Sponsored

What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150?

Antman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150
Occupation
Manager
Quiet and smooth. A few short years ago this was luxury car refinement.
Sponsored

rb304

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL FX4
I have an XL with the HDPP, Max Tow. I LOVE having no carpet. It seems odd, but I have kids and this has been an absolute wonderful basic package feature. The auto hold function. I thought it would be weird to get used to, but I absolutely love it. The dangerous part about it is when I drive another vehicle that doesn't have it.....lol. I had a 2013 XLT with the 302A package and doesn't touch the quality of the new truck. I love having the work surface and WiFi hotspot. This is great when I have to work from the truck (sometimes working remotely in the field is a must) and great when we're on long trips and the kids want some screen time. I have the 2kw generator too, and that's not a feature I thought I would use, but it is great. I love having the 120v plug in the cab, and I've used the plugs in the bed several times. Of course, can't leave out the tailgate step. It's great, but the cutouts in the tailgate for clamps is genius. Although it's great to talk about what we love, there are always opportunities. I understand that there must be some differentiation between trim levels, but safety features should not be a part of that. I am disappointed that the LED headlights do not come standard on all trim levels.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Quiet, ride, massaging seats, Adaptive Cruise with my Bubble "driving" for me! Pwr tailgate, 7.2kw, and Zone Lighting! Seriously, why was this not an option 10 years ago.

Bullitt4859

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 Mustang Bullitt, 21 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I have the Powerboost and I love the "EV coach" feature. It helps to maximize my MPG by giving feedback on how much pedal effort I can give with the amount of electric available.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier, VW e-Golf
The truck I got is almost the opposite of what I thought that I wanted -- I was looking for a sliver XLT bench seat with regular mirrors with a long bed. We ended up having to spend more a white Lariat crew cab with a console and "big ears" mirrors.

Well, it turns out that my wife loves the console and I love the tow mirrors (power folding) even though I do not usually tow anything -- and we both really like the white. I am also finding the crew cab to be more useful than I thought it would be, I can get two bicycles in the back so I can park in somewhat sketchy areas without worrying (too much). The smaller bed is also more useful than I thought it would be, although I am glad that I still have my ancient Toyota single cab with an 8' bed for garbage runs.

rb304

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL FX4
The truck I got is almost the opposite of what I thought that I wanted -- I was looking for a sliver XLT bench seat with regular mirrors with a long bed. We ended up having to spend more a white Lariat crew cab with a console and "big ears" mirrors.

Well, it turns out that my wife loves the console and I love the tow mirrors (power folding) even though I do not usually tow anything -- and we both really like the white. I am also finding the crew cab to be more useful than I thought it would be, I can get two bicycles in the back so I can park in somewhat sketchy areas without worrying (too much). The smaller bed is also more useful than I thought it would be, although I am glad that I still have my ancient Toyota single cab with an 8' bed for garbage runs.
I didn't think I would like white as much as I do. I actually special ordered a truck nearly identical to the one I bought. It was antimatter blue, and it looked great when it finally came in. I ended up ditching the order for this truck because quite frankly, the order was taking too long. The white truck looks great and I think looks much better with the brush guard than the blue one would.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
I love the fact (and did not expect) that if you forget about the bed, it's every bit as good as any SUV out there.

Recently drove a Ford Explorer as we were considering it for the lady of the house. It was a vibrating harsh driving gutless POS that was as much as I paid for the F150. My wife finished the test drive and told me she preferred buying her own truck instead of that.

Just spent a week in a brand new Yukon Denali on a father/son trip around Arizona and drove from Tucson to Tombstone then Phoenix to San Diego and back to Phoenix so lot's of hours in that. I could not for the life of me get comfortable, the steering constantly requires correction and pushing a dash button to put it in reverse is dumb. Remarked to my son that I really do love my truck whilst in the denali......

Who'd a thought?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have an XL with the HDPP, Max Tow. I LOVE having no carpet. It seems odd, but I have kids and this has been an absolute wonderful basic package feature. The auto hold function. I thought it would be weird to get used to, but I absolutely love it. The dangerous part about it is when I drive another vehicle that doesn't have it.....lol. I had a 2013 XLT with the 302A package and doesn't touch the quality of the new truck. I love having the work surface and WiFi hotspot. This is great when I have to work from the truck (sometimes working remotely in the field is a must) and great when we're on long trips and the kids want some screen time. I have the 2kw generator too, and that's not a feature I thought I would use, but it is great. I love having the 120v plug in the cab, and I've used the plugs in the bed several times. Of course, can't leave out the tailgate step. It's great, but the cutouts in the tailgate for clamps is genius. Although it's great to talk about what we love, there are always opportunities. I understand that there must be some differentiation between trim levels, but safety features should not be a part of that. I am disappointed that the LED headlights do not come standard on all trim levels.
IMO, carpet has no place in a truck.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier, VW e-Golf
I did not expect to like the console so much, I only got it because the bench was not available. Ditto for the white color, gave up on silver but have really come to like the Oxford White. I have also been blown away by the performance of the ecoboost, unlike what I expected this thing kicks hiney when merging onto the freeway.

Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I completely agree.
I had a friend who ripped the carpet out of his Toyota and rino lined the floor boards. He hosed it out after a weekend of mudding. If any of you do that with your 50 grand plus truck please share the pictures!

Last edited:

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
I completely agree.
I had a Sport Trac, 2001, and loved the no carpet and the way he floor mats were done, carpet but not the "shaggy" type. I've often wondered why they didn't carry this over, I wonder if the carpet is used because of sound dampening?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
This might be a dumb one to anyone who has owned trucks before, but being my first truck, the interior ROOM. Not just leg room, but shoulder/lateral room is great. Don’t feel claustrophobic at all especially even when a passenger is in here.

Other than that, I hadn’t researched the transfer case differences very well, I’m very happily surprised with how well the 4A AWD works. I did expect to miss the speed/acceleration of my previous car but the Powerboost fills the gap pretty well I don’t find myself missing any power. And the 8 speaker B&O is fine, despite many people complaining. It’s not amazing, but it’s perfectly fine and has enough volume with enough clarity that it can handle windows down. My previous car had a 15 speaker Lexicon system with 2 woofers…it was definitely better but I don’t miss it so I’m happily surprised about that too.

9800 miles in and still absolutely loving this truck looking for reasons to drive it. So comfortable to be a ~gasp~ daily driver

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
I'm really becoming a fan of the adaptive cruise control with the automatic stop.. Haven't really messed with it up until this past couple weeks. I'm looking forward to using it on a long road trip at the end of June. I've also been pleasantly surprised with the ECO driving mode. I know it's not popular but it seems to be improving the guesstimated MPGs I'm getting. I'm sure all of you can relate, but I wasn't expecting nearly as many compliments on the truck as I'm getting.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN