Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Completely stock truck.

Still under a thousand miles. Have been getting about 19 mpg. I generally do 80 on the interstate.

Had to pick family up from airport Sunday. About 30 miles away on interstate. I set the cruise at 67 both ways. I got 24 mpg that trip.

It felt soooo slow ?
Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
23.6 combo rural city.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I now have about 4K miles on my Powerboost. To date over that 4K miles, the average is about 18-19 MPG. That includes three trips to Tahoe and one to LA, each of which includes some serious climbs. Over the last tank I got about 19. I drive to maximize mileage, with a light foot and usually in Eco or Normal. On the highway I cruise at 71-72, and I’ve used premium most of the time (though it’s shitty CA 10% Ethanol).

Overall, I’m somewhat disappointed. I expected low 20s average. Even during small trips to town, I often get 15-16 MPG even though about 20% of the miles are electric. I’m not sure I understand why my mileage is so much less than what everyone else seems to be getting.
This may sound completely crazy, but I virtually always fill up at one specific Arco station, which is notably cheaper. I wonder if there is more ethanol in this gas, or something else that could be specific to this brand or station. Next time I'll spend more and try Shell or Chevron and see if it makes a difference. With my gentle driving habits, I don't understand how this truck consistently gets 19 MPG.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
This may sound completely crazy, but I virtually always fill up at one specific Arco station, which is notably cheaper. I wonder if there is more ethanol in this gas, or something else that could be specific to this brand or station. Next time I'll spend more and try Shell or Chevron and see if it makes a difference. With my gentle driving habits, I don't understand how this truck consistently gets 19 MPG.
There are driving situations where mileage will always be poor, and it isn't your fault or the truck's. If you live in a neighborhood, but are right there after you turn into the neighborhood, then you don't get the extra 1/4 or 1/2 mile of driving to your house on all electric which can be a good boost to the individual trip mileage. Or if you live somewhere and the speed limit is 45 or 50 and you spend all your time going between lights a half mile apart. Even a Honda Accord would get worse mileage, for an Accord, compared to someone that can go 2 or 3 miles between having to stop in "city" equivalent driving.

While my overall average for all city driving is sitting in the 22 MPG or so range, I have had trips where I parked the truck and my average for that trip was 17. You just may have a driving situation that sucks, maybe always getting stuck behind drivers that vary speed, or you are in an area with hardly any turn lanes so you are always slowing then accelerating for people turning. The hybrid system can only really help under minimal load conditions, any time you need to accelerate even gently and that engine kicks on, it's still moving 2.5 tons of truck.

Deleted member 2919

I don't have an Ecoboost, but I have been testing Chevron and Shell premium against each other, roughly sticking to one for 1000 miles then switching.

I have found that the Shell premium yields better MPG than Chevron.

Sponsored

ToddnTX

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Dodge Durango, 07 GMC Sierra. 2021 Ford F-150
Completely stock.
Yeah I’m not sure why your truck is preforming that way, even in the city with average MPH 40 you should see at least 22 MPG.

is It incredibly windy where you’re at?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
This is my latest

I run a Top Tier fuel but always 87 Octane. I have pulled my 18 foot bass boat on at least 3 times that were fairly long distances (40 to 60 miles one way) and this is my life time average since I picked my truck up. It had 60+ miles on it when I got it.

I live in the SE rural, so I guess my fuel in the area doesn't have as many smog additives as maybe some larger cities. Really don't know for sure how all of that breaks down.

Very little interstate but a fair amount of 4 lane and lots of short 5 to 10 mile trips. I have of course played with the power some just to feel the G forces but mostly easy driving.

My average is slowly climbing, at 1500 miles the average was 19.4 lifetime.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1622808281662

Deleted member 2919

How much better?
0.3 to 0.4

Like I said I do roughly 1000 miles on chevron, 1000 on shell for a total of about 5000 miles now. I am not sure what to make of it, but I do know that the shell is performing better.

Coachboz

First Name
Coach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum | 3.5L PB Hyb
Wow, many of these are very impressive! I'm at 1600 miles, lifetime at 18.8. I drive in mixed highway city, but mostly highway as a % of total time. I live in CA area with some decent hills. I drive about 70-75 on the highway. Eco mode almost all the time and try to drive with EV coach when off the highway. I didn't expect great mileage anyway, but many of you are getting outstanding mileage. Even with towing!

Sponsored

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_0798

My favorite dash pic. 78 MPH in electric mode. Engine is off, no oil pressure. Whadda great truck!

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
The hybrid system can only really help under minimal load conditions, any time you need to accelerate even gently and that engine kicks on, it's still moving 2.5 tons of truck.
I wonder if this doesn't answer a question I've had in the back of my mind. I have a 2.7 EB (sorry, lurking here in this sub-section to improve my knowledge), and I was really tempted to try and find a way in to a PB. But, the timing and selection just really wasn't in my favor when it was time to buy. I'm really happy with the truck itself, but my city driving is only about 16-16.5 in that 2.7 EB. So, the nagging question has been would have that PB been a lot better for me? So, here's the rub. We live up on a ridge a few miles out of town. It's about a 450 ft elevation gain over the course of a couple miles. Those miles are through twisty roads that are between 25-35 mph speed limit. Over those 2 miles, you're almost constantly climbing up until the very end where you reach the top, then about another 1/3 of a mile is our house. What I'm thinking is that even for a PB, most of that drive back up to our house would probably be on gas, just like my current truck. I'm sure the PB would be better overall, no doubt, but my location and driving routes wouldn't be playing into it's favor, either.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I wonder if this doesn't answer a question I've had in the back of my mind. I have a 2.7 EB (sorry, lurking here in this sub-section to improve my knowledge), and I was really tempted to try and find a way in to a PB. But, the timing and selection just really wasn't in my favor when it was time to buy. I'm really happy with the truck itself, but my city driving is only about 16-16.5 in that 2.7 EB. So, the nagging question has been would have that PB been a lot better for me? So, here's the rub. We live up on a ridge a few miles out of town. It's about a 450 ft elevation gain over the course of a couple miles. Those miles are through twisty roads that are between 25-35 mph speed limit. Over those 2 miles, you're almost constantly climbing up until the very end where you reach the top, then about another 1/3 of a mile is our house. What I'm thinking is that even for a PB, most of that drive back up to our house would probably be on gas, just like my current truck. I'm sure the PB would be better overall, no doubt, but my location and driving routes wouldn't be playing into it's favor, either.
The PowerBoost can run dual (electric and gas) when under high torque requirements. So up hill it will boost your gas motor requiring less fuel and down hills charge the battery. That would also improve your MPGs.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
The PowerBoost can run dual (electric and gas) when under high torque requirements. So up hill it will boost your gas motor requiring less fuel and down hills charge the battery. That would also improve your MPGs.
Ahh, interesting. I would hear people talk about "and then the gas engine kicks in" and in my own mind, I translated that into a binary operation - it was past the electric portion. Thanks, that's very good info to know!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ahh, interesting. I would hear people talk about "and then the gas engine kicks in" and in my own mind, I translated that into a binary operation - it was past the electric portion. Thanks, that's very good info to know!
You can see it when it goes 100% electric but you can't feel it. There is a display you can select that shows the power system and battery charging. It shows power flow from the engine or battery or both, you can see it there.
Sponsored