Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
Technically there is still some role for the Hybrid at Interstate cruising. You are correct that you will not be seeing EV miles at that fast of a pace, but you may very well be getting some portion of the required torque from the electric motor as assist.

I say that based on my Powerboost at 75mph VS my 2018 F150 3.5EB. I have made the same 400 mile interstate drive many times and both trucks are very similar.
(2018 KingRanch 3:31 2021 Platinum 3:73)

It's actually kind of interesting that the Powerboost with a 30 gallon tank will give a very similar prediction of range as the Ecoboost gave with 36 gallon tank.

Even though the gearing is not in favor of the Powerboost, it still gets 3.5-4 mpg better than my previous truck at 75-80mph.
I had 997km range, did a 40km night time highway drive, 0 traffic adaptive cruise control on the entire time at 110km/h…I ended my trip with 870km range….0.6km electric Which was getting to the on ramp from my work.

Yes you read that right….127km lost range on a 40km trip…no towing, no weight in the bed…nothing.

Why is my PowerBoost guzzling like it’s a 6.2L f250…very frustrated!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I had 997km range, did a 40km night time highway drive, 0 traffic adaptive cruise control on the entire time at 110km/h…I ended my trip with 870km range….0.6km electric Which was getting to the on ramp from my work.

Yes you read that right….127km lost range on a 40km trip…no towing, no weight in the bed…nothing.

Flat land?
Wind?
Elevation?
Winter fuel at last fill up?

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
Very happy with the Powerboost on my recent 5100 mile trip from Iowa to the coast of Maine!
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_2542.JPG

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Most hybrids are not meant for primary highway top gear driving.

Electric motors have a maximum power output/hp capability.

Torque gets you to speed, HP keeps you at speed.

The powerboost has something like only 41 or 43hp of the electric motor. I forget, don't want to look it up right now.

So, if the load you are requiring at any given speed requires more than that 43hp, the engine has to work to maintain the load. This is a 5800 pound thing, and at 70mph, and depending on wind, everything else, likely requires well more hp than 43 to keep it at the speed you want.

Believe it or not, lighter cars like the camry and Fusion has 105 to 113 electric motor HP on a much lighter vehicle. So they will likely be able to use more battery only time at 70mph cruising speeds.

Hybrids aren't meant for highway as much as they are meant for lower speed.

It's lower gears and lower speed that uses the most fuel, with accelerations, etc. Cars emit more emissions in stop and go, etc. Lower gears are almost always over the low rpm 1400 or 1700 we see cruising at 70mph. A simple 3rd gear at 2000rpm makes more junk than 70mph in 8th or 10th gear.

It's why in the city, stop sign to stop sign, you can be hitting 30mph sign to sign, electric. The truck is requiring less than 43hp for those jaunts.

Hybrids benefit the mpg and emissions at lower speeds and stop and go and that's always generally been their purpose. The added benefit or torque etc are icing on the cake.

If you are still thinking about the 43 electric hp motor in the f150 but camrys and fusions who are lighter have over 100 electric hp, yeah me too.

But it is what it is.

So to me, the key is to be aware of what the specs of your hybrid is, and then try to do what you can to work within those specs.

So if 43hp is the max, I keep that in mind, and realize that on each decline in the interstate, I am likely to be able to maintain 70 or 65 with just 43hp, and I will do what I can to trigger the engine off for as long as I can.

I have an article stating everything that I do to max the benefits of my Hybrids.

It is HERE. I also have a video on YouTube which shows me driving for 1.75 hours straight, doing all kinds, but also at highway, 70 to 80, and triggering it off for bits at a time keeping mileage up. That video is 4 videos down on HERE.

Hope all this helped.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
How are you getting so many electric miles when driving at highway speeds? My PowerBoost literally gets 0 electric miles with highway driving, even if I’m going the limit or having it in Adaptive Cruise… I can only get electric miles when city driving and then the mileage is amazing. However, my drive to work is all highway and is extremely frustrating.
@Josh35 -

There’s a bit of a trick to it, in my experience anyway. After cresting a hill and getting up to speed, I tap the brake (as long as no one is behind me) and coast for 1-2 seconds. Realizing that there is very little power required, the ICE shuts off and the truck goes full electric mode. It will stay there until you need more power than the battery can provide - either by accelerating or going up hill.

About half of my commute is highway and most of the rest is a 50 mph secondary road. At my last fill up, about 30% of my miles were electric (that’s 230 electric miles out of 747 total miles driven on a single tank of gas).

Best of luck to you!

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 525534B6-5848-4EE6-AA1A-3A557CBF40BC

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Josh35 -

There’s a bit of a trick to it, in my experience anyway. After cresting a hill and getting up to speed, I tap the brake (as long as no one is behind me) and coast for 1-2 seconds. Realizing that there is very little power required, the ICE shuts off and the truck goes full electric mode. It will stay there until you need more power than the battery can provide - either by accelerating or going up hill.

