Sponsored

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
did the indent in the center console lid to the right of the open button not work for you?

...because what else would you do with your new $60k toy but start drilling holes in it?!

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
did the indent in the center console lid to the right of the open button not work for you?
Oh! Thank you I couldn't figure out what this was doing. So yes, it is to let you plug into the USB's *inside* the console. I do this currently in my 2017 and plan to again in my 2021. In the 2017 there are two notches in the lid to let you pass a cord out. I have one cord on driver side and one on passenger side, and pull out as much length as I need, very clean. Does the 2021 not come with a notched lid?!?

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
Oh! Thank you I couldn't figure out what this was doing. So yes, it is to let you plug into the USB's *inside* the console. I do this currently in my 2017 and plan to again in my 2021. In the 2017 there are two notches in the lid to let you pass a cord out. I have one cord on driver side and one on passenger side, and pull out as much length as I need, very clean. Does the 2021 not come with a notched lid?!?
My 2021 XLT comes with one notch on the right side. It’s not a fold flat workspace lid (not sure if the workspace lids don’t have the notch?)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My 2021 XLT comes with one notch on the right side. It’s not a fold flat workspace lid (not sure if the workspace lids don’t have the notch?)
What a strange design choice! (getting rid of having 2 notches) It literally hurts nothing to have one on each side. Hmm... Maybe they think the driver will use the ones at the bottom of the center stack, and passenger use the ones inside the console.

May I ask since you are using the console ports, does it try to make a data connection to your phone like the ones at the base of the center stack? Or does it strictly connect as a charging port?

Thanks! This will help me plan my strategy/mods.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Replaced the stock antenna with a shorty from American Trucks.
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 20210302_163231
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 20210302_163244

Sponsored

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
not sure if the workspace lids don’t have the notch?
Yes, it does have a pass-through notch on the passenger side only. I do not have the workspace option.

It did work, but its placement resulted in a daily fight between the cable and my coffee mug for that rear cup holder. I also didn't like that when the phone was NOT plugged in, the cable tended to just stick straight up/out.

Obviously, my OCD is also a major factor here - the nest of cables in my old truck drove me nuts, and I prefer to route the "back seat" cables from the inside console port rather than have them hanging out of the back. I'd love to find a way to feed those in a similar way into the new phone "cubby" between the rear cup holders, but there is a metal plate behind the rear side of the console compartment.

May I ask since you are using the console ports, does it try to make a data connection to your phone like the ones at the base of the center stack? Or does it strictly connect as a charging port?
Great question... I have my phone set up for Bluetooth and wireless CarPlay, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect it is strictly for charging (which suits my needs). One thing I did find curious (and frustrating) is that the '21 no longer offers a 12v charging port in the console well; it's now just one USB-A and one USB-C. This forced some changes to the charging hub setup I had in the '18.

This is the xlt sport with 302A high.

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
What a strange design choice! (getting rid of having 2 notches) It literally hurts nothing to have one on each side. Hmm... Maybe they think the driver will use the ones at the bottom of the center stack, and passenger use the ones inside the console.

Thanks! This will help me plan my strategy/mods.
Whenever I plug my iPhone in to the cord from the center console - it’s already connected via wireless CarPlay so I don’t think any sort of data connection is overriding the already activated wireless CarPlay. I’m not sure though

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Yes, it does have a pass-through notch on the passenger side only. I do not have the workspace option.

It did work, but its placement resulted in a daily fight between the cable and my coffee mug for that rear cup holder. I also didn't like that when the phone was NOT plugged in, the cable tended to just stick straight up/out.

Obviously, my OCD is also a major factor here - the nest of cables in my old truck drove me nuts, and I prefer to route the "back seat" cables from the inside console port rather than have them hanging out of the back. I'd love to find a way to feed those in a similar way into the new phone "cubby" between the rear cup holders, but there is a metal plate behind the rear side of the console compartment.

Great question... I have my phone set up for Bluetooth and wireless CarPlay, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect it is strictly for charging (which suits my needs). One thing I did find curious (and frustrating) is that the '21 no longer offers a 12v charging port in the console well; it's now just one USB-A and one USB-C. This forced some changes to the charging hub setup I had in the '18.

Check to see if the end of the plug is magnetic. If so, they make strong tiny magnets that could be attached with double side automotive tape.

