Reaction score
Website
offcambercrawlers.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150, 1987 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Auto Tech
Oil Change, and 5 way tire rotation.
Also fabricated and welded in front lower control arm bracket gussets.
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 20220914_174814

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 20220914_174824
Sponsored

thechester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I torqued to 66 lbs. Is that correct? Thanks,
Referring to the Motorcraft Workshop Manual for 2022 F150 torques:
  • Front shock/spring assy upper center rod nut = 41 lb.ft (55 Nm)
  • Front shock/spring assy upper three nuts = 52 lb.ft (70 Nm)
  • Front shock/spring assy lower two nuts = 66 lb.ft (90 Nm)
  • Rear shock absorber nuts upper & lower = 66 lb.ft (90 Nm)
All fasteners are designated single-use.

Hope that helps.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Pulled the rear FX shocks out and installed a set of Bilstein 5100's. Well did it last night. It made a significant improvement in ride quality. (y)

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Pulled the rear FX shocks out and installed a set of Bilstein 5100's. Well did it last night. It made a significant improvement in ride quality. (y)
Did those rear Bilstein 5100's come with a new set of fasteners? I think I am going to do this too.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Did those rear Bilstein 5100's come with a new set of fasteners? I think I am going to do this too.
Nope. Have to reuse the existing ones. I applied some anti seize when I swapped mine out.

thechester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Nope. Have to reuse the existing ones. I applied some anti seize when I swapped mine out.
I waffled on reusing the OEM nuts and bolts. My truck has 1,000 miles on it so I reused them and used some anti-seize. The new hardware is $100 at my local dealership.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Put Bilsteins on rear. Took more than half hour but got job done.
Do share if you really feel any difference in ride (on-road, not off-road).

Please share what difference do you feel in ride quality (on-road).

IDK guys, it looks like "Billstein 5100's" is like a new gadget that everyone must have and then some people say "significant improvement", others say "can't really tell if there's a difference".
So I really want to know if a set of rear Billsteins on my FX4 will really WOW me, or if it's just a cool thing to have.
Also, do rear 'better' shocks alone really make a difference if you leave the stocks one in the front?

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow

IDK guys, it looks like "Billstein 5100's" is like a new gadget that everyone must have and then some people say "significant improvement", others say "can't really tell if there's a difference".
So I really want to know if a set of rear Billsteins on my FX4 will really WOW me, or if it's just a cool thing to have.
Also, do rear 'better' shocks alone really make a difference if you leave the stocks one in the front?
I do know a difference on the country roads that I drive. Move even and less "bouncy". About the same on the city streets. RR crossing are more even too.

Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did the exact same thing today and torqued to 66 lbs. as well. I asked Bilstein and they said to ask Ford so I did in the chat. That was useless so I did some internet searching and found this site. This is for the 13th gen trucks as the 14th section isn't very filled in.

https://tighttorque.com/trucks/ford/f150-13#suspension

When did we start torque wheel lug nuts?!

I am old enough to remember taking wheels off, put them back on, and tighten the lug nuts as hard as you can, no one ever mentioned or used - or even owned - a torque ranch for the wheels. When did this become a thing and what could happen if I just hand tight the lug nuts on the wheels?

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do know a difference on the country roads that I drive. Move even and less "bouncy". About the same on the city streets. RR crossing are more even too.

Can you please try and describe what kind of difference? Not trying to be a dick, but perhaps I am not feeling - while driving - something that I say to myself "OK, better shocks would prevent this".

Also, did you replace just rears or also the fronts?

thechester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150

I replaced my non-FX4 shocks with 5100s yesterday. I took it for a drive and didn't really think there was much difference. However, there is a stretch of road near my house that is just wrecked from continuous dump truck traffic. The road is wavy and full of cracks that create what feels like wheel hop during medium to hard acceleration. The 5100s made a world of difference in how the road imperfections were absorbed.

For $200 it's really a no brainer. (y)

thechester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
When did we start torque wheel lug nuts?!

I am old enough to remember taking wheels off, put them back on, and tighten the lug nuts as hard as you can, no one ever mentioned or used - or even owned - a torque ranch for the wheels. When did this become a thing and what could happen if I just hand tight the lug nuts on the wheels?
I've always torqued wheel nuts. I grew up with a dad that was an automotive tech and he's always followed proper specs from the service manuals.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I replaced my non-FX4 shocks with 5100s yesterday. I took it for a drive and didn't really think there was much difference. However, there is a stretch of road near my house that is just wrecked from continuous dump truck traffic. The road is wavy and full of cracks that create what feels like wheel hop during medium to hard acceleration. The 5100s made a world of difference in how the road imperfections were absorbed.

For $200 it's really a no brainer. (y)
Absolutely worth it. Just the rears alone make a significant improvement that for me I'm not in any hurry to swap the fronts. Just like in the Ranger I had Bilsteins in the rear and OEM in front and it was fine for the two years I owned that truck.

I didn't notice much of a difference on city streets other than it feels more planted than before. The 5100's really do settle the rolling boat FX4 ride down considerably on the freeway. Offroad dampening is where the 5100's really shine over the FX shocks. If Ford would just increase the rebound dampening they would be fine for most situations. With rebound dampening being too soft the suspension will over extend causing the rolling boat like ride that many complain about. The 5100's have much tighter rebound valving and all but eliminates it when just replacing the rears. The front will still bounce a little but nothing like when the whole truck feels like an 87 caddy. I have also found that the 5100's cut down on rear wheel hop under hard acceleration too.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: sbi