About half of my commute is highway and most of the rest is a 50 mph secondary road. At my last fill up, about 30% of my miles were electric (that’s 230 electric miles out of 747 total miles driven on a single tank of gas).

Best of luck to you!

525534B6-5848-4EE6-AA1A-3A557CBF40BC.jpeg
That's what I'm talking Bout.

Platty_PB

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum PowerBoost SuperCrew
@Josh35 -

Best of luck to you!

If only I could get away with that here in Colorado. To me, it feels like anything over a 0% incline requires more oomph than the electric is able to provide. Essentially, 99.99% of roads in the Denver metro area require ICE power. I also have to make sure I completely let off the gas pedal when I hit most any intersection because the potholes and bumps inevitably cause just enough blip from your foot to kick the gas motor back on.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic

It may have had something to do with your last fill up. Possibly the truck was at a slight angle and the auto shut off did not completely fill the tank. Once out on the road the fuel in the tank level out and by the time your trip was finished it had recalibrated your remaining kms. Just my two cents worth

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
By the way folks, winter gas began getting shipped in to places that use it, mid September.

I have an article that touches on it HERE.

We are end of October now. Winter gas is going to give you worse MPG.

If you've been getting used to your summer mileage, please adjust expectations for the next 6 months.

Also, batteries will be holding different charges than you were used to in 90 degree weather.

I'll bet you notice this: in summer u could start the Powerboost and it would be straight battery. And these days, it goes to idle immediately, or very quickly into it...

Winter gas, plus the colder air on battery. You're gonna feel some changes.

Last edited:

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
If only I could get away with that here in Colorado. To me, it feels like anything over a 0% incline requires more oomph than the electric is able to provide. Essentially, 99.99% of roads in the Denver metro area require ICE power. I also have to make sure I completely let off the gas pedal when I hit most any intersection because the potholes and bumps inevitably cause just enough blip from your foot to kick the gas motor back on.
I'm not getting 25+ mpg like that dash image you quoted, but I find that my truck gets into electric only mode fairly easily depending on where I'm at / which way I'm headed here in Metro-Denver. Any time you're on a downward slope you should be able to get it into electric, either by just letting off the gas or giving a small brake tap to force it.

This morning my commute was 3.9 miles, with 1.9 being electric and a trip MPG of 22.2. That was probably not even as good as it could have been, since it seems like the truck needs to warm up (or charge the battery?) before it goes into electric mode. It was only about 37 degrees this morning and the truck had been sitting overnight.

Someone posted an article with tips on how to get the most out of your hybrid, which I've been using some of those tips the last couple of days. I think one of the biggest changes since I read the article was the "try to use electric from a stop and then once you're rolling, give it some gas to get up to speed (~5mph over speed limit), then coast / brake tap" method to introduce the electric.

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not getting 25+ mpg like that dash image you quoted, but I find that my truck gets into electric only mode fairly easily depending on where I'm at / which way I'm headed here in Metro-Denver. Any time you're on a downward slope you should be able to get it into electric, either by just letting off the gas or giving a small brake tap to force it.

This morning my commute was 3.9 miles, with 1.9 being electric and a trip MPG of 22.2. That was probably not even as good as it could have been, since it seems like the truck needs to warm up (or charge the battery?) before it goes into electric mode. It was only about 37 degrees this morning and the truck had been sitting overnight.

Someone posted an article with tips on how to get the most out of your hybrid, which I've been using some of those tips the last couple of days. I think one of the biggest changes since I read the article was the "try to use electric from a stop and then once you're rolling, give it some gas to get up to speed (~5mph over speed limit), then coast / brake tap" method to introduce the electric.
Hey, that was my article, and I am glad to see some or at least one of them working out for you!

He is referencing this article HERE

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? untitled-video

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Josh35 -

Best of luck to you!

This is an average of 23mph. Even if the hours were 8 hours shorter, the avg MPH would be 31.

If it were 16 hours, half that logged time, it'd then be avg if 46MPH.

But you have 32 hours if run ready time (that's on and off battery) and averaging 23mph.

How slow are the back roads if averaging down from highway miles (assume 55mph at least) gets as low as 23?

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
Without doing anything to boost the mileage, just driving in normal mode, I got 22.3 on a 1200 mile trip last week. A mixture of flat Florida Interstate and hilly Smoky Mountains sight seeing. Nothing spectacular but better than most other pickups.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Without doing anything to boost the mileage, just driving in normal mode, I got 22.3 on a 1200 mile trip last week. A mixture of flat Florida Interstate and hilly Smoky Mountains sight seeing. Nothing spectacular but better than most other pickups.
I just sold my 2015 Canyon and after 63K my average was 21.9 mpg if I can get that on a truck that weights nearly twice that I will be tickled!! Not to mention the addl comfort I will experience.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
from this morning in
  • Normal mode
  • just under 1k on ODO
    Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20211028_060840
Sponsored