I have the same OCD.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Just got the truck back yesterday from a local detail shop:
- Xpel ppf on front, partial hood, headlights/fogs and b pillars - didn’t think of the b pillars until he mentioned them
- Xpel ceramic 20% on both fronts - was going to do the windshield with 70% - got a rock chip in first two weeks and understand there’s a windshield recall coming, fixed rock chip

Last week had Linex premium done and then drove over to the tonneau shop and added an undercover ultra flex. First week got a deezee mat.

For now I’m done. Next will be leveling shocks and rears with tires. Will be following those threads closely...?

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Installed OEM Ford wheel well liners. Makes quite a difference on a light colored truck.
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0738
Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ IMG_0737

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Whenever I plug my iPhone in to the cord from the center console - it’s already connected via wireless CarPlay so I don’t think any sort of data connection is overriding the already activated wireless CarPlay. I’m not sure though
Check to see if the end of the plug is magnetic. If so, they make strong tiny magnets that could be attached with double side automotive tape.

I have the same OCD.
We're all in the same boat. I like a 3ft cord, but I only want to pull out what I need at any given time from the console. So I like my 12V dual Qi fast charger inside my console, but obviously they took that away from us in 2021. I never used the data ports in the center stack on my 2017 because it wants to read my phone as mass storage, or connect android auto, etc. I just want to charge! I do not want a data connection, so this is why I hope the center console ports are charge only. Also, I HOPE they are fast charge, and not the minimum 500mA data port charge on the USB-A.

In the worst case, I may pop out the included USB-A/USB-C plug inside the console and try to put a 12V socket there. There has to be 12V wiring to power the ports already, Ford just did us dirty by not providing a socket!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Installed OEM Ford wheel well liners. Makes quite a difference on a light colored truck.
I agree, don't like seeing the white behind the wheels.

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 1614972853988

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
My modifications:

icon stage 3 suspension (made for 2020), not really a level, just an improved suspension that happens to raise the front 1.75 inches. We had to make some modifications so the ride height sensor would work. All is fine until I go off road. I don’t recommend this mod until the official 2021 release.

Autobahn i3 tint and 2 layers of Autobahn ceramic paint coating.

Fuel Blitz Wheels 20x9 +1 offset

RSI Smart cap with paint match. The RSI roof drop rack was ordered months ago and will probably be here in a month or 2

cradlepoint 1700 router with both Verizon and ATT SIM cards with parsec husky low profile dome antennae. All of this is installed in the smart cap. We had to fabricated an equipment rack for the inside of the roof cap.

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/products/smartcap-evo

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/components/smart-rack

https://parsec-t.com/product/husky-pro-series-ip67-5g-antenna/

https://cradlepoint.com/product/endpoints/ibr1700/

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ D2B0D725-7FB3-4ED4-9A6F-37E9841B5B3F

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 2E33356B-1F42-421A-9D51-34A33A98AD89

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ E98D85FA-8AB1-40C7-9D13-2676CB613BB4

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ B01268A4-BEB4-4E1E-A750-713086D23B72

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 94721565-15E5-4977-8B3D-982BC319F486

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ DCF66567-278D-449D-8B24-A89BEF8060D1

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ F3B51873-A48D-4C16-9202-23E9E13BE9DB

Ford F-150 What did you do TO your F-150 today? πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ DE85AC69-8881-480B-8E54-542E1E13E1CB

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My modifications:

icon stage 3 suspension (made for 2020), not really a level, just an improved suspension that happens to raise the front 1.75 inches. We had to make some modifications so the ride height sensor would work. All is fine until I go off road. I don’t recommend this mod until the official 2021 release.

Autobahn i3 tint and 2 layers of Autobahn ceramic paint coating.

Fuel Blitz Wheels 20x9 +1 offset

RSI Smart cap with paint match. The RSI roof drop rack was ordered months ago and will probably be here in a month or 2

cradlepoint 1700 router with both Verizon and ATT SIM cards with parsec husky low profile dome antennae. All of this is installed in the smart cap. We had to fabricated an equipment rack for the inside of the roof cap.

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/products/smartcap-evo

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/components/smart-rack

https://parsec-t.com/product/husky-pro-series-ip67-5g-antenna/

https://cradlepoint.com/product/endpoints/ibr1700/
Dang Adam, you planning on talking with Mars?? :ROFLMAO:

Did they paint match it?

You got her look lean and mean!
Sponsored

Last edited: