Sponsored

What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150?

Offacough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Ordered) 2023 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Can't get a Powerboost with HDPP.
So for someone after that sweet ProPower Boondocking magic, an HDPP door jamb sticker is moot. (as amazing as they can be)

I'm an RV fulltimer and I can tell you that KingRanch Powerboost is a wonderful way to enjoy the lifestyle. You just have to properly equip it for using ALL that Payload and you will be a happy camper.

I'd recommend planting that rear end with a rear Antisway bar, some oem springpack assistance, (RAS works really good), some rear shocks, and that good WDH you mentioned.
Tires can make a big difference too.

None of that will legally increase your Payload capacity, but in the real world it WILL transform that chassis at full load.

I appreciate that info on the RAS, I had never seen something like that before. I became very familiar with Jeep's 5-link suspension, having owned/lifted both a TJ Rubicon (2004) and a JK Rubicon (2012) myself (I'm an IT dweeb by trade, not a mechanic). As simple as leaves are, I had never really given them much thought other than adding more leaves.

They had a video showing installation and how that worked, and I'm going to put that down as an "if needed", but I know I can install that in a couple of hours time if towing tends to be rough on even the MaxTow package.

I had planned to add airbags regardless, because I may even install an onboard air compressor and tank between frame rails (useful for my Jeep, which is aired-down for offroad).

All of this adds further weight to the truck, though. My Jeep is already a pig, with tons of after-market goodies, heavy skids and bumpers, etc. I'm trying to not get too crazy with the truck.
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
The scales are cool, but I’m trying to calculate before I drop $40k on a travel trailer.

I’ve considered rearranging gear, and will make such considerations each time I tow. I don’t want to run it too close, though. As an example, my truck will be rated to tow over 12k pounds- but I’m stopping at 9k GVWR on the trailer with a target to not load above 8k.
1600-1800lbs for a Powerboost KingRanch is sort of rare air.

If you don't have power running boards, tailgate options, panoroof, bed liner,...... You might sneak up on 1600?

But I don't know how you could get much more than that with a "stripped" KingRanch Powerboost.

Although not carrying around a generator or gas cans is just like getting an extra 100-150lbs in reality.

Or put another way, a KingRanch Powerboost with 1500 lbs of Payload is equal to another truck with 1650kbs of Payload but with a generator and fuel tanks in the bed. :)
Agreed. Question for @Offacough is your King Ranch 2wd or 4wd?

PowerBoost is nice if there is no power on site.

Nice thing about a generator is, if there is shore power you don't need to bring a gennie and have the extra 150 lbs of payload available.

We only camp where shore power is available. Very much debated the PowerBoost to open possibility of off grid camping. But, decided to skip it for the extra payload. The odds of us dry camping are pretty rare. So not worth it for us. Your use case may vary....

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
That tow capacity of 11,000 is moot though for many/most trailers, (that weigh far less than that) since Payload will rarely be adequate with these 1/2 ton'rs.

Or put another way, what trailer weighs 11,000 lbs with a tongue weight less than the total cargo capacity of an F150? (that isn't HDPP)
My truck with the Max Tow has a payload capacity of 1770 lbs in stock configuration. A 9000 lb trailer would have a tongue weight of 1300 lbs and so that is not a problem when you do the math.

There is also a lack of awareness of how much trucks have changed over the years to be able to carry or tow greater loads. There is a world of difference with today's full boxed and reinforced frames and larger brakes and stronger transmissions and more powerful engines. A 2010 F-150 (F-250) is quite diffent from a 2022 F-150 in terms of its towing capabilities and safety.

Having towed a 13,000 lb boat trailer with my last "3/4 ton" diesel pickup I am very aware of the need for power to accelerate to freeway speeds to safely merge with traffic. Where I live the semi tractor trailer rig drivers very seldom move over a lane to allow traffic to come on the freeway and merge. The merge lanes are often only 50 yards in length and that also makes getting up to a speed that is safe for merging more difficult to accomplish.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My truck with the Max Tow has a payload capacity of 1770 lbs in stock configuration. A 9000 lb trailer would have a tongue weight of 1300 lbs and so that is not a problem when you do the math.
Empty truck maybe. But add in a driver, couple passengers... It might start getting close real quick.

Doesn't leave a lot of room if you want to bring anyhting in the box. Is the truck stock? Do you need to subtract for a box cover, bed liner etc?

My payload is 1,777 lbs and I want to be below 900 lbs on the tongue. Current 21' trailer has a dry hitch weight of 516 lbs. But there are 4 of us in the truck, plus we bring firewood. I have added a liner and box cover as well....

We are considering 2 - 24' bunkhouses. One has a dry hitch weight of 635 lbs and the other 665 lbs.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The weak points that determine payload on these trucks are the leaf springs and the tires, both of which can be upgraded. The Max Payload package simply add two spring over the stock truck as compared to 2 leaf springs with the Max Tow package.

My truck came with tires rated for 2679 lbs or 5,358 lbs for the rear drive axle. Easy to find tires with a load rating of 3,750 lbs for the truck, only need to check the width of the wheels against the preferred width for the tires.

The GVWR is the key number to use for your calculations. Payload calculatons include allotting a 150 lb load to each seat in the cab and if you are not taking 4 or 5 passengers that amount is available elsewhere.

