Sponsored

What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Lane centering plus adaptive cruise. Excited for BlueCruise to finally come out too
Sponsored

cscheut

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150; 16 Expedition; 91 Mustang LX; 72 Maverick
Occupation
CPA
Power of the 5.0L and the transmission. Quick smooth shifts and more power than expected! Truck is amazing.

CWE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 platinum
After waiting for 11 months finally arrived and wow what a truck technology and comfort was so impressed ordered another platinum for the wife

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
I traded my beloved 2018 F250 Powerstroke for the F150 I have. The dealer literally sent me the window sticker as the truck was in transit. I didn't know much about the features on the 21's honestly. Must haves were Lariat 502A, 4x4, sport, 5.0, 3.73's, and 36 gallon tank. This truck had them so we made the deal. After I got home and started learning the truck- I was blown away.
Pleasant surprises:
Seats- by far the MOST comfortable seats of any Ford I've owned
Zone lighting- My f250 had this but the F150 is a bit better
Sync 4 and the display- love the size and responsiveness! wireless Carplay / digital gauges, etc
360 cameras- Again- my F250 had this. However- the clarity on the 21 is amazing! And I can access in motion
5.0/3.73- I owned a 2012 5.0 3.73 truck and my son has a 2011 5.0 3.73 truck. This gen Coyote is incredible. 6800 rpm shift point yet has good response with the 10 speed

Dislikes (few)
Whining noise when cold- what the heck is the awful noise that sounds like a bad alternator bearing? It gets much quieter after it warms up. If it's truly the straight cut gears on the transmission pump, the engineers should have done something to mute it

Cylinder deactivation- luckily mine has the start stop delete. I notice the deactivation at slow speeds and light throttle. Then there is a bit of a transition when it goes back to 8. Ill likely get a tuner to disable it later so my future exhaust doesn't sound bad

Overall- I really like this truck. It is tight, comfy, and very capable. Within 400 miles I added a bedmat, Rough Country hard trifold, tint, Auto Spring 2" front 3/4" rear lift (I wanted some rake for towing but not the 3" factory), and Cooper Discoverer AT3's (275 65 20).

Sponsored

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I did not expect to still having to love my old garage door clicker…??

but 360 camera, tow mirrors and adaptive cruise are all game changer!

Last edited:

DPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 XLT
Fuel mileage. Wife is averaging 20.4 to 20.6 mpg. Not bad for a 5.0 with 3.31 gearing. The engine/tranny combo is much improved over our 2018 f150 we traded in. Lucky to average 18 mpg in it.

sswalters

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I love the Eco-Coach on the speedometer. I have a lead foot and am doing my best to stay above 16 MPG!

The coach helps guide me when I accelerate. IT works!
I have this setting on but don't understand it. It seems have a green bar surrounding the current speed. I haven't had it change colors. Does it change colors based upon how hard you accelerate? I haven't found anything on this feature.

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
Guard in two-tone. And only done for the '21. Ahhhhhh.....

Sponsored

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
The adaptive cruise with speed limit sign recognition.
Not necessarily the cruise part but the fact it will completely stop the truck then start again "within the time limit" without touching a pedal and will adjust the cruise speed when going through small towns or just changing speed limits.....just cool.

Darrell

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
The adaptive cruise with speed limit sign recognition.
Not necessarily the cruise part but the fact it will completely stop the truck then start again "within the time limit" without touching a pedal and will adjust the cruise speed when going through small towns or just changing speed limits.....just cool.

Darrell
I used the speed limit recognition on a long trip from FL to Louisiana in October for the first time and I LOVED it changing the speed on a 3 hour stretch where I'm going through little towns. I thought I had read it would come to a complete stop, but I was too chicken to try it, ha. The Lane centering (while not perfect) made this trip nice too, I was less exhausted when I've made the same trip (many times) in my wife's Sienna Mini Van.

GlassSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Sales Director
I have this setting on but don't understand it. It seems have a green bar surrounding the current speed. I haven't had it change colors. Does it change colors based upon how hard you accelerate? I haven't found anything on this feature.
I haven't read anything about it, but I think** it's supposed to guide your foot on the gas pedal. If you mash the gas you'll see the speedometer marker goes beyond the Green Bar. But if you accelerate slowly, you'll stay lined up with the green box. Just my observation.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
If you have the Lariat or above dash, it took me quite some time to figure out too, but I think I have it.

The little arrow is your input on the gas pedal, and the point coming off the green bar is where your arrow should be to get maximum fuel economy. The goal is to have those two points touching as you accelerate. If you are accelerating harder than the computer wants you to, your arrow begins to move away from the point. I think eventually it will change color to signal you're accelerating too fast, but I haven't stepped on it yet because my truck is under 1,000 miles and I am giving some time to break it in.

I also enjoy the brake coach that you can turn on in the dash. Its like a responsible video game to try and get 100% every stop. Without even realizing it, those two features have changed the way I drive and gotten me to my other favorite part of my truck, which is fuel efficiency. I bought the Powerboost, so I was hoping for some gains, but didn't realize it would be so different from my last 3.5 ecoboost. In the winter, I would get about 15-16 mpg average. In my Powerboost, I am easily over 20 mpg. I bought it more for the generator to use with my camper in the summer, and thought fuel efficiency would be a small perk. While I am under the EPA estimate, 20 mpg in the winter in a full size truck with over 400 hp is something I am impressed by. Idling without using the engine is awesome, and so is crawling through traffic or through a parking lot.

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
I'm really impressed with the technology available i.e. 360 camera, adaptive cruise and the huge infotainment screen (android auto was a plus too once it started working correctly). I love most of the other features like BLIS, auto high beams etc. Overall I really love the ride too.. It's smooth and quiet.
Sponsored