Sponsored

What changes when Tow/Haul mode is used?

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
So today I pulled home a new 4800 pound travel trailer and was kind of perplexed by the differences between Tow/Haul mode and Normal mode when pulling the trailer.

When the truck was in Tow/Haul I feel like it was guzzling gas in comparison to when in Normal mode. It took a bit more gas to get up to speed when in Normal but my fuel estimation wasn’t ticking down nearly as fast as when the truck was in Tow/Haul.

The braking in Tow mode also felt kind of odd, even with the trailer brake gain set pretty low.

Anyone have insight into the differences here?
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I suspect that the drive by wire throttle pedal could have a different sensitivity. The muscle memory that you developed in normal mode possibly made it feel different, kind of like back in the day when guys would change out their throttle cable bracket and think it gave them extra horsepower. The slippery and winter modes do this in reverse and the Sport mode does it in addition to holding the gears longer. The manual doesn't mention anything about changing throttle sensitivity in Tow/Haul but it's possible that it makes it more sensitive.

Ford F-150 What changes when Tow/Haul mode is used? 1266A115-315C-42AB-A340-0BDAFB354757

The strange braking feel could be the additional engine braking in Tow/Haul. The transmission on a lot of new vehicles let cars and trucks coast better when you let off the throttle. On some cars I have driven, it almost feels like something is wrong with the brakes as you're slowing down and the compression braking is suddenly absent and you have to press the brake pedal more than your muscle memory anticipated.

I would be curious to see if anyone has done any loaded braking tests with and without Tow/Haul and what Ford engineers have to say.

I have used the transmission and engine compression to slow down before in the mountains in older trucks and vans I've had with shitty brakes but the discs are huge in the F-150 and they are even bigger in the rear with Max Tow. I wonder if there's any weight recommendation or grade recommendation for using Tow/Haul, because I imagine that normal mode should be fine for flat topography.

Hopefully some of the resident towing experts will chime in.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I wonder if you are towing light loads, say 2000 pounds, do you need to be in tow mode.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have used the transmission and engine compression to slow down before in the mountains in older trucks and vans I've had with shitty brakes but the discs are huge in the F-150 and they are even bigger in the rear with Max Tow. I wonder if there's any weight recommendation or grade recommendation for using Tow/Haul, because I imagine that normal mode should be fine for flat topography.

Hopefully some of the resident towing experts will chime in.
not a resident expert but, it has been my experience that brakes last much longer on manual trans vehicles, probably due to the engine braking that is not really there in the AOD transmissions since the 80s

my 79 c10 with 430k on the clock is only on its second set of pads and shoes. Mostly hiway w trailer
My 98 k1500 is on its second set at 200k. A bit of everything type driving

my auto trans cars never went so long without pad changes

Tjbev13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT 302A, 3.5EB, Max Tow, FX4
Occupation
Turner of wrenches
Even in my old 2015 Sierra with the 5.3 I tow my 21' bass boat in normal mode. I just feel like tow/haul gets way worse gas milage and its over kill for that light of a set up. I could be wrong

Sponsored

SanJuanTech

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 3.5 302A w/Max Tow
I haul a TT quite often about the same weight as you describe ~4300+ and yes gas milage does go down but I still get on average 13-17 mpg using tow/haul mode. As is says it helps with braking when adding weight as I have found out on occasion when someone pulls out in front of you. I have my trailer brake gain set at 5 I think. The great gas milage this trucks get is based on perfect conditions and settings. Add weight of any kind and it goes out the window and results will vary.

vwottawa

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 2022 502A, Max Tow
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone know if the rear differential locks when going in Tow/Haul mode?

Jdsnowman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
General Manager
Does anyone know if the rear differential locks when going in Tow/Haul mode?
It does not, and you wouldn't want it to. The diff lock is for off road or slippery conditions and scuffs the tires when turning.

vwottawa

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 2022 502A, Max Tow
Occupation
Engineer
It does not, and you wouldn't want it to. The diff lock is for off road or slippery conditions and scuffs the tires when turning.
Yeah, that makes sense, should have thought it through more.

The other thing I wanted to ask is, after towing for about 3 hours, I stopped the truck and unhooked.

Then when I went to drive it again, I switch to Normal mode (previous was Tow/Haul) and the diff lock symbol popped up on the screen.

Anyone else have this happen.

I switch to tow/haul and then back to normal and the diff lock went away.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Let your truck idle a little while after towing. Your likely into boost a lot more and its good to let the turbos cool down before killing the ignition.
Sponsored