Sponsored

What are the heavier options to avoid to increase payload?

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
I have an order in for a fully loaded, every option selected, Platinum PowerBoost. Seeing door stickers finally showing payload numbers i now know i have to change something.

I will use this as our single vehicle, daily driver, and family (4 + dog + bikes) tow vehicle many times throughout the year.

I'm now expecting a max payload ~1350lbs based on posts in this forum. Travel trailer option includes 8000lbs trailer w/ 600lbs tongue weight. I know all these numbers are as published and only a scale will give me actuals. I also know i want some wiggle room in the numbers when all is said and done.

How many lbs do these take away from payload? I've listed then in rough order of what i'd prefer to drop first.

Max recline driver seat - i know ridiculous option in general!
Bedliner spray in
Partitioned fold flat storage
Twin panel moonroof
FX4
Pro power onboard
Max trailer tow package (confused if this hurts or helps payload!).

For my payload calc i'm using:
630 Family
70 Bed cover
85 Rack
70 Bikes
600 Tongue Weight + WDH (including distribution calc)
1455 Total

Thanks!
Sponsored

Reactions: J-C

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have an order in for a fully loaded, every option selected, Platinum PowerBoost. Seeing door stickers finally showing payload numbers i now know i have to change something.

I will use this as our single vehicle, daily driver, and family (4 + dog + bikes) tow vehicle many times throughout the year.

I'm now expecting a max payload ~1350lbs based on posts in this forum. Travel trailer option includes 8000lbs trailer w/ 600lbs tongue weight. I know all these numbers are as published and only a scale will give me actuals. I also know i want some wiggle room in the numbers when all is said and done.

How many lbs do these take away from payload? I've listed then in rough order of what i'd prefer to drop first.

Max recline driver seat - i know ridiculous option in general!
Bedliner spray in
Partitioned fold flat storage
Twin panel moonroof
FX4
Pro power onboard
Max trailer tow package (confused if this hurts or helps payload!).

For my payload calc i'm using:
630 Family
70 Bed cover
85 Rack
70 Bikes
600 Tongue Weight + WDH (including distribution calc)
1455 Total

Thanks!
Oh boy, lots of research has been done on this one.... Your best starting point is to use this brochure and scroll to the option weights. NOTE: None of the '21 specific features are there, like power tailgate, max recline, and fold-flat storage. But you can at least get an idea!

https://madocumentupload.marketinga...201d1cadadd0f9dda860921822f9ad19a054&v5=False

Looks like the BEST bang for your buck would be to ditch the family ?

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I've been plagued with this research before......what can I carry vs. what can I tow. In the end, I shifted the weight of the bike/racks/outdoor equipment back to the hitch on the trailer as well as gear/luggage safely stowed in the trailer.

Is 8K the dry weight of the trailer you are towing?

Keep in mind that adding weight to the back of the trailer or over the trailer axle will help with the weight on the tongue.

I'm sure others might be able to provide some better ideas.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
?
I've been plagued with this research before......what can I carry vs. what can I tow. In the end, I shifted the weight of the bike/racks/outdoor equipment back to the hitch on the trailer as well as gear/luggage safely stowed in the trailer.

Is 8K the dry weight of the trailer you are towing?

Keep in mind that adding weight to the back of the trailer or over the trailer axle will help with the weight on the tongue.

I'm sure others might be able to provide some better ideas.
Absolutely 100% exactly what I do. Bikes on (custom reinforced onto frame) trailer hitch on trailer itself, and dogs will be in the trailer (with full vents and dog beds!) instead of in a shell so I can get rid of 250# of shell. I'm losing 300# of capability with my new truck so the shell and dogs must go!

Also just got done with axle, tire, and suspension full upgrades on the trailer so now it actually sits 1.5" taller and matches my new FX4 height increase. Can't wait to get hooked up! (after 1,000 mile breakin of course)

OP
OP

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Daemonic, in all my research never came across that pdf. Thanks!

@Discothon, yea 8000lbs is dry weight. Good ideas on moving weight over trailer axels. Putting my dog back there is creative!

Max recline driver seat - TBA
Bedliner spray in - 45lbs
Partitioned fold flat storage - TBA
Twin panel moonroof - 64lbs
FX4 - TBA
Skid plates - 28lbs
Pro power onboard - TBA
Max trailer tow package - too confusing

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
@Daemonic, in all my research never came across that pdf. Thanks!

