Sponsored

What grade fuel for PowerBoost?

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Are you using Regular or Premium? I seem to remember Ford recommends Premium but says you can run on Regular.
Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I have not found anything either, but assumed Premium. I am only on my 2nd tank (my first fill up) and I used Premium since the regular was not flowing during the Texas Snowmageddon.

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
From the manual.

FUEL QUALITY

Selecting the Correct Fuel - Flex Fuel – Ethanol

Flex fuel vehicles have one of the following identifiers:

• Yellow fuel filler cap.

• Yellow bezel around the fuel filler inlet.

• Yellow fuel filler housing.

• Yellow E85 label on the fuel tank filler door

Fuel and Refueling

E161513

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or regular unleaded gasoline blended with a maximum of 85% ethanol (E85).

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer (page 375).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.

For additional information, visit

www.toptiergas.com.

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

Do not use:

• Diesel fuel.

• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.

• Fuels containing more than 85% ethanol or E100 fuel.

• Fuels containing methanol.

• Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.

• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).

• Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.

The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

Selecting the Correct Fuel - Gasoline

E161513

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Fuel and Refueling

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer (page 375).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.

For additional information, visit

www.toptiergas.com.

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

Do not use:

• Diesel fuel.

• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.

• Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.

• Fuels containing methanol.

• Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.

• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).

• Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.

The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

Selecting the Correct Fuel for Cold Weather - Diesel

Choosing the Right Fuel: Vehicles Operated Where Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Is Required (United States/Canada/Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands And Other Locales)

Note: Your Warranty will not cover damage caused by using an improper type of fuel or fuel additive.

Note: Do not blend used engine oil with diesel fuel under any circumstances. Blending used oil with the fuel significantly increases your vehicle’s exhaust emissions and reduce engine life due to increased internal wear.

We recommend Top Tier diesel fuel where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.

For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.

Fuel and Refueling

Biodiesel fuel is a chemically converted product from renewable fuel sources, such as vegetable oils, animal fats and waste cooking greases.

To help achieve acceptable engine performance and durability when using biodiesel in your vehicle:

• Confirm the biodiesel content of the fuel to be B20 (20% biodiesel) or less.

• Only use biodiesel fuel of good quality that complies with industry standards.

• Follow the recommended service maintenance intervals. See General Maintenance Information (page 602).

• Do not store biodiesel fuel in the fuel tank for more than 1 month.

• Consider changing brands or reducing biodiesel content if you have cold temperature fuel gelling issues or a frequently appearing LOW FUEL PRESSURE message.

Use of biodiesel in concentrations greater than 20% can cause damage to your vehicle, including engine and/or exhaust after-treatment hardware (exhaust catalyst and particulate filter) failures. Concentrations greater than 20% can also cause fuel filter restrictions that could result in a lack of power or damage to fuel system components, including fuel pump and fuel injector failures.

We recommend SAE 5W-40 oil for fuels with greater than 5% biodiesel (B5). For more information about oil change intervals and other maintenance when operating on biodiesel. See Special Operating Conditions Scheduled Maintenance (page 614).

Look for a label on the fuel pump to confirm the amount of biodiesel contained in diesel fuel. Ask the service station attendant to confirm the biodiesel content of diesel fuel, if you do not see a label on the fuel pump.

If you plan to park or store your vehicle for more than 1 month, then you should empty your vehicle fuel tank of biodiesel fuel. You should fill the tank with a pure petroleum-based diesel fuel and run your vehicle for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Note: Degraded or oxidized biodiesel can damage fuel system seals and plastics and corrode steel parts.

During cold weather, if you have problems operating on biodiesel, you may need to use diesel fuel with lower biodiesel content, try another brand or discontinue the use of biodiesel.

Diesel Fuel Additives

It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket additives to your fuel if you use a high-quality diesel fuel that conforms to ASTM industry specifications. Aftermarket additives can damage the fuel injector system or engine.

Use Motorcraft® cetane booster or an equivalent cetane booster additive if you suspect fuel has low cetane. Use Motorcraft® anti-gel and performance improver or an equivalent additive if there is fuel gelling.

Do not use alcohol-based additives to improve cetane quality, to prevent fuel gelling or any other use. The use of alcohol additives could result in damage to the fuel injectors and system.

Your Warranty may not cover repairs needed to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product that does not meet our specifications in your fuel.

F-150 (TFD) Canada/United States of America, enUSA, Edition date: 202007, First-Printing

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
So it works fine on 87 but they recommend 91. It could go either way. Which do you use?

Sponsored

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
So it works fine on 87 but they recommend 91. It could go either way. Which do you use?
Well, if I ever get my truck I think I’ll go with 91

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
For my 2018 3.5L Ecoboost F150, I used regular (87) consistently and have not had any problems or knocking. I have tried premium (91) when towing my 5,500 lb TT to see if it made a difference or improved gas mileage, and I found no difference. I'll do the same in my 2021 if it ever arrives.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I'm figuring on using 87 unless I'm going to tow my boat which isn't often as it is in rack storage on Lake St Clair. I ran 91 when I was towing with my old Ecoboost.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
I usually always ran 87 in my ecoboosts unless I have fuel rewards points then I run 91. treat the ole girl once in awhile ?
From what I understand the HP/Torque specs are on 91.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Are you using Regular or Premium? I seem to remember Ford recommends Premium but says you can run on Regular.
You’ll see extremely absolute from both sides of this.
Im not a die hard but this is my 3rd Ecoboost and I always run Premium.
If it doesn’t bother your pocket and you feel more comfortable then run premium.
However, I’m sure there is not going to be some dramatic difference in my engine at 100k whether I ran 87 or 91.

Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I have been using 87 and it's fine. If there's problems then it would be problems with 91.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Getting close to an empty tank on the regular the dealer put in. I’m going to try premium for the next fill up as a comparison. I don’t drive a ton, getting close to a month with the truck and still on my first tank. So 20 cents more per gallon, filling up the entire tank is $6. I spend more on beer, if the premium is a fraction better for performance or MPG then I’ll cut out an IPA a month and it’s a wash.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Getting close to an empty tank on the regular the dealer put in. I’m going to try premium for the next fill up as a comparison. I don’t drive a ton, getting close to a month with the truck and still on my first tank. So 20 cents more per gallon, filling up the entire tank is $6. I spend more on beer, if the premium is a fraction better for performance or MPG then I’ll cut out an IPA a month and it’s a wash.
I am getting just under 1000 kms per tank in my powerboost, which is the smaller tank.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Around the metro Detroit area the difference is $0.66 to $0.70 per gallon up charge for 93 over 87.. Not even close to your $0.20 you say. So $20.00 +/- extra cost per 30 gallon fill up. The little mpg increase won't come close to cover the extra cost.
Sponsored