Sponsored

What can be done to improve B&O system? (non-unleashed)

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I hate starting new threads but I don't see anything that specifically address the issues with the non-unleashed B&O system. There are threads about adding subs, ect, but that's not my issue.

Now I'm going off the assumption that my system isn't defective, but when the fade and balance are set evenly to the center of the truck, I hear NOTHING from the rear speakers. All the sound seems like it is in front of me. When I set the fade to 100 percent rear speakers, the sound is almost what I would call muffled. Not clear and nowhere near the level of the fronts. If you start to fade up to the front and bring the front speakers online, you have no volume at all. It's pretty quiet even cranked to 30 not to mention that the quality is pretty bad because of the rear speakers.

So my questions are for you current owners and audio folks.

1. Are you experiencing the same situation as me?
2. What's a solution that is somewhat cost effective? Not looking to drop a thousand dollars into a sound system I already paid to be better than stock.
3. Do you think just changing out the rear speakers would achieve a better balance or is it a power to the rear speakers issue? Or something deeper?

To be clear I'm not looking for more bass or even more volume than what is provided by the front speakers. I'm just looking for balance. I just want to sound to be even in the cabin vs what I have now which is all the sound is in front of me. It's a shame that my 2013 F150 Sony system was 100 times better than what I have now, 8 years later.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I hate starting new threads but I don't see anything that specifically address the issues with the non-unleashed B&O system. There are threads about adding subs, ect, but that's not my issue.

Now I'm going off the assumption that my system isn't defective, but when the fade and balance are set evenly to the center of the truck, I hear NOTHING from the rear speakers. All the sound seems like it is in front of me. When I set the fade to 100 percent rear speakers, the sound is almost what I would call muffled. Not clear and nowhere near the level of the fronts. If you start to fade up to the front and bring the front speakers online, you have no volume at all. It's pretty quiet even cranked to 30 not to mention that the quality is pretty bad because of the rear speakers.

2. What's a solution that is somewhat cost effective? Not looking to drop a thousand dollars into a sound system I already paid to be better than stock.
3. Do you think just changing out the rear speakers would achieve a better balance or is it a power to the rear speakers issue? Or something deeper?

To be clear I'm not looking for more bass or even more volume than what is provided by the front speakers. I'm just looking for balance. I just want to sound to be even in the cabin vs what I have now which is all the sound is in front of me. It's a shame that my 2013 F150 Sony system was 100 times better than what I have now, 8 years later.

I also had a 2013 upgraded Sony system and I agree that it was better than this non unleashed B&O system. I just don’t get it. How can a premium system from 2013 be better than a premium system from 2021? I do not have the problem that you have though. When the fade is set 100% to the rear it sounds pretty clear to me. Maybe it’s your source of audio? Even SiriusXM sounds pretty clear. I think switching out to some better speakers in the future is in the cards. I too don’t need lots of bass and the bass on this one is sufficient for me. But it’s clearly not as good as my 2013 Sony system. Maybe a dealer visit is in your future.

OP
OP
Roady

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I also had a 2013 upgraded Sony system and I agree that it was better than this non unleashed B&O system. I just don’t get it. How can a premium system from 2013 be better than a premium system from 2021? I do not have the problem that you have though. When the fade is set 100% to the rear it sounds pretty clear to me. Maybe it’s your source of audio? Even SiriusXM sounds pretty clear. I think switching out to some better speakers in the future is in the cards. I too don’t need lots of bass and the bass on this one is sufficient for me. But it’s clearly not as good as my 2013 Sony system. Maybe a dealer visit is in your future.
Thanks, this is helpful information. My source is Spotify so high quality bitrate.

Airspeed00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 502 SCREW

Same issue, little to no muffled sound coming from the rear speakers. No time to try to diagnose and fix.

Hoping someone else can help!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
I think for the Non Unleashed we paid for the B&O decals and some different colored speaker grills.

Basically I don’t think you can do anything except toss the whole system and start over

Sponsored

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I've just noticed the same issue today. Base BO system always seemed front occupant balanced but today for first time I put the fader all the way to the rear and found the rears almost non existent.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I think for the Non Unleashed we paid for the B&O decals and some different colored speaker grills.

Basically I don’t think you can do anything except toss the whole system and start over
The kicker is you need a nav TV unit (600.00) to integrate since the amp needs to stay. I feel dumb getting it looking back, realistically I went 501A and I’m not sure what I got out of it other than garage opener.

Bigtwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush F-150, 2019 Edge

I found the same issues to my ears. I set the fader to just behind the drivers seat, switched to surround and dropped the midrange a click or 2.. A world of difference, the whole cab swims in music now.

Bigtwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush F-150, 2019 Edge

Contrare. I had the Sony system in my 18 GT350 and the B&O in my 19 GT350. World of difference between the 2, and the sound quality in my crew cab is virtually the same as the 19 GT350. Only difference I can tell is the trunk mounted sub in the GT350 had more punch.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
THis is because the rear speaker is designed for ambience instead of having main content played through. This is OKAY for a coupe but in a supercrew designed for 5 people, this is terrible. I read this is the way it is with older F150's as well.

This really sucks as i wanted my kids to watch their shows using the rear speakers faded 100% (similar to how i did with my honda odyessy). For now i just purchased a separate bluetooth speaker for them to use while watching movies while i tow my RV to our destination.

Not the best way but works for now.

Sponsored

Predator

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2019 Escape
My 2017 ram had the upgraded sound system sure it was loud but sounded like shit at high volume. The B&O system sound great at max volume

Last edited:

Chad.Thibodeaux007!

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Communications
I have the same issue with the standard B&O system, could not be more disappointed with the lack of sound in the rear of the vehicle. Tried making multiple setting adjustments, majority of sound is delivered from front center speaker. Anyone that has made changes to this system please share the steps you have taken to improve the sound levels. Thanks, Chad

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
I have the same issue with the standard B&O system, could not be more disappointed with the lack of sound in the rear of the vehicle. Tried making multiple setting adjustments, majority of sound is delivered from front center speaker. Anyone that has made changes to this system please share the steps you have taken to improve the sound levels. Thanks, Chad
I removed the center speaker. Big improvement.

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Overall I’m not impressed with the B&O systems.

Things that seem to help:
  1. Leave it on stereo mode instead of surround
  2. Consider the source.
Ive noticed the source has huge implications in how it sounds. HD radio from a good station actually sounds pretty decent. Wiring the my IPhone instead of using wireless CarPlay also seems to help. Anything that’s Bluetooth, even if playing lossless audio, will be loasy compressed as I understand.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Does it sound the same in “stereo” vs “surround” mode?
Sponsored