Sponsored

Welders please school me, is flux welding a few tacks on a crossmember ok?

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Hey folks, I've got a handy little flux welder but have never desired to weld anything on any of our vehicles until now. I've scoured the web and it seems folks say heck no, it can cause damage to the electronics while others say no problem. I'd like to tack weld a few small brackets onto a crossmember. The instructions call for drilling but I'd rather just hit them with a few spot-welds, they won't support hardly any weight so drilling just seems like overkill.

I can fall back on JB weld but reversal would be a mess vs. just a few small tack welds. Is it safe to flux weld on a modern auto and if so, are there any extra precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The fact you're asking for advice on doing it in itself suggests you're incapable of forming a solid opinion of the question, aka, it's outside your wheelhouse. For low-load, you can use several different bonding agents to make this work without issue. Scuff up both surfaces and make the bond. Yes there is a risk of shorting when welding to a vehicle frame. The risk/reward isn't in your favor.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
The fact you're asking for advice on doing it in itself suggests you're incapable of forming a solid opinion of the question, aka, it's outside your wheelhouse. For low-load, you can use several different bonding agents to make this work without issue. Scuff up both surfaces and make the bond. Yes there is a risk of shorting when welding to a vehicle frame. The risk/reward isn't in your favor.
Right on, thanks for the candor!

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I would not do it. Way to many electrical things you would be taking a chance with. Even grounding right to the piece you are welding , Stray currents do odd things.

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I do a lot of DIY that most professionals are impressed with because I'm skilled enough, educate myself enough, and I'm not trying to make a living doing it. In almost every instance before I started, I researched and asked for advice. Asking for advice does not necessarily indicate something is outside your wheelhouse. Asking for advice is prudent.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Go buy a good set of drill/taps that include the required size thread. Keep a clean install clean. On a vehicle there is never OVER KILL when installing a add on.
I have punch taps & treasured step-bits (hard to find decent ones these days). I didn't mean overkill from a labor standpoint, I'm OCD in that regard. I meant drilling two 1/4" holes for a bracket that will be used to zip secure a simple bump coupler : o )

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
I do a lot of DIY that most professionals are impressed with because I'm skilled enough, educate myself enough, and I'm not trying to make a living doing it. In almost every instance before I started, I researched and asked for advice. Asking for advice does not necessarily indicate something is outside your wheelhouse. Asking for advice is prudent.
Same here, I took it as outside of my wheelhouse should I choose to remain ignorant on the subject. It is outside of my wheelhouse and I"m grateful that someone set me straight quick before I screwed something up. JB weld is setting now, clamped and encouraged via heat gun.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Best practice is to isolate any sensitive electronics from the structure you're welding to. All electronics on modern vehicles are full of sensitive components. Again it boils down to a risk/reward and as stated in my first reply, welding low-load tabs onto a modern vehicle makes very little sense. If you're lucky you straight cook a module. That's only $100+ if it's one. If however a module receives damage that isn't obvious, you could be chasing any number of gremlins.

If you're hell bent on having non-structural tabs welded to the frame, take it to a licensed/insured shop so that liability is offloaded.

https://weldingwatch.com/will-welding-on-a-vehicle-damage-electronics/

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
I'd avoid it, personally. You'd need to clear some paint off for the ground cable too. Not worth exposing more bare material than you have to, especially if you have other options.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JB weld is a perfectly acceptable method here. Doesn't require much at all -- a 1" square area needs a small pea worth of material. Scuff up each area with a 200 grit sand paper, wipe it off with alcohol, apply a little bit of JB weld and tape it in place to cure. You can use other faster epoxies if desired. For removal, use a chisel and give it a good whack with a hamma.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Drill them. It will look and be a cleaner install.
Sponsored