• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What if I don't want the 80A charging station?

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I know I may be in a small camp here, but I plan on buying an XLT with extended range battery, but have no need for the 80A charging station. My reasons are simple:

1. I already have a 240V/24A charge station in my driveway that will handle the majority of charging for daily use (30 mile round trip to work).

2. For longer trips, I already have the wiring run to a convenient location in my garage necessary to handle a 48A charger (60A breaker, #4 romex), so I would prefer to get the 48A charging station from Ford. The 48A charge station is rated to charge the Lightning extended range battery in 13 hours. There will never be a situation where this isn't sufficient for my needs.

3. Most importantly, I have no need to use the Lightning as a backup power source. I already have a 22kw natural gas powered Generac that runs my entire home in the event of a power outage.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know if it would be possible to order the extended range battery without the 80 amp charging station, perhaps with a lesser price for a lesser charging station?
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I highly doubt it to be honest. Not in the beginning anyway.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
BUT, worst case, you'll be able to sell the 80A charger to someone with a short range battery that didn't get one with their truck, but still want to have the home backup.
I think that someone with a std range battery would have even less use in the 80A charger than OP. Considering that std range Lightning can only be charged at max 48A.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think that someone with a std range battery would have even less use in the 80A charger than OP. Considering that std range Lightning can only be charged at max 48A.
Yeah, they'd still be limited to 48A, but they can use it for home backup.

If I end up with a Pro SR, I'd definitely consider buying an 80A charger off of someone like the OP.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If I end up with the standard range, I'll be in the market to purchase an 80 amp charger IF I can get it installed without having to upgrade my circuit panel.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Yeah, they'd still be limited to 48A, but they can use it for home backup.

If I end up with a Pro SR, I'd definitely consider buying an 80A charger off of someone like the OP.
If you do, check to see if it's covered by Ford's warranty after such sale.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
You can sell it easily to those of us with a vacation home :) I would buy it from you for my mountain retreat cabin.

The "charger" is actually in the EV truck. The garage cord is simply a cord, not the actual charger. More details will come way before we need to order so just be patient.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
You can sell it easily to those of us with a vacation home :) I would buy it from you for my mountain retreat cabin.
Good point.

There will be plenty of people interested in buying the 80A station... Standard Range owners in general and Extended Range owners who want a station in multiple places, etc.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
I'd be another person interested in buying the 80A EVSE setup!

I think it's a very smart marketing decision by Ford to bundle the EVSE in, for the record. One stop shop.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Diabolical!

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Well it's good to know there is already a line of people waiting to get an 80A charging station. I expect I'll be able to unload it easily or perhaps even trade it for a 48A setup. Thanks!

MannyFrescoSC

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Isn’t the 80 amp station bi-directional? You’d lose the ability to send power to your house during a blackout

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Isn’t the 80 amp station bi-directional? You’d lose the ability to send power to your house during a blackout
True. The OP's 3rd point stated that.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I know I may be in a small camp here, but I plan on buying an XLT with extended range battery, but have no need for the 80A charging station. My reasons are simple:

1. I already have a 240V/24A charge station in my driveway that will handle the majority of charging for daily use (30 mile round trip to work).

2. For longer trips, I already have the wiring run to a convenient location in my garage necessary to handle a 48A charger (60A breaker, #4 romex), so I would prefer to get the 48A charging station from Ford. The 48A charge station is rated to charge the Lightning extended range battery in 13 hours. There will never be a situation where this isn't sufficient for my needs.

3. Most importantly, I have no need to use the Lightning as a backup power source. I already have a 22kw natural gas powered Generac that runs my entire home in the event of a power outage.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know if it would be possible to order the extended range battery without the 80 amp charging station, perhaps with a lesser price for a lesser charging station?
I doubt you'd have that option, as the extended battery comes with the 80 amp pro charger. I'd say when it arrives and you don't want it , then sell it. I'm not sure but I'd say you wouldn't have an problems selling it, especially still boxed up. I believe you're looking at around $3000 there, so sell it for a bit less than the individual price and it'll sell.
You do know that charger is adjustable from 15% to the full 80% charge rate.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Why not keep it and use it as a 48A charger? It has a switch under the cover that sets the max charge rate. That makes it code compliant with your 60A circuit. That's what I plan to do.
Sponsored