@Discothon, yea 8000lbs is dry weight. Good ideas on moving weight over trailer axels. Putting my dog back there is creative!

Max recline driver seat - TBA
Bedliner spray in - 45lbs
Partitioned fold flat storage - TBA
Twin panel moonroof - 64lbs
FX4 - TBA
Skid plates - 28lbs
Pro power onboard - TBA
Max trailer tow package - too confusing
For me, 2 large labs were in the camper shell and I open the (pet screened) windows for them for airflow, but we can't travel on hot days with them back there. I have a temp sensor to monitor it and its pretty bad, we can only travel like 8am-1pm in summer.

But now have a maxxfan in the trailer that can be open and on while driving, and many windows to crack, and it will be far better for them and my weight distribution. They will be much happier campers!

Also, I think you are undercounting tongue weight. I would assume 10% GVWR of trailer, MINIMUM.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
For me, 2 large labs were in the camper shell and I open the (pet screened) windows for them for airflow, but we can't travel on hot days with them back there. I have a temp sensor to monitor it and its pretty bad, we can only travel like 8am-1pm in summer.

But now have a maxxfan in the trailer that can be open and on while driving, and many windows to crack, and it will be far better for them and my weight distribution. They will be much happier campers!

Also, I think you are undercounting tongue weight. I would assume 10% GVWR of trailer, MINIMUM.
Pro power onboard to camper AC for the pups for the win!?!?

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Putting the bikes on the back of the trailer helps for sure. Also, I try for absolute minimum stuff in the bed of the truck (even if that means somewhat messy/dirty things in trailer compartments).

On your question, in high trims, I think the best option to drop is the moonroof. I believe in the US you can get a platinum 700A without the tailgate step, that is another ~40 lbs of possible savings while still keeping most of the platinum goodies. In Canada we can only get 701A or 601As, so we're stuck with it.

I am dropping the spray in liner and opting for the bedrug...should save 45 lbs in exchange for ~10 lbs for the rug.

Skid plates/FX4 are another heavy option, but with the deep snow around here I'm not willing to drop those.

The trailer towing mirrors sadly add 20 lbs but are totally worth it if you tow regularly.

I have played around with the idea of dropping to a Lariat (which would allow dropping the tailgate step, power running boards ~60lbs , etc) while still optioning up most of what you get in the higher trims.

Lastly, I echo the other posters in being suspicious about tongue weight specs and being clear on dry vs wet....my trailer by spec sheet should be ~650lbs on the tongue, but by the time we loaded it up and ran across the scale, it weighed in at 900!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Pro power onboard to camper AC for the pups for the win!?!?
I have considered it but I will monitor the temperature back there (I have a remote sensor and in-dash display) before going that crazy... My shore power plug is at the BACK of my trailer, so I have to route a heavy ass 50A cable all the way up and into the bed, so that is an absolute last resort to attempt.

A trailer with front shore power? I think that would be amazingly easy!

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
My main goal for moving from my 2016 to the new 2021 was to increase payload. The 16 was a Sport, 302 crew with a short box, 20’s and no max tow. An abysmal 1310 pounds. Less than my wife’s explorer. Less than my friends minivan. (That’s embarrassing...) Family of 4 with teenagers, some camping gear, cooler, etc and a large pop up tongue weight and I’m sure I was pushing the limit on payload.

new 21 XLT 302, 3.5 and longer box and max tow and I’m up to 1836. Rides better, quieter and other than leather seats would have been considered “loaded” vehicle just a few years ago with all the options. The upper trim levels were tempting with all the cool options but I never saw anything that I had to have and was willing to give up payload for. But, I also wasn’t willing to go down from the 302 package to get the HDPP because I didn’t need that much payload and I wanted some luxury like adaptive cruise and the big screen and the sport.

All about priority's. I don’t think my choice is right for everyone but the great thing about Ford is they give us lots of options. Unfortunately, the only option they don’t give is loaded everything and high payload.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Putting the bikes on the back of the trailer helps for sure. Also, I try for absolute minimum stuff in the bed of the truck (even if that means somewhat messy/dirty things in trailer compartments).

On your question, in high trims, I think the best option to drop is the moonroof. I believe in the US you can get a platinum 700A without the tailgate step, that is another ~40 lbs of possible savings while still keeping most of the platinum goodies. In Canada we can only get 701A or 601As, so we're stuck with it.

I am dropping the spray in liner and opting for the bedrug...should save 45 lbs in exchange for ~10 lbs for the rug.

