First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
Based on hundreds of pages of horror stories about Ford dealer service department competencies (especially re OTA updates and anything software), I invested in Forscan and FDRS software and hardware to do all that myself too. So, yeah, I'm avoiding any and all trips to the dealer as long as possible.

The high and mighty 'tude comes through a little too thick, admittedly, but too many stories of wrong oil, not enough oil, budget oil, cheap oil filters, stripped drain bolts, silly felt covers not being tightened down and coming loose on the freeway, etc etc has me sleeping better at night if I just do it all myself, even oil changes. I went with my girlfriend to the local Jiffy Lube recently and, yeah, I'm not letting those guys touch my rig. Above all, like with my fleet of motorcycles, I love doing the work myself. Those high school kids need the experience somewhere, and maybe some of them are "detail enthusiasts" like me, but not worth the gamble. For me.

The whole point of my post was to educate someone else at the final financing/signing table at the dealership agonizing on whether to buy the "maintenance package" because they don't know about the Magnuson-Moss Act. You can do the work yourself and Ford cannot deny a future warranty claim if you keep adequate records. My dealer was cool and transferred the $200 maintenance package (for 2 years of oil changes) into the 36 quarts and 6 filters through their Parts desk.
This thread looks like fun, I'll jump in. I completely agree with @home oil changes, especially when we're more motivated to take our time and let it all drain out of the pan. It also gives us an opportunity to do any damage assessment, inspect belts, radiator, joints, brakes, equivalent to the "multi point inspection" they perform in attempt to sell add-ons while they have you in the shop.

And with regards to level of skill. We know they give the oil change jobs to the squids fresh out of the academy, the same kids that do the heinous aftermarket alarm installations to the cars on the lot.

Cheers to those that take on everything within their capacity. And my respect to those who know when they're in over their heads and know to ask for help. May we never need to make a warranty claim.
Sponsored

fluffernutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat PB
Rear spoiler is in and on. Sorry @SpaceWhiteF150, I decided to hack it up. Had to breakout the dremel to cutout for the pop-out step after using a piece of carboard box it came in as a template (wish FoMoCo had an option for those with the tailgate step). I was fine with hacking this up since it was just about ~$8 shipped (thanks to the folks who helped me use my FordPass rewards points from purchase). I may try and put something to cover the line where it is cut (as some color is showing through, so either some marker or mask off and hit it with some matte black rattle can paint). But overall I'm super happy with how it looks. Nice and sleek, and nothing too crazy looking. My only very minor complaint is that it is pretty self centering (as it aligns with the rear tailgate handle) and the 'meat' of the spoiler has a larger gap on the passenger side, it like doesn't come as far to the edge for some raisin. It's maybe a 1/8" difference, but I know 100% its centered and it just seems a touch longer on the driver side edge.

Tailgate and step in:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic1

Tailgate down and step and helper bar up:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic2

Tailgate up:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic3

Tailgate up rear 3/4 view:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic4

Tailgate up rear 3/4 with tonneau cover on:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic5

Passenger side with tonneau:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic6

Rear driver side 3/4 with tonneau:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ pic7

Rear view:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ F8623716-D4C4-48B0-941C-C64F947A4F26

Last edited:

Jaysonics

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0
Been wanting a vanity plate for a while but couldn't decide on what it should be. Finally decided on this. My son's name is Martin (Marty) so seemed fitting. Probably give it to him in 15 years when he can drive!
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ PXL_20230215_222144837

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Rear spoiler is on. Had to breakout the dremel to cutout for the pop-out step after using a piece of carboard box it came in as a template (wish FoMoCo had an option for those with the tailgate step). I was fine with hacking this up since it was just about ~$8 shipped (thanks to the folks who helped me use my FordPass rewards points from purchase). I may try and put something to cover the line where it is cut (as some color is showing through, so either some marker or mask off and hit it with some matte black rattle can paint). But overall I'm super happy with how it looks. Nice and sleek, and nothing too crazy looking. My only very minor complaint is that it is pretty self centering (as it aligns with the rear tailgate handle) and the 'meat' of the spoiler has a larger gap on the passenger side, it like doesn't come as far to the edge for some raisin. It's maybe a 1/8" difference, but I know 100% its centered and it just seems a touch longer on the driver side edge.

Tailgate and step in:
pic1.jpg

Tailgate down and step and helper bar up:
That doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought one of those spoilers would look. I actually kind of like it. I wonder if it would be possible to shim up the black plastic cover for the step so it was flush with the spoiler. The only issue I could see happening is the button to pop out the step may not be able to be extended. Anyway you could use some car door edge guard around the cut edge of the spoiler to clean it up. Here's a link to what I am referring to.

