Sponsored

What are the heavier options to avoid to increase payload?

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Valid point to use a realistic tongue weight. It hurts though and pushes the needed max payload to at over ~1400lbs.

In theory i think i can get there based on:
- dropping sprayin bed-liner 45lbs
- dropping moonroof 64lbs
- dropping max recline ?lbs
- move all bikes and racks to inside/rear of trailer
- assuming WDH will move a 1/3 of realistic tongue weight to trailer axels

I'm officially looking at if i can do better with an up-optioned Lariat. But even that's hard w/o knowing the payload weights of the new gen options. I'm also in Canada and have less flexibility to configure options, want to keep FX4, towing mirrors, PB (for generator), etc.
The power running boards really hurt (~60 lbs in last gen). That and dropping the power tailgate would be what I suggest are the biggest confident payload boosts with a 502A lariat.

I suspect there might be weight savings in 18” wheels too, but I could never pin down the savings, and seemed quite variable depending on which tires you end up with.
Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
The power running boards really hurt (~60 lbs in last gen). That and dropping the power tailgate would be what I suggest are the biggest confident payload boosts with a 502A lariat.

I suspect there might be weight savings in 18” wheels too, but I could never pin down the savings, and seemed quite variable depending on which tires you end up with.
The power running boards are only that heavy if you compare them against no running board. I think they are around 18 pounds over regular running boards. The biggest easiest to drop are the sunroof and the FX4. You don’t lose anything you will miss and save a good bunch of money. The power tailgate and step is another heavy option which you won’t miss much.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Valid point to use a realistic tongue weight. It hurts though and pushes the needed max payload to at over ~1400lbs.

In theory i think i can get there based on:
- dropping sprayin bed-liner 45lbs
- dropping moonroof 64lbs
- dropping max recline ?lbs
- move all bikes and racks to inside/rear of trailer
- assuming WDH will move a 1/3 of realistic tongue weight to trailer axels

I'm officially looking at if i can do better with an up-optioned Lariat. But even that's hard w/o knowing the payload weights of the new gen options. I'm also in Canada and have less flexibility to configure options, want to keep FX4, towing mirrors, PB (for generator), etc.
What is the big attraction of FX4 ? Really all you are getting is some cheap skid plates. Unless you are doing serious off roading and worried about puncturing gas tank etc it’s not worth the cost / weight.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
8000lbs dry and a family of 4, you need a 250! No way your numbers pan out even if you do a lariat with limited options up to 1600-1700lbs payload.....

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Thank you! All the best.

You could consider replacing the 6V batteries with Lithium (but not sure about low temperature performance but not many camp is real cold weather). Lithium are less than half the weight...

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What is the big attraction of FX4 ? Really all you are getting is some cheap skid plates. Unless you are doing serious off roading and worried about puncturing gas tank etc it’s not worth the cost / weight.
I basically wanted hill decent control as there are 2 campgrounds we like that had steep unpaved access roads and the wife insisted we get a new truck with fx4 so it really is my whole reason to get a new truck. I'm considering removing the skid plates. I did figure I was going to get weather tech mats anyway so the included fx4 mats cancel that out. (but I am now disappointed by their coverage area in pics)

Anyway, agree fx4 is a waste if you are primarily towing.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I don’t think removing skid plates will even net you 20#
Front large plate is aluminum—-maybe 6#
Small boomerang shaped TC plate maybe 5# ( I believe it is steel )
Tank plate being plastic is all but weightless.

The gain in my opinion, is just not worth the effort to remove

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I don’t think removing skid plates will even net you 20#
Front large plate is aluminum—-maybe 6#
Small boomerang shaped TC plate maybe 5# ( I believe it is steel )
Tank plate being plastic is all but weightless.

The gain in my opinion, is just not worth the effort to remove
Ford list the skid plates as a 28 pound penalty.

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
Oh boy, lots of research has been done on this one.... Your best starting point is to use this brochure and scroll to the option weights. NOTE: None of the '21 specific features are there, like power tailgate, max recline, and fold-flat storage. But you can at least get an idea!

https://madocumentupload.marketinga...201d1cadadd0f9dda860921822f9ad19a054&v5=False

Looks like the BEST bang for your buck would be to ditch the family ?
I did a similar effort to try to figure out the payload for what I was considering ordering . I ended up putting the weights into a spreadsheet to try to figure out what I wanted to order. I have attached an updated version of the spreadsheet. Option 2 in the spreadsheet is based on a build I found in the forum which was close to what I was considering. The yellow sticker payload was 1466, but the spreadsheet shows a payload of 1596 so there is 130 pounds of weight unaccounted for.

