Sponsored

What is your Dream- Max Tow Build for 2023 Models?

awsnapman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Honda Civic, 2018 Subaru Outback
If you could build a 2023 F-150 with the highest Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight and Tow Tech, how would you build it out? I would like to stay in a Lariat or King Ranch Model. Also, any type of Tow Bar or other technology that you would recommend.

I am purchasing a 25' travel trailer and want to put my best foot forward as far as truck selection and equipment. This will be more or less used on the East Coast and on Flat Roads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BMac506

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 4x4
Since payload is the biggest limiting factor on these trucks the HDPP is the best option for towing. Since I wanted a Lariat that wasn’t an option for me but I was able to pick just the options I needed and ended up with a max tow package 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat with 1906 lb payload, which is one of the highest I’ve seen for a Lariat. I did go with the 6.5 ft bed for a longer wheelbase and increased payload and I stayed away from options like the FX4 package and the bed utility package to save weight on skid plates (not rock crawling with it) and the tailgate step and power tailgate motors. One thing I missed that I wanted was the LED bed lights but I just ordered the parts to add them in myself for around $150 (much less than the cost of the bed utility option). I also went with the 360 cameras and while I haven’t had a chance to tow with them yet they are great just everyday use like backing into parking spots.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Get the cab and bed that suits your actual needs and no more. If you go even up to a Lariat you'll want to avoid bedliner, hard tonneau, tailgate step, moonroof, FX4, power running boards and maybe even 20" wheels. Payload will limit you long before actual towing capacity will.

Reactions: 780

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
n
Since payload is the biggest limiting factor on these trucks the HDPP is the best option for towing. Since I wanted a Lariat that wasn’t an option for me but I was able to pick just the options I needed and ended up with a max tow package 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat with 1906 lb payload, which is one of the highest I’ve seen for a Lariat. I did go with the 6.5 ft bed for a longer wheelbase and increased payload and I stayed away from options like the FX4 package and the bed utility package to save weight on skid plates (not rock crawling with it) and the tailgate step and power tailgate motors. One thing I missed that I wanted was the LED bed lights but I just ordered the parts to add them in myself for around $150 (much less than the cost of the bed utility option). I also went with the 360 cameras and while I haven’t had a chance to tow with them yet they are great just everyday use like backing into parking spots.
no wonder why my Lariat’s payload is only 1689 pounds.. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
awsnapman

awsnapman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Honda Civic, 2018 Subaru Outback
Any recommendations on Engine?

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
I would enable HDPP on a 302A and sacrifice my Lariat 502A for the highest XLT package. Payload of 2500 pounds in a F150 XLT High would be perfect for me. (I would give up ventilated seats!)

I have a Max Tow 502A. I'll run out of payload long before I run out of towing capability. My payload is 1600.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Agree with above.

You'll run out of payload long before you max out the trailer tow rating. Don't forget to factor in everything you'll bring when calculating payload. How many people? Pets? Are you bringing firewood and bikes? Kayaks or Canoes? Anything else in the cab or bed? What is the hitch weight of the trailer you are looking at? All the above would have to fit within your trucks payload rating.

For trailering, I love having the OnBoard Scales and Smart hitch as well as the 360 cameras that work in conjunction with Backup Pro Assist and the Tow mirrors that work with BLIS.

Although every time I tow, I have to reenter my trailers dimensions as the truck won't remember them for BLIS to work.

Wow! That is a high payload for a Lariat.

My Max Tow 302a is only 1,777 lbs. No sunroof or powerboost but have FX4 and tailgate step. Do those two things really subtract that much weight from payload?

no wonder why my Lariat’s payload is only 1689 pounds.. Lol
That's pretty decent for a Lariat. What options did you select?

Sponsored

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
I have a King Ranch standard , Powerboost, 2WD on order. Max tow, 360 Assist, 360 camera & 7.2kW ProPower. Should come in right at 1800# payload. I think it will meet my needs. I searched inventories and asked (nicely) a lot of sales people to send me door sticker info.
A helpful resource- https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/2021-f-150-weights-specs-pdf.12613/
Also a recent find- https://fordfleetlive.com/#/vincalculatordemo
The VIN tool would have saved me a lot of calls.
I’m not sure the payload calculation is an exact science (supposedly each vehicle is weighed with full liquid fuels- though shipped with about 4 gallons of gas). I found 2 Lariat PB 4x4 that we’re loaded. One had Max tow, work surface 1401# and the other Trailer Tow, underseat partition storage 1404#. 4 gallons of fuel for the max tow and upgraded bumper is offset by the storage weight.
As others say- the options drag down the payload. Truest high payload will come with the HD tow on the XL/XLT trims.

Bigguy214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150
How much does hdpp actually add?I was thinking of getting it when I ordered my 22 xlt but I probably should have.I got the 3.5 with 3.55 gears,302a high and all options except moonroof and hdpp and my cargo is 1764.

Reactions: 780

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
How much does hdpp actually add?I was thinking of getting it when I ordered my 22 xlt but I probably should have.I got the 3.5 with 3.55 gears,302a high and all options except moonroof and hdpp and my cargo is 1764.
HDPP gains approximately 500# on the SuperCrew. Regular Cab has a starting payload in the ballpark of 3000#.

Bigguy214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150
That’s a nice jump 500# lbs.I didn’t realize that would of put me at 2164.Nice to know the next one I will get that thanks for the info.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I went back and forth between HDPP and 302a so much when contemplating this order. Figured for the amount of time I tow our camper, I'd go 302a. I only tow a dozen or so times a year but daily drive the truck. So the added options I'd get with 302a would be appreciated daily.

If only Ford would allow a 302a or 501a HDPP.....
Sponsored