Sponsored

What is your experience with Blue Cruise?

beyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Where I live, I have to drive 2 hours to get to the first interstate where Blue Cruise is supported - therefore, I have not had an opportunity to use it much.

I don't see many if any posts about Blue Cruise being unsafe or not working well for people - but I am curious.

How often (when it's available to you) do you use it?
Have you ever had any issues with it?

Appreciate your time.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
BC 1.0 is meh. Opinions on BC will change drastically once the newer version is rolled out to the masses. Right now, it is very few people who have access to the updates that give you improved BC performance. The new version of BC is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what is out there right now.

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Where I live, I have to drive 2 hours to get to the first interstate where Blue Cruise is supported - therefore, I have not had an opportunity to use it much.

I don't see many if any posts about Blue Cruise being unsafe or not working well for people - but I am curious.

How often (when it's available to you) do you use it?
Have you ever had any issues with it?

Appreciate your time.
I use it dang near everyday on my way to work up a major interstate. It's not perfect but it works well for what it is.

I certainly wouldn't pay the $800 Ford is asking though once my freebie from a TSB expires. Maybe the deal of $600 for 3 years if its offered to me, especially if BC 1.4 is ever going to be delivered and is all its cracked up to be.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Early 2021 so I only had Bluecruise as a promise. March 16, 2021 delivery and it wasn't until March 23, 2022 that I used FDRS to update everything and get it working. This early version would drop when the stripes split off for an exit, get confused, etc. IT worked but had some rough edges.

I recently FDRSed and downloaded everything to get to BC 1.4. I just got back from a 90 mile each way cruise on I35. Outstanding! Touch the turn signal and it changes lanes with out "hold the wheel" messages. Only dropped out once as I transitioned a construction zone so quite happy with the results.

I still don't like/use the predictive speed assist. Here in central Texas with lots of access roads adjacent to the interstate the F150 gets confused between the speed limits of the interstate and the access road. A 80 MPH to 55 MPH rapid transition while cruising the interstate with no traffic ahead can cause problems with the cars behind you. And wakes up the wife!

Ultimately I tend to use it as an assist... keeping a hand on or near the wheel. Good thing too as an 18 wheeler drifted 3 feet into my lane as we were overtaking. I don't know if bluecruise would have avoided that accident as we were almost past... approaching the cab. I also like it during rush hour letting the F150 manage creeping forward and lane.

Last edited:

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I still don't like/use the predictive speed assist. Here in central Texas with lots of access roads adjacent to the interstate the F150 gets confused between the speed limits of the interstate and the access road. A 80 MPH to 55 MPH rapid transition while cruising the interstate with no traffic ahead can cause problems with the cars behind you.
If I were to have an issue this would be it but it's not BC specific. You can turn it off and still use BC.

Sponsored

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I rarely use it. I even bought the 3 year extension but it still operates the same way it has since new, ALWAYS pulls to the right and I HATE that! Hopefully if I ever get 1.4 it'll work but as of now I have no intentions on buying another extension even if I can get another 3 years for $600.

jz777

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat, 2020 BMW M240i Convertible
I use it on long trips, it‘s nice to have, I feel less fatigued at the end of a long road trip. BlueCriuse works ok, but I’m waiting on the upgraded version that is supposed to fix the shortcomings. I notice that 1.0 tends to hug the right side of the lane, and tends to shut off on curves. Also a little jerky at times. According to folks that have access to the updated version, it‘s much more refined. I’m looking forward to getting updated to try it out.

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
Mine works on back roads, etc. Regardless, won't use it. I don't trust it.

Madd-Dog

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
I use mine daily. There are a couple of different highways to work and they both support it most of the way. Like the others mention though, it has it quirks. The upgrade is going to be nice but even then, paying attention and be ready to react will still be important.

Now, the subscription is going to be a whole different story. I have less than 1 year on my trial remaining. The $600 for 3 years is not horrible. The other pricing that gets mentioned is crazy. We will see soon though.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I use it pretty often, and like it quite a bit. I’m excited to see what BC 1.4 is like.

I still have another 18 months on my introductory offer, but I might consider paying another $200 per year to keep it going. Not $800 though.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I use it every now and then but don't do a lot of long trips (more than two hours). It's fine the way it works in its current state but definitely can be improved with the number of roads available and the ability to auto switch lanes, both of which should be coming. No way I'd pay the $800/year or whatever number has been thrown around. There's been no meaningful updates to it in the almost two years I've had the truck. Why would I pay a premium subscription price for it. I also have little faith in Ford's software engineers given the bugs and issues I've had with their OTA process so far.

If offered to pay $200/year I'd do it. $800 may be worth it to someone that drives a ton on available highways, but I think they'll quickly realize not many people will pay that unless it's baked into the price of their new vehicle.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I enjoyed it and used it every day I could. If they would push the newest version, I would renew it. Fredm2002

cptn12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I used it a few times and it was just ok. Maybe once they new version is pushes. I am in the EAP and just got an email today asking my opinion on BC. I didn't rate it very highly.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I use it on long trips. Just came back from a 1400 mile loop, that I do every 3-4 months. I updated my truck with FDRS in January. This greatly improved BC. I also enabled the predictive/curve speed support. I've also used BC on these trips, but this time what I noticed was that it never dropped out unless in a crazy lined construction zone. Whereas before it would kick off around exit/entry ramps.

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
I live at the junction of I-10 and I-25, so BC is available when I go to the grocery store. I use it without hesitation whenever the truck tells me it is available.

Where it is available, it works well and is a great improvement over simpler lane keeping assist features that I have had in previous vehicles. It makes good decisions in normal road conditions and bows out pretty quicky when it can't. It handles wind well and reduces stress on long drives effectively. Most of the time, it chickens out when it should - it has to do that a lot around the mess that Texas is making of the I-10 corridor north of El Paso. It could be a little more vocal when it does that.

I have caught it being a little confused by a lengthy road snake that occupied a straight line about a foot left of the dotted line, when the sun was at a certain angle. Not really surprising that that might happen, if you think about it, and it wasn't much of a hazard. It has sometimes taken me by surpise that it can activate several seconds after it is called for, even when it has just volunteered its services. Do not push the button and assume it has control. Check the dash for the "hands free" message before relaxing even a smidge, which could take a while. Those have been the only issues I have experienced when BC says it is available.

Even for me, though, it isn't available nearly often enough. Not while towing. Not while on easily-navigated, very straight four-lane state roads nearby. Then you're left with Ford's more basic lane keeping assist feature, which in my opinion is a basket case. Ford's basic LKAS leaves me so tired of seeing the words "Keep Hands On Steering Wheel" (when both of mine are) that I routinely turn it off whenever BC is not available.

The Chevy commercials that gloat over Super Cruise working while towing have me more than a little jealous. If there's one area where these systems could bring joy to a driver, it'd be while towing. After driving a rental Tesla, I also admire what they've done. Not only is their tech far more available, it is sensitive to a wider range of hazards (I'm sure the public beatings, and their own reactive nature, have helped them here) and drives better when it is doing so.

I do not believe that BC is unsafe today. I use it with one hand on the wheel to reassure my wife, but it reacts to most conditions as effectively as I might, and reduces driver fatigue. It would be nice if it didn't accuse me of failing to pay attention when there's too much glare on my Ray-Bans (the camera is not perfect) but at least that is a relatively rare thing that I expect will improve.

Ford folks, pay attention here. The OP lives in Montana, and has to drive two hours before BC is available. Please just think about that....
Sponsored