To use the spreadsheet you will need to look up the GVWR & Curb weight in the specs document (link in file) and update the options sheet with options above the base model. Given the large amount of missing weight, I think it is best used is to start with a truck that is close and use the options sheet to see the effect of adjusting the options.

Attachments

OP
OP

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
I did a similar effort to try to figure out the payload for what I was considering ordering . I ended up putting the weights into a spreadsheet to try to figure out what I wanted to order. I have attached an updated version of the spreadsheet. Option 2 in the spreadsheet is based on a build I found in the forum which was close to what I was considering. The yellow sticker payload was 1466, but the spreadsheet shows a payload of 1596 so there is 130 pounds of weight unaccounted for.
Awesome resource. Thanks! Do you happen to know the meaning/difference for 'front' weight and 'total' weight? Also do you agree the common Trailer Tow Package is reference as 'medium duty' in the weight listing? I think heavy duty refers to the uncommon HDPP available only on a couple trucks.

Thanks to the help of folks on this forum it's plain to me i need to trailer down and remove truck options. And yes i'm still considering an F250 but hard to convince family in that regard as our daily driver.

I have been able to calculate a max payload >1400 which in theory only allows me to consider a trailer in the ~7500lbs range. I'm specifically considering SCrew 4x4, Plat, PB, SQ (changed from AMB due to this forum), FX4 (camping roads, logging roads), 7.2kw Pro Power (camping generator), Towing Mirrors, standard Trailer Tow Package, Skidplates (see FX4), Work Surface, Wheel Well Liner, Power Tailgate, Power Deployable Running Boards, Fold Flat Storage, and all the electronic options. Specifically no Moonroof, no Spay-in Bed Liner, no Max Tow Package.

Now to continue to the hunt for confirming door stickers.

Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Here is a Plat at my dealer. I am avoiding towing packages and will upgrade sway bar if I want to tow anything heavier than 7k as that is the only improvement for $1k.

Ordering a 701A 4x4 PB shortbed myself.

Ford F-150 What are the heavier options to avoid to increase payload? Screenshot_20210107-171706_Drive

Ford F-150 What are the heavier options to avoid to increase payload? 20210107_122434

Last edited:

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
Awesome resource. Thanks! Do you happen to know the meaning/difference for 'front' weight and 'total' weight? Also do you agree the common Trailer Tow Package is reference as 'medium duty' in the weight listing? I think heavy duty refers to the uncommon HDPP available only on a couple trucks.

Thanks to the help of folks on this forum it's plain to me i need to trailer down and remove truck options. And yes i'm still considering an F250 but hard to convince family in that regard as our daily driver.

I have been able to calculate a max payload >1400 which in theory only allows me to consider a trailer in the ~7500lbs range. I'm specifically considering SCrew 4x4, Plat, PB, SQ (changed from AMB due to this forum), FX4 (camping roads, logging roads), 7.2kw Pro Power (camping generator), Towing Mirrors, standard Trailer Tow Package, Skidplates (see FX4), Work Surface, Wheel Well Liner, Power Tailgate, Power Deployable Running Boards, Fold Flat Storage, and all the electronic options. Specifically no Moonroof, no Spay-in Bed Liner, no Max Tow Package.

Now to continue to the hunt for confirming door stickers.
For what ever reason, the table in the F-150 spec document only lists the front and total weights. My assumption is the front is the front axle weight. To get the rear axle weight just subtract front from total. I only used total in the spreadsheet.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
My non Fx4 has skid plates on the gas tank. 28bs for the FX4 seems like a lot for 2 Aluminium skid plates.

Ford F-150 What are the heavier options to avoid to increase payload? 20210112_155904[1]

Ford F-150 What are the heavier options to avoid to increase payload? 20210112_155908[1]

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram Limited 1500
Occupation
Product Designer
The power running boards are only that heavy if you compare them against no running board. I think they are around 18 pounds over regular running boards. The biggest easiest to drop are the sunroof and the FX4. You don’t lose anything you will miss and save a good bunch of money. The power tailgate and step is another heavy option which you won’t miss much.
i really want the step, but it looks like the lariat had no option for just the step?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Here is a Plat at my dealer. I am avoiding towing packages and will upgrade sway bar if I want to tow anything heavier than 7k as that is the only improvement for $1k.

Ordering a 701A 4x4 PB shortbed myself.
I ordered a 301a and it was supposed to have a towing package, but it got lost in the ordering. At first I was a bit annoyed, but after some thinking about it, what is actually included?
Dealer will install trailer brake controller upon arrival and I don’t need all the technology stuff.
I don’t drag stuff around nearly as much as I used to.
Sponsored