Sponsored

What is the actual value of pre-paid service and extended warranty?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Looking at the purchase of an F-150 Hybrid (my order finally arrived) and one of the big ticket items if $6900 for pre-paid service and extended warranty. The terms are a bit variable, but the bottom line is 5 years of maintenance to 100,000 miles plus full factory warranty extended to five years.
I wonder if someone has the service schedule and knows exactly what each scheduled maintenance costs – please advise.

p.s. I tried to get a documented, clear accounting from the dealer, but short of standing at the service desk and getting it myself, they were just not going to give me the specifics … seems to me the real value is the first mile after the factory warranty expires – that's the day the touchscreen quits or an electrical gremlin in the chips we've been waiting for to make all those bells and whistles work starts eating my wallet.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm a Ford ESP warranty customer only. And never at the time of purchase (the truck) because you have 3 years before you are out of bumper to bumper anyway.

There are 2 rather famous dealerships that sell the ESP warranty online and they both are first class customer service for the sale of the warranty.

That warranty is integrated with Ford corporation enough that it is attached to your VIN in the Oasis system. It's also refundable on a pro-rated basis and the check arrives in the mail in a few days.

Just my own opinion.

holliwood98

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a CrewCab
I'm a Ford ESP warranty customer only. And never at the time of purchase (the truck) because you have 3 years before you are out of bumper to bumper anyway.

There are 2 rather famous dealerships that sell the ESP warranty online and they both are first class customer service for the sale of the warranty.

That warranty is integrated with Ford corporation enough that it is attached to your VIN in the Oasis system. It's also refundable on a pro-rated basis and the check arrives in the mail in a few days.

Just my own opinion.
Which dealerships? I just bought a new F150 yesterday and he was trying to sell me the ext warranty. I plan to wait a couple years, then find one. I have a company I've used on my last two vehicles that have been really good to us, but if I can get the Ford one, I'd prefer that.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I believe it is cheaper if you buy within the first 12 months, but certainly can wait. Note that no matter when you buy, the covered time starts from vehicle purchase date. I plan to buy from my dealer if they can get within 100 bucks of the online quotes.

As far as pre-paid maintenance goes, I think the value is speculative. If you anticipate a large increase of the cost of service over the next 5 years it might be worthwhile. If prices remain flat you’ll be close to even. I tend to do every other oil change myself so it would never pay off for me under any foreseeable circumstances.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
As @Snakebitten said, you have upto 35,999 miles to purchase the extended warranty. NO REASON whatsoever to pay up front, it is not really cheaper to buy upfront that's a myth.

I have bought extended warranty twice through Ziegler Ford - their service is AWESOME. And when you trade in vehicle before 100k miles, you can call Ziegler, cancel the warranty and get a pro-rated refund. Flood Ford is also a popular dealership to buy it from. You don't need anything, just call up and they will issue a warranty and mail you the paperwork as long as you are under factory warranty.

I do all my own basic service, so never a fan of service plans.

Sponsored

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I believe it is cheaper if you buy within the first 12 months, but certainly can wait. Note that no matter when you buy, the covered time starts from vehicle purchase date. I plan to buy from my dealer if they can get within 100 bucks of the online quotes.

As far as pre-paid maintenance goes, I think the value is speculative. If you anticipate a large increase of the cost of service over the next 5 years it might be worthwhile. If prices remain flat you’ll be close to even. I tend to do every other oil change myself so it would never pay off for me under any foreseeable circumstances.
That's where I'm at, too. I have the equipment and experience to rebuild whole race cars – except engine and trans builds – so I don't pay the dealer to do things I can do for the cost of a beer and showing my kids how things work.

But I want to be sure I don't void the warranty fine print and I don't want all the technology on this truck to let the smoke out after the warranty expires, so I'm guessing this will be the first truck I own that I sell before 100K miles.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
As @Snakebitten said, you have upto 35,999 miles to purchase the extended warranty. NO REASON whatsoever to pay up front, it is not really cheaper to buy upfront that's a myth.

I have bought extended warranty twice through Ziegler Ford - their service is AWESOME. And when you trade in vehicle before 100k miles, you can call Ziegler, cancel the warranty and get a pro-rated refund. Flood Ford is also a popular dealership to buy it from. You don't need anything, just call up and they will issue a warranty and mail you the paperwork as long as you are under factory warranty.

I do all my own basic service, so never a fan of service plans.
Thanks. I'll keep those dealers noted for if/when I buy extended warranty. I owe you beer, I think you just saved me some part of $7000 … and people say the Internet is a terrible place …

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. I'll keep those dealers noted for if/when I buy extended warranty. I owe you beer, I think you just saved me some part of $7000 … and people say the Internet is a terrible place …
Just go visit the site(s) for those 2 dealerships and their online purchase ability. It's really impressive and I can assure you that the traffic for selling/managing the Ford Extended warranty required substantial infrastructure investment. You don't build an e-commerce site like that for selling a couple of policies a day. I have no proof, of course, but I'm guessing it's quite the enterprise. And the customer service behind it is great too.

NoCo150

First Name
KD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
I bought the extended warranty and service for my 18 Raptor. I bought it because it was not that expensive about 2000 and extended the warranty to 75k and oil and tire rotations other routine service as well. I felt good not paying each oil change and I was going to get if for my new truck that just came in. If they want 6500 for it I am going to pass that seems very high to me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My biggest obstacle to the dealership changing my oil is the frequency and choices of product.

My 3rd Ecoboost. I've not had a single issue with them. The family fleet includes 4 more of them. The only one that has ever had a Coldstart clack (phasers) is a hard headed brother that was trusting the Ford recommendations.

Harlemox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PB Platinum
If purchasing a Ford ESP Maintenance plan, if you opt for the "smaller" intervals i.e. 5000 or 7500, does that mean you'll get an oil change every 5000/7500 miles you take it in? Or is the dealer going to try to hold strong to the 10,000 mile OCI spec'ed in the manual?
Sponsored