Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
We have long stretches of 85mph speed limit and after traveling them many times it jades you to 90mph (5 over, a normal pace in West Texas)

So in the world of 65mph, 80 feeeels like 15mph over your normal.

But the same is relative for those feeeeelings when 90mph becomes a norm.

Although admittedly ANY pick up truck is a brick in the wind, so as calm as things seem, your sucking fuel to push through it.
Sponsored

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
I haven't hit 106, but I have done a couple of wide-open throttle events while being all alone doing 85 in a 75mph road.
Well, my last truck nuked an oil seal in one of the turbo's on the first day I had it after I put my foot all the way down.

I'm going to let this one get a few miles on it before I really wring it out.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Sounds like some new truck owners should read about the recommended new engine break in process...

Just saying :unsure:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like some new truck owners should read about the recommended new engine break in process...

Just saying :unsure:
Yea but what can you do about the 57 miles that were on the brand new truck that you purchased. You know a few things about those miles, and they don't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies. Lol

Inventory has been very very low, as we all know and the truck I bought was a fully optioned Platty Powerboost, and one of only 2 in stock. I'll never know how many test drivers those 57 miles spanned, but it was quite a few.

You just KNOW that someone(s) had to have thought "let's see what this thing can do" without driving it long enough for all the fluids to be at normal operating temps.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I'll be the one to ask...did you really take a picture running 106MPH?

I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with...taking a pic while running over 100MPH or that the truck is only running 2600 RPM's while doing it.

I just got my Powerboost yesterday and I haven't rolled over 100 miles yet...but I'm already sitting over 23 MPG's.
Try 160 man.

106 is a walk in the park and max speed limiter. It would pull to 140 quickly no doubt if Un governed. Probably need a driveshaft loop before we take a Powerboost to 140 though. Lol.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? B8D19BF0-824B-4C52-8803-35786B86B7C1

Sponsored

macsinbragg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f 150
I was over 80 a few times in the 1½ days I've had it so far trying to pass people that were barely doing 65 until I tried to pass them. It is effortless getting there, though I wouldn't consider trying to take a picture.
This is why I ordered mine with the PB engine. Here's my drive to work this morning. Almost all of the second half of my trip was electric.
PXL_20210726_104013545.jpg

macsinbragg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f 150
I am consistently getting 7.8 liters per 100 K. that is just around 30 mpg for those below the 49th. Commute is 55 km or about 35 miles. 50% highway 50% city. Really pleased so far.

I should mention that it is eco mode

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yea but what can you do about the 57 miles that were on the brand new truck that you purchased. You know a few things about those miles, and they don't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies. Lol

Inventory has been very very low, as we all know and the truck I bought was a fully optioned Platty Powerboost, and one of only 2 in stock. I'll never know how many test drivers those 57 miles spanned, but it was quite a few.

You just KNOW that someone(s) had to have thought "let's see what this thing can do" without driving it long enough for all the fluids to be at normal operating temps.
Well you can't change that as you said but the break-in period is 500 for non-towing, that you can control. Mine came from Ford with 66 miles on it. That is because it had been moved to airport storage site pending some additional QC, it was such an early build. Others have had the some thing happen because of chip shortages. That could be a reason for some of the 57 miles yours had as well as test drives.

I also cannot help myself but I drop the oil at 1500 miles and add full synthetic. Can't stand the idea of all the break-in contaminants flowing around.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I didn't take a picture, but my drive home had ~1 mi less electric, ~1 mi more distance, and was ~22mpg. With a reference point of 1 day, my truck is getting about the same fuel economy on my work commute as my car was, and even if it's close, I'll take it. I'm sure highway driving will be lower though by 15-20%, but that's fine with me.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also cannot help myself but I drop the oil at 1500 miles and add full synthetic. Can't stand the idea of all the break-in contaminants flowing around.
I changed mine at 1700 and honestly that was 1675 miles longer than I wanted that oil in it. I'm actually very engaged in engine break-in, but not because I personally am an expert. But a very close friend is an engine builder and actually specializes in the 3.5EB. I just do what he tells me and this is my 3rd Ecoboost. So far I have had very good fortune with them so I continue to follow his advice.

It was him actually that made the comment, when I informed him that a swapped oil/filter at 1700 miles, "that's about 1675 later than I would have". Lol

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I changed mine at 1700 and honestly that was 1675 miles longer than I wanted that oil in it. I'm actually very engaged in engine break-in, but not because I personally am an expert. But a very close friend is an engine builder and actually specializes in the 3.5EB. I just do what he tells me and this is my 3rd Ecoboost. So far I have had very good fortune with them so I continue to follow his advice.

It was him actually that made the comment, when I informed him that a swapped oil/filter at 1700 miles, "that's about 1675 later than I would have". Lol
I've had excellent service with all my Eco's. Your friend sounds very smart.

I did want enough engine use to get everything seated and broke in so I could flush it all out when I changed it and went to full synthetic.

I have read a lot of post were folks actually sent oil samples out for analysis. While it is expected for a new engine to have high levels of various metals and chemicals in the oil during it's break-in period, I didn't want it still in there for around 7,500 miles. Plus I'm not a fan of the synthetic blend that Ford uses.

I'm a take care of your engine so your engine will take care of you, kind of person. Lol

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
4000k and I finally took the truck in for service, dead outlet in bed, and 2 recalls.
I complained of rough shifting and other strange behaviors. I told them it was a very early build so update the firmware and mappings.
That worked!
Smooth now an instead of 17% electric miles, I am getting 27% electric in 98 degree weather!

(waiting for new electrical outlet in bed)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4000k and I finally took the truck in for service, dead outlet in bed, and 2 recalls.
I complained of rough shifting and other strange behaviors. I told them it was a very early build so update the firmware and mappings.
That worked!
Smooth now an instead of 17% electric miles, I am getting 27% electric in 98 degree weather!

(waiting for new electrical outlet in bed)
That's great news and I bet you ARE happy with that kind of improvements.

I'm guessing that these Powerboost trucks with their vast and elaborate software systems are likely to have quite a bit of ongoing tweaking and revising as we early adopters provide Ford with far more data to work with.