Sponsored

What did you do with your spare tire?

Drandpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
For those who put bigger tires on your truck, what did you do with your spare?

I've put a 2.5" leveling kit on mine and plan in the near future to put bigger tires, but I have no clue what to do with the spare tire. Did you get a bigger spare, take it off, or just leave it there? Can you fit a full sized 34"-35" tire in the same spot?

Thank you.
Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Someone asked the same question (about fitting the max spare tire size, at least) back in February.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/max-spare-tires-size.1987/

But unfortunately no one ever answered the question.

I would take a peek under there and measure between the closest obstructions. I'm not sure you could get a 34" or 35" in there, but it might be close. This should at least give you a general idea if a full sized spare will fit.

I haven't looked that closely at mine since I plan on keeping my factory wheels on. At least until the factory tires wear out.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I would (did) buy 5 tires of the same size. I wouldn't drive on a spare that was not the same diameter as the other 4. When the time comes to rotate the tires, do a 5 wheel rotation, unless the fifth tire is a skinny cheap-o that you would only use as an emergency spare.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I would (did) buy 5 tires of the same size. I wouldn't drive on a spare that was not the same diameter as the other 4. When the time comes to rotate the tires, do a 5 wheel rotation, unless the fifth tire is a skinny cheap-o that you would only use as an emergency spare.
The spares on our trucks though close to the rolling dimension of the tire that came on our vehicles (so effectively full sized) are not the same wheel and tire that is on the ground (unless maybe you have an xl, but I think those wheels are painted silver not black like our spares are)

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
someone posted either in another thread here or on another forum that they fit a 35” tire in there. Had a few pictures from underneath and behind that showed the big tire in the spot.

Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
I installed the same size tire as the rest of mine and put it right back up in the hole. 295/70R18

Ford F-150 What did you do with your spare tire? IMG_2543

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I installed the same size tire as the rest of mine and put it right back up in the hole. 295/70R18

IMG_2543.jpg
Well shit, now I'm gonna have to buy another wheel and tire that matches to mount under there since I know it fits. Thanks for answering that question, though my wallet doesn't thank you! Haha.

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
Well shit, now I'm gonna have to buy another wheel and tire that matches to mount under there since I know it fits. Thanks for answering that question, though my wallet doesn't thank you! Haha.
You know if you don't change the spare to a comparable size, you will eventually drive 60 miles into the back country, at night, in the snow and then get a flat....Murphy!
It's valuable info to know the larger sizes fit. Thanks for the info, especially since I'm planning the 295/70/18 option.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran

IMG_2543.jpg
Is the spare the same 18inch sport wheel as the rest?

Sponsored

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Just ordered BFG KO2 E in 285/60R20 = 33.5x11.2R20, was on backorder ugh.
Prob just gonna leave spare alone since cant get exact same size on the 18" spare steely anyway.
Got repair kit, so either that works or I limp out on spare 60 miles at night in the snow. LOL
Maybe I find another used 20" OEM rim to match.
Would be nice to do a 5 spot rotation as mentioned above.
Closest for 18 is 285/70R18 = 33.7x11.2R18 maybe ask discount if they have a decent used 18" lying around.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Answering the original question, I removed mine to improve payload for towing purposes. There's a thing called AAA. The OEM tire is 37 pounds on most F-150's, add another 30 for the wheel, you gain almost 70 pounds of payload. Honestly, mine goes to the back of the boat trailer, mounted there to lighten tongue weight and deal with the truck's towing limits. As noted, Ford does not provide a matching spare tire or wheel. Mine was a cheaper tire and steep wheel, although the same size, on a 20" chrome King Ranch set-up. Lighter than the other four.

Daltonn

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
If your spare tire is in good condition and relatively just like the original tires, it can go for a week, depending on usage. But if it is not the same as your old tires, then changing your spare tire must be done as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I will likely find an affordable tire to fit the stock spare rim with a similar diameter to the 34's that I plan to add. However, as long as you are not using 4wd, a smaller diameter spare won't damage the vehicle but it will impact handling. Will work fine to take it to a shop or drive it home to plug the other tire but I wouldn't use it more than on an emergency basis.