Car Door Edge Guard

Sponsored

fluffernutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought one of those spoilers would look. I actually kind of like it. I wonder if it would be possible to shim up the black plastic cover for the step so it was flush with the spoiler. The only issue I could see happening is the button to pop out the step may not be able to be extended. Anyway you could use some car door edge guard around the cut edge of the spoiler to clean it up. Here's a link to what I am referring to.

Car Door Edge Guard
The edge guard is a great idea! That will hide the ugliness/unevenness of the cut.
I have ordered some from amazon to come in tomorrow. I may need to trim some more plastic away for it to fully seat without touching the step when it comes out.

But yea, would look more clean if it was all flush (but as you note, you'll still need a way to hit the button that ejects the step). Would be amazing if there could be a complete after market kit for this. It is also weird that the middle section of the spoiler is raised with nothing underneath, so it only touches on the outer edges where the 3m tape is.

Here are some additional shots from above looking back for those curious as to the overall look.

From the cab looking back with tonneau down:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 60EBE59C-AF2B-4985-9C38-C4E8654F8AA4

With tonneau up:
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 0BB39E83-5CD5-400E-AF63-346858276B20

And with the step popped out a touch. You can see due to the spoilers curvature it doesn’t really align (so shimming wouldn’t add much to the overall look):
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ F8772821-EE6B-4D6A-834B-73924CD49167

I’m going to mostly drive with the tonneau covering it, so most folks aren’t really seeing it from top down unless they are in lifted trucks :) Couldn't beat it for the price, but would look great for those without the tailgate step until someone with a large 3d printer can make one for those with the step to avoid the manual work needed and to give an overall cleaner look.

Last edited:

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
The edge guard is a great idea! That will hide the ugliness/unevenness of the cut.
I have ordered some from amazon to come in tomorrow. I may need to trim some more plastic away for it to fully seat without touching the step when it comes out.

But yea, would look more clean if it was all flush (but as you note, you'll still need a way to hit the button that ejects the step). Would be amazing if there could be a complete after market kit for this. It is also weird that the middle section of the spoiler is raised with nothing underneath, so it only touches on the outer edges where the 3m tape is.

Here are some additional shots from above looking back for those curious as to the overall look.

From the cab looking back with tonneau down:
60EBE59C-AF2B-4985-9C38-C4E8654F8AA4.jpeg

With tonneau up:
0BB39E83-5CD5-400E-AF63-346858276B20.jpeg

And with the step popped out a touch. You can see due to the spoilers curvature it doesn’t really align (so shimming wouldn’t add much to the overall look):
F8772821-EE6B-4D6A-834B-73924CD49167.jpeg

I’m going to mostly drive with the tonneau covering it, so most folks aren’t really seeing it from top down unless they are in lifted trucks :) Couldn't beat it for the price, but would look great for those without the tailgate step until someone with a large 3d printer can make one for those with the step to avoid the manual work needed and to give an overall cleaner look.
Looks good! Maybe something like one of these to clean it up?

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/door-weatherstripping/rubber-trim-7/

fluffernutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Rear diff cover and fluid change today. Can anyone explain to me like I'm 5 why Ford decided to dip and pour blue loctite on the diff cover bolts before they installed them? Removing the residual loctite was harder than getting the RTV off.
Diff1.jpg
Diff2.jpg
A better question might be, why doesn't the factory cover include drain and fill bolts? New cover looks nice btw.

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Added 275/65R20 Recon Grapplers in SL rating, Bilstein Ford Performance Kit, and AMP power steps. Loving the way it’s coming together! Trying my best to not kill my mileage in the process πŸ˜‚
2AD3EAD9-47B7-4036-9EE7-C608FD3EE60D.jpeg
Looks great and almost identical to my truck! I thought the AMP steps didn't work with the Powerboost.... Did you have to make any mods for them to work?

Hebed118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB 4x4
Looks great and almost identical to my truck! I thought the AMP steps didn't work with the Powerboost.... Did you have to make any mods for them to work?
They do work, but require some modification. I knew this before going into it so it wasn’t bad. The motor on the passenger side can touch the cooling lines. However this can be fixed by creating a barrier to prevent the rubbing. Another option is to add some length to the harness and put the motor in the rear location I believe. The other difference is the wires you have to tap into. One of them is different. Took all of about 2hr15min. They do have a part number specifically for the PowerBoost, but those seem to be on a pretty large backorder everywhere I checked. Hope this helps!

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Rear diff cover and fluid change today. Can anyone explain to me like I'm 5 why Ford decided to dip and pour blue loctite on the diff cover bolts before they installed them? Removing the residual loctite was harder than getting the RTV off.
Diff1.jpg
Diff2.jpg
Looks nice. For super easy fluid changes like that, get it good and hot and a cheap fluid extractor will make quick work of even gear oil. No mess and no chance of causing a leak and needing to reseal the cover.
Sponsored