What grade fuel do you run?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
With the 5.0 V8 squeezing the mixture with a 12:1 compression ratio and the 3.5 EcoBoosts turbos cramming all that extra air into the cylinders these trucks seem to be asking a lot out of 87 octane. There is a lot of pressure in these cylinders no matter which motor you run. What’s the consensus here, I filled up with Plus (89) today.
Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I run 87 in my 5.0. but I drive like an old man, don't tow anything and don't ask a whole lot out of the truck. If I was pulling something I would step it up a grade or two.

but I will add I dont go for the cheap gas stations. I stick to the big name companies.

Last edited:

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
When I’m not foiling Russian Terrorist plans, I work in the engineering field.

The engineers for the 5.0 say I can put corn fuel in it. I don’t, but I could. I’m more of a “quality” fuel believer. If you can’t get ethanol free, at least get top tier.

I'm pretty fortunate and would say 95% of my fills have been at Costco with 87, so I’m getting high quality fuel at a low price, when I know I’ll be towing I go ahead and put in the 93. For a minute last year 93 was less than $2.75 and I was in full send mode.

Last edited:

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I put premium in my Powerboost. I don't really tow or haul a lot so I could probably get away with 87 or 91. Not sure paying extra for it improves my fuel mileage as it seems like I get around 21 average according to the truck and not hand calculating it.

I don't drive a ton so the added cost of premium isn't huge, but it could add up. I'll probably end up around 10k miles year over year.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
With the 5.0 V8 squeezing the mixture with a 12:1 compression ratio and the 3.5 EcoBoosts turbos cramming all that extra air into the cylinders these trucks seem to be asking a lot out of 87 octane. There is a lot of pressure in these cylinders no matter which motor you run.
A few things to perhaps note ....
  • The PCM system on these engines is very sophisticated
  • Your 5.0's PCM has the ability to vary intake and exhaust cam timing independently (Ti-VCT), as well as injection timing / duration, spark timing / duration, etc
  • PCM manipulation of valve timing and overlap can reduce the actual effective compression ratio below the stated possible maximum, on-the-fly (that stated 12.x:1 isn't fixed in stone)
  • The 3.5EB has even more variables PCM can tweak on-the-fly to manage what's happening in the combustion chamber (boost-related variables)
  • In both cases there's sophisticated sensors ('knock sensors' among many others) to provide PCM feedback, allowing it to adjust those variables and preclude potentially damaging combustion conditions.
As long as you stick with fuels in the recommended spec range, all of those things protect your engine and, I would suggest, don't 'ask a lot' of a given fuel but do 'take advantage of everything' a given fuel can deliver when that is demanded by driving conditions .

Yeah, that means that a lower-octane fuel may not (won't) deliver the same performance as a higher octane fuel, particularly under stressful loads, but at least you're protected from engine damage if you try to over-reach a given fuel's capabilities.

All just for your consideration.

Me, I burn 87 octane in my 3.5EB for my daily un-stressed driving; I fill with higher octane before a more stressful adventure towing my RV; I don't see benefit in running a more expensive higher-octane fuel with power-delivery capabilities that won't be used in my sedate daily driving. Your driving conditions and habits may vary and warrant a different approach, No Worries! :)

Yeah, no matter the octane I stick with fuels having good additive packages (e.g. Top Tier) in the interest of long-term engine health ;)

Last edited:

capiche87

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB 701a 4x4; 1985 Ford Bronco II
Occupation
Veterinarian
I had a 2018 5.0 V8. The engine knocked with 87 octane. It also consumed oil. I started running 93 octane and 5000 mi oil changes. Knock discontinued and oil consumption wasn't enough to get out of safe range. Also engine was smoother and quieter on 93 octane.

I just got a 2023 powerboost and running 93 octane.

Beercity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
93 in my pb. I also ran 93 in my 2013 escape as it was recommended if towing or heavy use.

I tow a utility trailer from time to time, but I can't go a tank without going into sport mode fom time to time.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I run 87 in my 5.0. but I drive like an old man, don't tow anything and don't ask a whole lot out of the truck. If I was pulling something I would step it up a grade or two.

but I will add I dont go for the cheap gas stations. I stick to the big name companies.
What's this cheap gas station you speak of????????

Sponsored

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
Honestly is varies based on price. My '22 5.0 I'm almost certain would run on turpentine. E85 oh it loves to guzzle it. E10-87, no problems at all. E15-88, again no problems. Non-Ethanol 90 hello fuel mileage. I feed it whatever is cheapest at the time based on price differences between grades. No oil use and my oil analysis was fine.

Carbon_21F-150

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Occupation
Operator
I have always used 87 octane from Costco with no problems and one day I filled up with 91 octane from Arco and my engine starting knocking I have a 5.0

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Costco Premium in my 3.5HO every fill up!! whats a few extra bucks for top HP---I will be running a COBB/Goosetune very soon!!!

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
In Germany (and most Europe) there is no low or midgrade. Everything is 95 or 98 (equivalent to 91-93 US). So all you get is premium. You may get a choice of E10 in some countries, others only have E5. Most get E5.

MPG city (max 50km/hr) is still 14-16 and I've dipped under 14 in cold times. Highway is better, I got up to 24. I don't tow or haul. Once I go back to the states I'll probably stick with lowest fuel unless towing.