Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR F150, 4x4, 3.5L EcoBoost V6, 6.5 ft bed
Occupation
Pilot
Hello everyone,

I’m pretty sure I have majorly screwed up and need to know if I should abort mission completely or if I’ll make it 2,100 miles (moving from AZ to AK).

I have a 2021 KR (601A)F150 3.5L EcoBoost V6, with the 6.5 bed. I purchased the NuCamp Cirrus 620 (slide in truck camper), hugely marketed for 1/2 ton trucks thinking I was well in the clear…. But I’m not. I am way way way over - 1210 lbs over GVWR to be exact.

The truck alone with less than a quarter tank of gas, carrying nothing but me (200lbs) weighed 5620 lbs on the scale.
Fully loaded up with the camper (but without water), gear, myself, and full tank of gas, came in at 8360 lbs.
GVWR on the door sticker: 7150 lbs

I did get new tires that are D rated.
LT275 /60 R20, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires

Overall- how concerned should I be and what are the weakest GVWR limiting components.
Ford F-150 Weight with NuCamp Cirrus 620 Truck Camper on 2021 King Ranch 22032239-D3AE-4DC2-8177-32BA0FEDBACA
Sponsored

Last edited:

Darkjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CR-V
Occupation
God of Tech
That is kinda depressing. I am not an engineer, but I do make stuff up and am usually right. It doesn't look like your truck is sqwatting so I doubt any damage will be done. I would suggest blocking out the VIN on the sticker so if I am wrong Ford wont know its this. truck.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
The cirrus is a seriously nice camper. Yes, you’re over limit. Will you make it? I’m sure you will. Would I do it? Probably, but I’d add either airbags or a set of helper springs. The catch is this : IF you get in and accident and IF there is damage or harm and IF your insurance company weighs it, they may not pay. Also, IF during that accident you caused personal harm and IF the highway patrol weighs, you might be found responsible for negligence. A lot of “ifs.”

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Wow, I know things add up quickly, but you have 1150 pounds of stuff before water? I’d think you’d be a little better putting that stuff in a small u-haul trailer and towing it behind. If that trailer full only weighed 3000 pounds, that would equate to about 300 pounds (estimate) for the gvwr instead of having all the weight on the axles.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
You already know the answer to the question!

Plenty of folk have been guilty of overloading their trucks hauling cinder blocks or dirt a few miles down backroads at low speed but we're talking about thousands of miles at speed across highways that are rough and desolate.

Your truck's total payload is 1,530 lbs from your numbers and I would guess that your rear payload is around 1,400lbs, maybe even less if you look at the payload stickers on other higher trim level trucks.

A quick look at the manufacturer's site and they claim that model is less than 1500lbs but RV manufacturers are known to be full of shit. However, even subtracting the 216lbs of a full 36 gallon tank of gas at 6lbs per gallon; unless you packed 1,000lbs of gear, their number is way off.

Your truck has the 3/4 floating rear axle which is the same as my truck which has a 2,900lb payload. My GVWR is only 7,850 but my truck is an XLT single cab, so it's lighter. The biggest difference in your truck aside from configuration is probably different spring rates. Swapping to the next heavier leaf pack or adding airbags will change that but nothing can change the numbers on the sticker and even a few pounds overweight is still overweight.

A thousand pounds overweight and even if a hobo jumped out between two bushes in front of your truck, they're pinning the blame on you. Generally, commercial trucks are what highway patrol trucks and vans with mobile scales usually target but it's not uncommon for them to pull over light trucks with campers or trailers on a slow day. Same thing with accidents, generally nobody concerns themselves with light trucks but in accidents that involve injured parties or fatalities, lawyers and prosecutors are more aware about manufacturer weight ratings and how they impact performance.

My front GAWR is 3,400lbs, the rear GAWR is 4,800lbs, added up it's 8,200lbs which isn't unusual for GVWRs to be less than the combined GAWRs, that's because other factors are involved beyond the axle's load carrying capacity and spring capacity to control that weight over the road. The problem is that manufacturers are super cagey about actual numbers and unless you are building an XL, the delivered payload is going to be a surprise.

My big worry would be that the front axle is already overweight and all these numbers are static. Dynamic weight is totally different and hitting bumps under load while braking downhill in a turn and you can easily have an extra ton or more of force on just your outside wheel.

