Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
I complained of rough shifting and other strange behaviors. I told them it was a very early build so update the firmware and mappings.
Was there a specific TSB or any info I can use to send to my local dealer for the transmission flash?
Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I changed mine at 1700 and honestly that was 1675 miles longer than I wanted that oil in it. I'm actually very engaged in engine break-in, but not because I personally am an expert. But a very close friend is an engine builder and actually specializes in the 3.5EB. I just do what he tells me and this is my 3rd Ecoboost. So far I have had very good fortune with them so I continue to follow his advice.

It was him actually that made the comment, when I informed him that a swapped oil/filter at 1700 miles, "that's about 1675 later than I would have". Lol
Please do tell all those insider secrets LOL

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Wouldn't downshifting result in higher RPMs, and thus more into the boost?
Actually, just the opposite. Get out on a stretch of road where you can put it on cruise control. Really easy to see this if you are cruising at interstate speeds and the truck is in an overdrive gear. Even easier if you are towing a trailer!
When you approach an incline you will see the truck go into boost, rather than downshifting. (and if you have a method to monitor engine coolant temps, you will see the temps immediately start to climb)

Now manually lock out the gear you are in, forcing the truck to drop a gear ratio, thus the rpms climb, and you will see the boost drop several psi simultaneously. You will also see the coolant temps start dropping as a result of both the turbos dumping less heat into the cooling stack, and the water pump volume increase because of the rpms.

These trucks do NOT work on the same principle of an old school bolt on Turbo and wastegate. Rather the software is running the motor based on a specific torque request. That torque request is the "Target" that the motor shoots for with the variables that it has to draw on. So at the risk of oversimplification, your truck is being requested to create the torque necessary to maintain the speed your cruise control is set at. When you raised the rpms of the truck, the truck automatically met the target with LESS boost needed to achieve the target.

Really, the whole approach Ford took when it released the 3.5 Twin Turbo Variable Valve Timing Direct Injection motor in 2011 was truly bold and fascinating. To the consumer it was just the truck they bought with a V6 that ran better than expected.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
4000k and I finally took the truck in for service, dead outlet in bed, and 2 recalls.
I complained of rough shifting and other strange behaviors. I told them it was a very early build so update the firmware and mappings.
That worked!
Smooth now an instead of 17% electric miles, I am getting 27% electric in 98 degree weather!

(waiting for new electrical outlet in bed)
I REALLY think this is the key to why I don't get the city MPG that others do and can rarely get 24MPG... Folks have mentioned how long in minutes they can go while in electric, and mine is never more than say 20-25 seconds on flats. People have claimed minutes! I think the thresholds and watermarks on my battery are not optimal but do not know how to tell them what to look for without someone asking "what watermarks?" or just saying "MPG will vary"

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Actually, just the opposite. Get out on a stretch of road where you can put it on cruise control. Really easy to see this if you are cruising at interstate speeds and the truck is in an overdrive gear. Even easier if you are towing a trailer!
When you approach an incline you will see the truck go into boost, rather than downshifting. (and if you have a method to monitor engine coolant temps, you will see the temps immediately start to climb)

Now manually lock out the gear you are in, forcing the truck to drop a gear ratio, thus the rpms climb, and you will see the boost drop several psi simultaneously. You will also see the coolant temps start dropping as a result of both the turbos dumping less heat into the cooling stack, and the water pump volume increase because of the rpms.
Can absolutely vouch for this! I make it a whack-a-mole game for me (hey, it gives me something to do!) when I'm cruising at 60mph towing. When I see the little boost meter pop up when I'm cruising in 8th gear, I quickly lock it out and boost goes away. But I always make sure to free up 8th again when slightly descending an over/underpass, or if we have tail wind. I always like to check because 8th with no boost def is better MPG than 7th no boost, but 8th boost is awful MPG compared to 7th no boost.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can absolutely vouch for this! I make it a whack-a-mole game for me (hey, it gives me something to do!) when I'm cruising at 60mph towing. When I see the little boost meter pop up when I'm cruising in 8th gear, I quickly lock it out and boost goes away. But I always make sure to free up 8th again when slightly descending an over/underpass, or if we have tail wind. I always like to check because 8th with no boost def is better MPG than 7th no boost, but 8th boost is awful MPG compared to 7th no boost.
You sir are an Ecoboost tow Master!

