Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Snip

If I am interstate driving at 75 mph on cruise control. . . I’m very lucky to get 15-16 mpg.
That alone tells me something is not lining up with what your truck is returning in mpg and what the average Powerboost is "normally" returning. That's WAY off. And whatever the reason, it translates to all the other (city) results for you VS what other folks are getting.

Or put another way, the ONE driving condition that we all should have similar fuel economy is on cruise control at 75mph. It's a fixed state, afterall. It removes the different driving styles that certainly can create variances.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
That alone tells me something is not lining up with what your truck is returning in mpg and what the average Powerboost is "normally" returning. That's WAY off. And whatever the reason, it translates to all the other (city) results for you VS what other folks are getting.

Or put another way, the ONE driving condition that we all should have similar fuel economy is on cruise control at 75mph. It's a fixed state, afterall. It removes the different driving styles that certainly can create variances.
Ok with with my Laitat PB have approx. 3500 miles, live in Miami which is flat and hot and humid. Generally use Reg. gas, overall have a heavy foot, 60% highway 40% local. I just filled up and it showed the range of 643 miles or approx. 21 mpg. That said some days given the drive, traffic my "foot" etc. anywhere from 19 to 24 so this 21 average seems about right.

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
Thinking comparisons from truck to truck here on the forum are not valid without knowing the rear gear and tire size.
My Lariat PB has Max Tow, a 3.73, and 20" tires. Getting 20-22, which seems about right as equipped.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Thinking comparisons from truck to truck here on the forum are not valid without knowing the rear gear and tire size.
My Lariat PB has Max Tow, a 3.73, and 20" tires. Getting 20-22, which seems about right as equipped.
My truck has the standard rear end and 20" tires.

Sponsored

Dino79

First Name
duston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f 150 platinum 3.5 hybrid 4x4 screw antimatter
Occupation
US navy
Ive been keeping one of my trip odometers running simce i got the truck. Just went over 25600 miles on it. I have averaged 22.9 mpg. Thats with long distance towing trailers and boats, 80+ mph on the interstate driving back and forth from jacksonville florida to mississippi multiple times and normal city driving. My hand calculations are pretty close to the computer so i believe these are accurate. Also have 4137 electric only miles.

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
On my last trip of 239 miles the computer said I got 22.2 mpg but my hand calcs based on the pump resulted in 21.45 mpg. Mix of city and highway with plenty of stop and go and idling.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's an A/B comparison of with/without a navigation route being engaged.
Like I said, I actually prefer the smaller scaled gauges. And it's cool how it splits the top gauges and pushes them over.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20210814_190843

OP
OP

pushrods

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Sport
Occupation
Retired IBM field engineer
Im thinking the PB is only available with 3.73 in rear for 4x4 and 3.55 for 2WD. Only 18 or 20 inch wheels also, maybe 20 not available on 2WD

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Im thinking the PB is only available with 3.73 in rear for 4x4 and 3.55 for 2WD. Only 18 or 20 inch wheels also, maybe 20 not available on 2WD
I have Lariat PB 2 wheel drive with 20" tires.

Sponsored

Ark LTD

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (ordering), Range Rover
This is an interesting point about tire size. My Limited has 22” factory tires. Do larger tires correlate to less mpg?

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This is an interesting point about tire size. My Limited has 22” factory tires. Do larger tires correlate to less mpg?
Larger tires but not necessarily larger wheels. The Limited has slightly smaller diameter tires than the 20" Platinum.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
Im averaging about 23 mpg city/freeway driving. Purchased our Powerboost in early August and currently have 3500 miles on it. I tried getting the electric to kick in by tapping the brakes coming off freeways or on level streets but overall that doesnt impact the average. I always use the eco setting and drive pretty conservatively but I still dont get much electric contribution. I am ok with the regular driving performance but unfortunately the towing mileage is just terrible. We have a light ( 4400lb) 26 ft travel trailer and no matter how I drive, or any speed between 55 and 70, what setting I choose ( tow- haul, normal, eco) I am barely getting 10 mpg. I was expecting 14. Good thing it has the 30 gal tank, at least I get decent range but still very disappointed. Previously towed the same trailer with 2020 Explorer and did get 12-14 mpg so not sure what the problem is with this pickup.
Try using the +/- buttons to remove gears 8,9,10 when towing up any rise and avoid the turbo boost gauge from showing boost by being in lower gear. If the turbo shows boost, it is sucking fuel that can be avoided somewhat by keeping rpms a little higher. - button removes gear starting with 10 and + button brings it back to being available In Drive mode. Those buttons hold it in manual gears if using in M mode.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try using the +/- buttons to remove gears 8,9,10 when towing up any rise and avoid the turbo boost gauge from showing boost by being in lower gear. If the turbo shows boost, it is sucking fuel that can be avoided somewhat by keeping rpms a little higher. - button removes gear starting with 10 and + button brings it back to being available In Drive mode. Those buttons hold it in manual gears if using in M mode.
I gather you have towed with an Ecoboost before. :)
I learned that fuel management (AND engine coolant temp) technique from a tuner who was dialing my previous Ecoboost in for towing in the rockies. (I live on flatland and have plenty of access to 93 octane. But when I'm towing the toy hauler in the summer I would be dealing with grades, and summer temps, and 91octane.

Once I was able to monitor all the various parameters through ODB, it was very interesting to see the correlation of boost VS RPM, VS engine temps VS fuel economy.

Your suggestions are dead on with the real world experience and the tuner teaching me how to "manage" an Ecoboost. I rarely unlocked any of the overdrive gears. (8,9,10) and fuel mileage increased a couple of mpg's, but it was the engine temps that really benefitted.