About the only good thing about the situation is demand for higher trims right now, so you should be able to get your money back or even an extra few bucks. A Super-Duty might be a more appropriate solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeanCav

SeanCav

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR F150, 4x4, 3.5L EcoBoost V6, 6.5 ft bed
Occupation
Pilot
You already know the answer to the question!

Plenty of folk have been guilty of overloading their trucks hauling cinder blocks or dirt a few miles down backroads at low speed but we're talking about thousands of miles at speed across highways that are rough and desolate.

Your truck's total payload is 1,530 lbs from your numbers and I would guess that your rear payload is around 1,400lbs, maybe even less if you look at the payload stickers on other higher trim level trucks.

A quick look at the manufacturer's site and they claim that model is less than 1500lbs but RV manufacturers are known to be full of shit. However, even subtracting the 216lbs of a full 36 gallon tank of gas at 6lbs per gallon; unless you packed 1,000lbs of gear, their number is way off.

Your truck has the 3/4 floating rear axle which is the same as my truck which has a 2,900lb payload. My GVWR is only 7,850 but my truck is an XLT single cab, so it's lighter. The biggest difference in your truck aside from configuration is probably different spring rates. Swapping to the next heavier leaf pack or adding airbags will change that but nothing can change the numbers on the sticker and even a few pounds overweight is still overweight.

A thousand pounds overweight and even if a hobo jumped out between two bushes in front of your truck, they're pinning the blame on you. Generally, commercial trucks are what highway patrol trucks and vans with mobile scales usually target but it's not uncommon for them to pull over light trucks with campers or trailers on a slow day. Same thing with accidents, generally nobody concerns themselves with light trucks but in accidents that involve injured parties or fatalities, lawyers and prosecutors are more aware about manufacturer weight ratings and how they impact performance.

My front GAWR is 3,400lbs, the rear GAWR is 4,800lbs, added up it's 8,200lbs which isn't unusual for GVWRs to be less than the combined GAWRs, that's because other factors are involved beyond the axle's load carrying capacity and spring capacity to control that weight over the road. The problem is that manufacturers are super cagey about actual numbers and unless you are building an XL, the delivered payload is going to be a surprise.

My big worry would be that the front axle is already overweight and all these numbers are static. Dynamic weight is totally different and hitting bumps under load while braking downhill in a turn and you can easily have an extra ton or more of force on just your outside wheel.

About the only good thing about the situation is demand for higher trims right now, so you should be able to get your money back or even an extra few bucks. A Super-Duty might be a more appropriate solution.
thank you, that is all excellent insight! I appreciate your response

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Not to mention, for that trek, you'll need to probably carry extra fuel and that weight will also add up. Not safe to run that distance, even more so considering you'll be passing through Canada too. Could you make it, sure. Is the risk for an issue high and not make it safely, yeah... You'd be better off pulling a travel trailer. Due to supply chain demand for everything, another option would be to swap to a different camper type if you love the truck.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
You didn't help yourself by getting D rated tires instead of E rated tires

MANDO2021

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 - F150, 2012 - F-150, 2021 - F-150
My 2021 Max Tow package handles a Lance 650 really well. Did Torklift Stableloads and Airlift 5000 Ultimate bags. In this photo, I have 10 psi in the bags and an 1800 pound SxS in the trailer. 10 ply tires are a must-do upgrade. Don't forget that this style of camper puts about 20-25% of its weight over the front axle. At the Scales with gear and my wife, we are 135 lbs to the good. Equalizer bars on the trailer help ALOT with hitch weight.

Ford F-150 Weight with NuCamp Cirrus 620 Truck Camper on 2021 King Ranch IMG_9014

64econoline

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Ford, Tesla 3 2018
Occupation
professional, research
It is more the truck than the camper, the Lance is #200 heavier plus the #180 for the trailer. Ford towing guide gives a range of #2852 for 2x4 reg cab to #1822 for 4x4 crew. after that you subtract the weight of options so King ranch each option, like power tailgate (but you remove that), bedliner, wheel well liner, towing mirrors... reduces. The "truth" is the payload sticker in the door. That's what the cops check if there is a problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: