First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Looking at the inventory of the new trucks (stock orders) arriving at dealers I see almost all the new Lariats have 20" rims. I believe in the Lariat the default is 18" rims in the Chrome and in the Sport. To get the 20"rim you have to select it as an option. Obviously for the dealers to build trucks with 20" rims the demand must be high but I just don't get it. For me, I see no advantage to the larger rims and in fact I see it a huge negative. The negatives for me are, less sidewall that can scuff the rim (it is a truck and meant to go over a few bumps), not a fan of the look (this is obviously a personal thing), rougher ride, more expensive tires, my experience is the tires seem to handle terrible at about 50% wear so they need to be replace far sooner than a tire with a higher aspect ratio. I have had two cars that have had tires with less than a 50% aspect ratio and in both vehicles I was taking the vehicle in for balancing and alignment but it ended up that the tires were only 50% worn and needed to be replaced. Anyway, I'm obviously a minority with this option as the dealers can't seem to order anything but and 20" or higher.
Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Looking at the inventory of the new trucks (stock orders) arriving at dealers I see almost all the new Lariats have 20" rims. I believe in the Lariat the default is 18" rims in the Chrome and in the Sport. To get the 20"rim you have to select it as an option. Obviously for the dealers to build trucks with 20" rims the demand must be high but I just don't get it. For me, I see no advantage to the larger rims and in fact I see it a huge negative. The negatives for me are, less sidewall that can scuff the rim (it is a truck and meant to go over a few bumps), not a fan of the look (this is obviously a personal thing), rougher ride, more expensive tires, my experience is the tires seem to handle terrible at about 50% wear so they need to be replace far sooner than a tire with a higher aspect ratio. I have had two cars that have had tires with less than a 50% aspect ratio and in both vehicles I was taking the vehicle in for balancing and alignment but it ended up that the tires were only 50% worn and needed to be replaced. Anyway, I'm obviously a minority with this option as the dealers can't seem to order anything but and 20" or higher.
The 20" rims look better :) At least in some peoples minds. The lower profile tires also have less sidewall stretch and can give a bit more road feel in addition to controlling a large trailer better. And yes they do weigh more, scuff easier, and sacrifice some ride quality.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I ordered my lariat with 20" wheels because I feel like 18s look a little small on the rear , the wheel well just makes it look way too small. I am very happy how "filled" the 20s make them see, I would like 22"s but probably not more than that.

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I ordered my lariat with 20" wheels because I feel like 18s look a little small on the rear , the wheel well just makes it look way too small. I am very happy how "filled" the 20s make them see, I would like 22"s but probably not more than that.
I agree. My 2016 and 2018 trucks had 18s. This time I have the 20s on my 2021. I like the look. ??

RawFord

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150/ 2005 GTO
Occupation
Console operator
I ordered my KR with 18s. Honestly the 20s just look a hell of a lot better. 18s look to small in the wheel well.

Ford F-150 What is the attraction to 20"+ rims? 1E0738B2-13E6-4C3A-9649-47087E46353E

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
20's are a better ride.
18's are better off-road.

If you're going to be driving in the desert or rough roads on a regular basis, you probably want the 18's. If you're towing and mainly highway/city, you're going with the 20's. (I think the Limited comes with 22's for this reason - more comfort).

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
It's all about looks. You order a new truck you want that thing to look good. I wish the Platinum I ordered could be optioned up to 22's. I use my truck for my daily commute, the occasional Home Depot trip, and towing my boat once in a while. Other than that it's a truck to cruise around in and I want it to look good.

Sponsored

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
I ordered the stx 18s. I think they look way better and I plan to get bigger tires to fill the gap. All my local dealers are mostly getting 20s. I’m sure lopro tires handle better but if I want good handling I would buy a corvette

Ford F-150 What is the attraction to 20"+ rims? 6DEC58DF-C523-4A49-9A36-8DA6D01189B4

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
I ordered the stx 18s. I think they look way better and I plan to get bigger tires to fill the gap. All my local dealers are mostly getting 20s. I’m sure lopro tires handle better but if I want good handling I would buy a corvette

6DEC58DF-C523-4A49-9A36-8DA6D01189B4.jpeg
Ford F-150 What is the attraction to 20"+ rims? 2021 FORD F150 KIRK

OP
OP

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
20's are a better ride.
18's are better off-road.

I would disagree that the 20's ride better. in fact, very much the opposite. I can understand some prefer the looks but you do sacrifice ride with a lower profile tire. If the 20's have the same aspect ration as the 18" then there would be no difference in ride. You see sports cars with low profile tires and an expert driver might be able to corner a little better but I doubt that the normal driver could notice the handling difference. I have a fair amount of experience in switching wheels on our car with the winter rims/tires. The winter wheels are on smaller diameter rims and the ride is very noticeably better/smoother but they are louder due to the tread pattern.

adrian90210

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Construction
So what offset are you choosing for your aftermarket wheels?
Sponsored