First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Occupation
Pilot
My F-150 Lariat has been built but is in storage awaiting chips. I was wondering if anyone would know the answers to these questions:
1. Exactly what modules will be installed and where are they located in the truck? Are they behind the dash? In the engine compartment?
2. How complicated is it to install the modules?
3. How long does it take to install the modules? Minutes? Hours?
TIA!
Sponsored

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My F-150 Lariat has been built but is in storage awaiting chips. I was wondering if anyone would know the answers to these questions:
1. Exactly what modules will be installed and where are they located in the truck? Are they behind the dash? In the engine compartment?
2. How complicated is it to install the modules?
3. How long does it take to install the modules? Minutes? Hours?
TIA!
There is a module behind the glove box, I am in the same boat as you, there are also a lot of trucks missing tailgates in those lots, assume power tail gate motors and step supply issues.

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I'm hoping it's something that can be installed in a parking lot and doesn't need to be transported back to the factory. My truck was produced 4/29 and stuck "in production" since then. Not even sent to ramp 59, last step was "produced" according to pioneer

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Modules are all over the truck. I don’t know which ones they are waiting on. Some are easy, some not so much.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The modules are practically everywhere in modern vehicles. Historically, they were under the hood or dash, under seats and sometimes in the trunk but with so many sensors and digital communication protocols to cut down on cost, weight and a tangle of wires going everywhere, they’re more remote now when it is more practical.

As far as the missing modules, it all depends on the suppliers. Installing them is as easy as plugging in the connectors and bolting them into the trucks. Sometimes access is an issue and I am curious if they are also leaving access panels off or dash components loose to assist in installing them after the fact. Pretty much everything is designed to be removed on new vehicles. Plastic can be dimensionally unstable but that generally happens over time, which is why older cars can have lots of squeaking and rattling when interior trim pieces are removed. However, on a new vehicle with knowledgeable techs, it’s not as much of a concern.

The time all depends on the module, I recently personally replaced an SRS module in a CRV and installing it took about twenty minutes being careful and deliberate. I imagine if I was doing it every day all day that I could do it in five minutes. However, removing it took over two hours, including cursory research on how to get to it and carefully removing the old trim pieces and dealing with its incredibly inconvenient location, which required specialty socket extensions.

I doubt that they will be installing the modules where they sit, there’s probably an empty warehouse somewhere that they will be staging an ad hoc old school assembly line.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
There is a module behind the glove box, I am in the same boat as you, there are also a lot of trucks missing tailgates in those lots, assume power tail gate motors and step supply issues.
I am
More concerned about these missing tailgates and color matching after the trucks have been sitting out in the sun for months and then installing a freshly painted tailgate.
Sponsored