21) which I routinely shattered
I do not believe it to be any of the following reasons:
  • Temperature (both trips were roughly 50-65 degrees F)
  • Gas type (both trips were likely "winter" gas one month apart)
  • Break-in period (users @currybob and others got >24 or even >26 MPG in their first few hundred miles!)
    • Plus Bob and I basically have the same truck! Curb weight of 6000# 4x4 King Ranch
  • Wind (there was no noticeable breeze either trip)
Lastly, in the first 120 miles or so in city driving, I have not come close to 24 MPG on any trip. Always between 18 (not trying) or 22 (TRYING REALLY HARD). I was attributing this to learning curve but I am not seeing light at the end of the tunnel if there isn't even ANY speed to "run up the score" above 26 MPG!