There's so much available to the pilot in the cockpit to do in participation, especially when towing. I find it enjoyable and intriguing, especially when climbing one of those grades that have most huffing and puffing in the slow lane. I zip on by in my little 1/2 ton beast. :)

Admittedly I don't really tow that heavy, but it's still just as much of a parachute back there as the longer ones.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Was there a specific TSB or any info I can use to send to my local dealer for the transmission flash?
If you are having some ruff shifts they can clear you shifting memory and it puts it back to smooth, or something like that. They did mine a week or so ago due to it starting to shift to 3 a little ruff. Fixed it perfectly.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I've taken multiple different routes too/from work so far this week to vary load on the drivetrain as much as possible. The drive in this morning resulted in 30.4 mpg on the dash with >50% of the miles being fully electric.

I've been thoroughly impressed with the platform so far. Highway mileage won't be better than my car, but my typically weekly trip has nearly matched what my car was doing. I'll find out what a highway trip is like this weekend.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Wouldn't downshifting result in higher RPMs, and thus more into the boost?
Lots of other forums on this too, but with ecoboosts, the computer will only spool up boost if needed, so if you are at a higher rpm, you can the same power with less boost - hence why I would downshift to maintain speed and reduce boost.

The ecoboosts, 3.5 especially drink way less fuel without the turbos spooling. Many found this out during towing.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
You sir are an Ecoboost tow Master!

There's so much available to the pilot in the cockpit to do in participation, especially when towing. I find it enjoyable and intriguing, especially when climbing one of those grades that have most huffing and puffing in the slow lane. I zip on by in my little 1/2 ton beast. :)

Admittedly I don't really tow that heavy, but it's still just as much of a parachute back there as the longer ones.
There are so many fun things in the cluster! I wish I could add the tow status (that shows grades) into MyView so that I can switch around from EV coach to tow status screens without going all the way back to toggle Towing/MyView. I like to use the adaptive cruise and the grade info helps me out: on flats I lock in 60mph, on 1° I dip it to 57mph and at 2° I dip to 55mph and it seems to work pretty well, along with the upper gear lockouts.

But yes between the hybrid driving game, the Ecoboost whackamole, and managing grades there is plenty of stuff to keep me from zoning!

Sponsored

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
Got mine last month and have 3500 miles on it so far. Averaging 22.4 mpg. Slightly better on mixed driving than hauling 80 on the freeway, always better when on adaptive cruise control and letting the truck manage the speed as much as I can. Best I've seen is about 26, lowest 19.6 in some twisty mountains.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? PXL_20210731_005212665
Not a bad trip tonight. Not sure what my tank average is up to, but I believe it's over 23 mpg and it was in the teens when I picked it up.

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Curious as to whether or not those of you who seem to have long electric mile trips are able to pull off a stop light in electric mode.

Perhaps it's because of my route, but I can barely creep off a stop light under electric power before my engine wants to kick on, and I'm barely pressing the throttle in in an attempt to goad as much electric power as I can.

My truck has about 1100 miles on it and we'll be taking it for a long trip this week... however interested to see what others experiences are with it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That electric motor is a tiny little thing and I don't think the other folks on the road would tolerate the rate of acceleration that motor would be capable of. :)

On the other hand, depending on wind resistance, I think the math on how many horsepower it takes to sustain 55mph was something very low..... Like 12HP. So that little 47HP motor is more than up to that task.

I don't mind the little motor because of the brilliant packaging Ford did with it, but I would have gladly paid more for a bigger battery! I personally believe that battery is worth about 5mpg. So just think how cool it would be to double or triple that?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Curious as to whether or not those of you who seem to have long electric mile trips are able to pull off a stop light in electric mode.
I've had two starts from stop with no gas engine use, but most of the time it needs the engine. I wish they had a more powerful motor and slightly bigger battery so it was easier to get moving from a stop.
Sponsored