Skid plates/FX4 are another heavy option, but with the deep snow around here I'm not willing to drop those.

The trailer towing mirrors sadly add 20 lbs but are totally worth it if you tow regularly.

I have played around with the idea of dropping to a Lariat (which would allow dropping the tailgate step, power running boards ~60lbs , etc) while still optioning up most of what you get in the higher trims.

Lastly, I echo the other posters in being suspicious about tongue weight specs and being clear on dry vs wet....my trailer by spec sheet should be ~650lbs on the tongue, but by the time we loaded it up and ran across the scale, it weighed in at 900!
Hi Doug, I was trying to figure out the tailgate options in 2021. The "tailgate step" is only the *step* part of it vs basic tailgate, from previous years. It does not count the *powered* tailgate motor afaik...

My understanding is there are 3 tailgates in '21
1) basic, no work surface, no step (XL through Platinum)
2) work surface, with step, not powered (XL and XLT only)
3) work surface, with step, powered (Lariat and up forces the power tailgate if you get work surface)

I believe that option 2 is the 40# similar to previous year. We do not know what option 3 is but it sure seems like it would be greater than 40# AND it is 100% rear axle penalty.

There is no such thing as work surface without step.

Since the "options by weight" does not list power tailgate, and I have yet to see two equivalent trucks with and without the power tailgate yellow door stickers, we can't tell what the power step does.

OP
OP

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Valid point to use a realistic tongue weight. It hurts though and pushes the needed max payload to at over ~1400lbs.

In theory i think i can get there based on:
- dropping sprayin bed-liner 45lbs
- dropping moonroof 64lbs
- dropping max recline ?lbs
- move all bikes and racks to inside/rear of trailer
- assuming WDH will move a 1/3 of realistic tongue weight to trailer axels

I'm officially looking at if i can do better with an up-optioned Lariat. But even that's hard w/o knowing the payload weights of the new gen options. I'm also in Canada and have less flexibility to configure options, want to keep FX4, towing mirrors, PB (for generator), etc.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB

Do you need FX4 for snow? You can have 4x4 without FX4...

What trailer, if I may ask? I am planning on Escape 5.0 - with dry tongue weight of 630 lbs. I am counting on about 800 lbs in loaded tongue weight...

I am not doing any rug, but did opt for soft tonneau, which will add 25 lbs.

Only way to buy more payload is to go Lariat and 18' wheels, no power running boards and tailgate. Thought about KR/600A to do that but then went with Plat/701-A.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Hi Doug, I was trying to figure out the tailgate options in 2021. The "tailgate step" is only the *step* part of it vs basic tailgate, from previous years. It does not count the *powered* tailgate motor afaik...

My understanding is there are 3 tailgates in '21
1) basic, no work surface, no step (XL through Platinum)
2) work surface, with step, not powered (XL and XLT only)
3) work surface, with step, powered (Lariat and up forces the power tailgate if you get work surface)

I believe that option 2 is the 40# similar to previous year. We do not know what option 3 is but it sure seems like it would be greater than 40# AND it is 100% rear axle penalty.

There is no such thing as work surface without step.

Since the "options by weight" does not list power tailgate, and I have yet to see two equivalent trucks with and without the power tailgate yellow door stickers, we can't tell what the power step does.
Sorry, I don’t have any info on the power step. I’ve just been assuming the heavy part is the steel for the step (hence assuming the ~ 40lbs), but you are right, could be more.

Unfortunately, in Canada we can’t order 600A (Base King Ranch) or 700A (Base Platinum), we only get the “x01As” which include the step. So we are forced into the step above Lariat.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Do you need FX4 for snow? You can have 4x4 without FX4...

What trailer, if I may ask? I am planning on Escape 5.0 - with dry tongue weight of 630 lbs. I am counting on about 800 lbs in loaded tongue weight...
Good point about the 4x4 options. Skid plates are the key part for me for the snow, and I’m assuming there isn’t much weight difference between a 4x4 with Skid Plates and an FX4 .... FX4 seems to get you different front shocks (should be negligible weight difference) and a software mode (better be 0lbs :) ). And of course the sticker.

My trailer is a Rockwood 23’. I think some of the tongue weight surprise was because of 2 full 40 LB propane tanks and 2 x 6V golf cart batteries for use with the solar cells. Also, the trailer axles are pretty far back relative to its length, so just by geometry a higher percentage of the weight we put in the middle ends up on the tongue.
Sponsored