Sponsored

Welcome/Start Chime Coming From Small Dash Speaker--Is This Normal?

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
I tried searching and couldn't find much. I remember reading that this could be due to a weak battery or possibly tied to a problem with one of the stereo components, but can't find either thread for the life of me.

Now having owned my new-to-me 2021 502a Lariat with B&O Unleashed for about three weeks now, I realize that my door chime/welcome chime is coming from a little rattily (almost sounds partially blown) speaker in the dash/behind the cluster, not from all the speakers--is this normal? I thought the Ford chime when you hit the starter came through all of the speakers? Any chance anyone could point me in the right direction? I wasn't going to bring it to the dealer, but there are a few other things I want them to look at so I'll add this to the short list, but was curious if anyone could share any insight.

EDIT: For reference, I put the truck on a trickle charger overnight and when I came out in the morning it was green, thinking it might be the battery, but that didn't change anything.
EDIT-EDIT: Found these two threads that point to a possible battery issue: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/chimes-got-louder-today.6362/#post-110777 and this one mentions it happens when the APM isn't available: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/loud-blinker-sound-finally-had-enough.9158/#post-175621

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The only time I can recall that happening to me is when I disconnect and reconnect the battery for whatever reason (usually to work on the truck). I suppose it could be battery related, but I don’t have a better answer than that

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I tried searching and couldn't find much. I remember reading that this could be due to a weak battery or possibly tied to a problem with one of the stereo components, but can't find either thread for the life of me.

Now having owned my new-to-me 2021 502a Lariat with B&O Unleashed for about three weeks now, I realize that my door chime/welcome chime is coming from a little rattily (almost sounds partially blown) speaker in the dash/behind the cluster, not from all the speakers--is this normal? I thought the Ford chime when you hit the starter came through all of the speakers? Any chance anyone could point me in the right direction? I wasn't going to bring it to the dealer, but there are a few other things I want them to look at so I'll add this to the short list, but was curious if anyone could share any insight.

EDIT: For reference, I put the truck on a trickle charger overnight and when I came out in the morning it was green, thinking it might be the battery, but that didn't change anything.

Thanks!
Hi there. This noise concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Anyone have any additional info on this? Dealer was stumped so they've reached out to Ford Engineering...they found another "like" truck and they said the welcome chime came from behind the dash too. Am I missing something? I thought the door chime/welcome chime came from all of the speakers, not just behind the dash?
I've read this can be a battery issue, but anyone ever seen this? @Jesse-Infotainment, ever heard of this?
Thanks!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The chime coming from the Cluster and not the speakers is whe the acm isnt detected at start up.

What is your vin?

There was an update for the DSP to the 8 speaker B&O that addressed this issue.

To add at times the sound can come from the cluster after an OTA or if the truck has sat for a long period of time. So the dealer saying they found a like truck and it did the same is coincidence. Not proof.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Anyone have any additional info on this? Dealer was stumped so they've reached out to Ford Engineering...they found another "like" truck and they said the welcome chime came from behind the dash too. Am I missing something? I thought the door chime/welcome chime came from all of the speakers, not just behind the dash?
I've read this can be a battery issue, but anyone ever seen this? @Jesse-Infotainment, ever heard of this?
Thanks!

This is caused when the APIM module does not complete its boot sequence at truck power up. The system will instead send the dododo chime to the cluster. This can happen if the battery state of charge is low and causes some modules to be powered down when the ignition is off. This causes the modules in question to have a longer boot time. Provided the battery is not weak, changing the battery SOC from the stock 80% to 95% in the BCM module with Forscan and charging the battery with a tender for a day or driving it for several hours can resolve it after a few key cycles once the SOC is at 95%.

If you have not messed with the Chime's location setting in the IPC then you can try resetting both the IPC and APIM modules with Forscan to see if that fixes it. There's also a chance that the chime source is stuck and even resetting the modules won't work. Last thing to try is manually resetting the chime by a long press/hold of the OK button for at least 5-10 seconds on the steering wheel when starting the truck. I have had to do this reset on my 5th gen Ranger a couple of times back in Covid when the truck would sit for weeks at a time and drain the battery down forcing the dododo to the cluster instead of the doors.

OP
OP

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
This is caused when the APIM module does not complete its boot sequence at truck power up. The system will instead send the dododo chime to the cluster. This can happen if the battery state of charge is low and causes some modules to be powered down when the ignition is off. This causes the modules in question to have a longer boot time. Provided the battery is not weak, changing the battery SOC from the stock 80% to 95% in the BCM module with Forscan and charging the battery with a tender for a day or driving it for several hours can resolve it after a few key cycles once the SOC is at 95%.

If you have not messed with the Chime's location setting in the IPC then you can try resetting both the IPC and APIM modules with Forscan to see if that fixes it. There's also a chance that the chime source is stuck and even resetting the modules won't work. Last thing to try is manually resetting the chime by a long press/hold of the OK button for at least 5-10 seconds on the steering wheel when starting the truck. I have had to do this reset on my 5th gen Ranger a couple of times back in Covid when the truck would sit for weeks at a time and drain the battery down forcing the dododo to the cluster instead of the doors.
Thanks for the info, that’s super helpful! Appreciate it! 🙏

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
No problem. Hopefully one of these will get it fixed for you.

joeniosi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum

I tried the press of the OK button for 5-10 seconds when starting and it just puts truck in engineering mode. Not sure if this made any difference. I would say 10% of the time the chime goes through the speakers, the other 90% its going through the cluster. This seemingly only started happening after recent DSP upgrade.

MARCUSO

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 502A
Occupation
Instructor, Building trades
Hi there. This noise concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Mine is also doing the very same thing. I understand that the APIMm does not boot in time, but should it last for hours? I turn my truck off, go shopping and it still is on when I re-start it. It does not go away for quite some time, then all of a sudden it's normal.

This happens practically every day.

It was acting up when I picked it up from the dealer, after I brought it in. I showed the service advisor, and he said I need to re-book to get it checked.

I decided to let the dealership have the truck for 2 days and they couldn't replicate it. In the end they photocopied a sheet out of one of the service book that explained what is happening. They said that they spoke with engineering and they were told that this is normal. I get into my truck and it was malfunctioning for the rest of the day.

I opened up a case with Ford Customer service, and they asked me to follow up with the service manager. and possibly get a second opinion.

I paid $80,000 for a truck that is malfunctioning, and ford says it's normal? Maybe it's time to switch to Chevy or GM.

skiteton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat PB | 2022 Explorer ST
My door / welcome chime has sounded like it's coming from a blown speaker ever since priority update 23-PU0327-DSP-AMP on July 7th, 2023. It happens every time I get in and start it up. Even the cross-traffic and parking aid alerts sound distorted.

It's not normal and if it's true that a non-booted APIM is causing this, what else is it affecting?

I love the concept of my truck; I just don't like the execution. It's going in next week for transmission issues (2nd trip), a CEL, and the distorted speaker sound.
Sponsored