Over the past 10 or more years trailer manufacturers have been building lighter and lighter trailers so they could be towed by smaller cars. The only downside is that they cost more when new as they use more aluminum and that became very expensive under Trump when he wanted to reward one of his supporter with the largest aluminum business in the country. Buy a used trailer and you will pay much less of a premium for the lighter trailer.

For me the key consideration is the capacity of the holding tanks and the space available for house batteries with any RV. A lot can be modified on trailers but not these two aspects.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Last edited:

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
The GVWR is the key number to use for your calculations. Payload calculatons include allotting a 150 lb load to each seat in the cab and if you are not taking 4 or 5 passengers that amount is available elsewhere.

For clarity, as I'm not sure how you meant the above.... The Yellow Payload sticker in the drivers door frame specifies allowable payload. This is based on the truck as manufactured (i.e. does not include any after market adds), includes full fluids (full tank of gas), but does NOT include an assumption on ANY passengers.

So, for example, my sticker is 1296lbs. I have approximately 150lbs of add ons (spray-in liner, heavy rubber matt in bed, tonneau cover, some tools). So I then really start with 1146lbs of available payload. When I sit in it (at 230lbs dressed) then I have 916lbs of payload left. If my brother is with me (240lbs) then I have 676lbs of payload left.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For clarity, as I'm not sure how you meant the above.... The Yellow Payload sticker in the drivers door frame specifies allowable payload. This is based on the truck as manufactured (i.e. does not include any after market adds), includes full fluids (full tank of gas), but does NOT include an assumption on ANY passengers.

So, for example, my sticker is 1296lbs. I have approximately 150lbs of add ons (spray-in liner, heavy rubber matt in bed, tonneau cover, some tools). So I then really start with 1146lbs of available payload. When I sit in it (at 230lbs dressed) then I have 916lbs of payload left. If my brother is with me (240lbs) then I have 676lbs of payload left.
This is correct. See my post above with payload sticker and read the wording on the sticker.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Did you miss the text that states that the Seating Capacity for your truck is 5?

Go to a dealer's lot and look at otherwise identical trucks, one with a regular cab and one with a crew cab and check out the payload ratings for each which will not be identical.

The new F-150 trucks have a passenger car like rear suspension and passenger tires for a plush ride and those handicaps are easy to remedy with minor changes. People have been doing this for many years by adding air bags to their vehicles.

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
You're absolutely wrong on this.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you miss the text that states that the Seating Capacity for your truck is 5?

Go to a dealer's lot and look at otherwise identical trucks, one with a regular cab and one with a crew cab and check out the payload ratings for each which will not be identical.

The new F-150 trucks have a passenger car like rear suspension and passenger tires for a plush ride and those handicaps are easy to remedy with minor changes. People have been doing this for many years by adding air bags to their vehicles.
Seating capacity has nothing to do with it.

'ALL OCCUPANTS AND CARGO MUST NEVER EXCEED XXXX LBS' is what your payload sticker says.

Whether or not you have 1 person in the truck or 5 or 6 if you have a front bench. All people and cargo must not exceed the weight on the sticker. You do not magically get to add payload lbs because you aren't using all 5 seats.

Airbags and a tire change do not change the payload rating of your truck. It may help you handle weight better. But, IT DOES NOT change your payload rating.

Last edited:

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ummmm yeah.... cause a reg cab weighs less.... Nothing to do with the amount of seats....

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
It has a hitch weight below 800 pounds? Because you are likely to have total payload of under 1,200 pounds. Payload on my PowerBoost is 1,140 pounds. A wife, yourself and a couple kids, your remaining allowable tongue weight is under 800 pounds without anything in the bed at all. - no luggage. A 30-foot+ trailer will weigh over 7,000 pounds and with 10-15% required tongue weight, you are at or nearly out of capacity. Here's my payload sticker. I am towing a 9,000 pound+ trailer (depending on how much fuel is on the boat can be over 10k), but when I do, cannot have any passengers or luggage, nothing in the back seat. I even take the tools from under the seat and put them in the boat. For long distances I relocate the truck's spare tire to the boat deck. This rig is legal by about 30 pounds, but ONLY with a half tank of fuel and with 100 gallons of fuel in the boat, half its capacity. I can take off the kayaks and carry my wife. In this configuration she is normally driving a trailing car, so no issue, but I am literally at the edge of legal.

In terms of experience, although not a TT, I did convert to electric over hydraulic brakes, and have it set up with weight equalizing hitch, so is quite similar, albeit taller. It tracks great at all speeds, does a great job towing, excellent power, feels as good as my super duties. I do also have air bags, but with light pressure (30 pounds in this pic). Bottom line is that it is the wrong truck for the job, and for the same price you can get a Super Duty, so why not? I have a specific reason to need a half ton truck (HOA rules at one property in Florida), but it has a huge efficiency disadvantage, with the gas turbos kicking in to get the power, producing half the range and fuel mileage compared to my Super Duties. Right tool for the job, and this isn't it. Hope this helps.

F150 payload sticker.jpg

f150 at scales.jpg

5mpgf150.jpg
So I appreciate everyone's attention to detail in the tons of posts about payload capacity (lack thereof). Quick question: is the obsession with being legal mainly concern for liability / what happens in a wreck? Or is there a significant chance of being pulled over by the authorities and checked for weight?

I know the dangers of over-loading-- just assume for the moment there's a range of "safe in your best opinion" but "not technically legal" payload weights.
Sponsored

Reactions: 780