Sponsored

What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150?

GlassSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Sales Director
If you have the Lariat or above dash, it took me quite some time to figure out too, but I think I have it.

The little arrow is your input on the gas pedal, and the point coming off the green bar is where your arrow should be to get maximum fuel economy. The goal is to have those two points touching as you accelerate. If you are accelerating harder than the computer wants you to, your arrow begins to move away from the point. I think eventually it will change color to signal you're accelerating too fast, but I haven't stepped on it yet because my truck is under 1,000 miles and I am giving some time to break it in.

I also enjoy the brake coach that you can turn on in the dash. Its like a responsible video game to try and get 100% every stop. Without even realizing it, those two features have changed the way I drive and gotten me to my other favorite part of my truck, which is fuel efficiency. I bought the Powerboost, so I was hoping for some gains, but didn't realize it would be so different from my last 3.5 ecoboost. In the winter, I would get about 15-16 mpg average. In my Powerboost, I am easily over 20 mpg. I bought it more for the generator to use with my camper in the summer, and thought fuel efficiency would be a small perk. While I am under the EPA estimate, 20 mpg in the winter in a full size truck with over 400 hp is something I am impressed by. Idling without using the engine is awesome, and so is crawling through traffic or through a parking lot.
I'm curious about the brake coach, I'll take a gander in my settings to see if I can locate it. I wonder if it's a new feature, I dove pretty deep in the menus when I first got the truck.
Sponsored

Thomasp99

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat
Occupation
IT Exec
The User Interface is getting much better. Clean and good flow to it. I have a 22 EB .
The 3.5 engine just keeps getting more powerful and MPG is not bad. rolling down the interstate and the truck is nearly at idle ! not too bad.
Ford F-150 What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150? 20220117_105333[1478]

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I'm curious about the brake coach, I'll take a gander in my settings to see if I can locate it. I wonder if it's a new feature, I dove pretty deep in the menus when I first got the truck.
On the steering wheel, touch menu and then go to settings. Maybe it’s just a powerboost thing, but it’s an option you can turn on. Then every time you come to a full stop it gives you a percentage.

GlassSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Sales Director
On the steering wheel, touch menu and then go to settings. Maybe it’s just a powerboost thing, but it’s an option you can turn on. Then every time you come to a full stop it gives you a percentage.
Larry I think you are on to something. I have an ecoboost and did not see that option!

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Larry I think you are on to something. I have an ecoboost and did not see that option!
I just assumed it was an option for everyone since that really isn't anything specific to the Powerboost. Every truck has the screen that tells you your percentages for acceleration, braking, and speed, correct? I can understand non-poewerboost not having an EV Coach, but everyone uses the brakes. Huh.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I just assumed it was an option for everyone since that really isn't anything specific to the Powerboost. Every truck has the screen that tells you your percentages for acceleration, braking, and speed, correct? I can understand non-poewerboost not having an EV Coach, but everyone uses the brakes. Huh.
The reason it’s only for Powerboost models is what the brake coach is actually telling you. It’s % of possible energy returned by regen braking. Essentially in a Powerboost, the first bit of brake pedal doesn’t use the service brakes, it reverses polarity on the electric motor and sends power back into the battery pack. If you brake too hard, you’ll need the service brakes, and thus will waste energy. If you use all regen down to a few mph where it cuts out to stop, then you get 100% on the brake coach.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
If you have the Lariat or above dash, it took me quite some time to figure out too, but I think I have it.

The little arrow is your input on the gas pedal, and the point coming off the green bar is where your arrow should be to get maximum fuel economy. The goal is to have those two points touching as you accelerate. If you are accelerating harder than the computer wants you to, your arrow begins to move away from the point. I think eventually it will change color to signal you're accelerating too fast, but I haven't stepped on it yet because my truck is under 1,000 miles and I am giving some time to break it in.

I also enjoy the brake coach that you can turn on in the dash. Its like a responsible video game to try and get 100% every stop. Without even realizing it, those two features have changed the way I drive and gotten me to my other favorite part of my truck, which is fuel efficiency. I bought the Powerboost, so I was hoping for some gains, but didn't realize it would be so different from my last 3.5 ecoboost. In the winter, I would get about 15-16 mpg average. In my Powerboost, I am easily over 20 mpg. I bought it more for the generator to use with my camper in the summer, and thought fuel efficiency would be a small perk. While I am under the EPA estimate, 20 mpg in the winter in a full size truck with over 400 hp is something I am impressed by. Idling without using the engine is awesome, and so is crawling through traffic or through a parking lot.
I think you’re on to something. I’m gonna check it out later. I have mine set not to show in normal mode so I haven’t gotten a lot of experience with it. All I noticed with it was once on a highway trip in eco mode, the “throttle” arrow stayed up near the top of the green range while on cruise, and would only back off if I had to slow down for something. So I imagine it was just saying driving 80mph isn’t economical because you need too much throttle, which is very true LOL

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The reason it’s only for Powerboost models is what the brake coach is actually telling you. It’s % of possible energy returned by regen braking. Essentially in a Powerboost, the first bit of brake pedal doesn’t use the service brakes, it reverses polarity on the electric motor and sends power back into the battery pack. If you brake too hard, you’ll need the service brakes, and thus will waste energy. If you use all regen down to a few mph where it cuts out to stop, then you get 100% on the brake coach.
That makes complete sense. I was thinking that it was essentially showing the same thing as the eco coach screen, which shows the percentages for acceleration, braking, and speed. Thanks!

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian
The 5.0!..............So satisfying passing a Prius! :ROFLMAO:

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I did not expect the very poor gas mileage. (not bad driving)
Love everything else.

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
The 2021 F150 is a Space Ship in "pick up's" clothing.

It looks like a "Pick up truck" but that's about it!

I've spent the last several years traveling coast to coast, renting all grades and all makes of vehicles from basic compacts to "all we have left is THIS high end rental" and the 2021 F150 has them ALL beat with few exceptions.

The technology in this trucks is just amazing.

The comfort is peerless.

And with all that… it still has that good old F150 bone crushing toughness.

It feels like a "big pussy" until you take it off raod and try to beat the shit out of it. Then it reminds you what "F150" means...

I wasn't expecting any of that!

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Was not expecting it to be as maneuverable as it is. I didn't opt for 360 cameras and was getting a little nervous and some feelings of regret close to taking ownership.

Very pleasantly surprised how easy this thing is to park and drive, especially coming from the past 13 years of car ownership. The back-up camera is fantastic, makes backing in or backing out of spots a breeze. Since taking ownership, I've had 0 regrets about not getting 360 cameras.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
2021 5.0 XLT here. Honestly, the gas mileage. I'm easily getting 20+MPG on the highway (21-23 range). Came from a 2017 Silverado 6.2. That was a bit of a dog on mileage - getting 18MPG was a miracle.

Spent a week driving around Yellowstone (45-55 MPH), about 600 miles. Had over 26MPG for that. Super impressed with the power:gas mileage ratio (not a huge difference in power from the larger 6.2 I came from)
That's great news! Still waiting for my 5.0 to arrive.

MacTexas744

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 King Ranch, 2018 Porsche Macan S, 34 Ford
Occupation
Retired
I like the fact I can play music from a memory stick.

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer
I purchased a 2021 STX 4x4. I wanted all the tech from the XLT, but got a really good deal and couldn't pass this sale up. I have been really surprised at how easy it is to modify these trucks. Many accessories and lots of great people that want to help each other.
Sponsored