Weakest point of towing

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
guys what do you think is the weakest point on a f150 with max tow package Meeting tires, frame ,axle ,hitch etc what would break first ? With a Overload truck towing ! I know with the max tow package the frame is a little bit more Beefier. Just curious what would engineers would make to break first. and sill have Control of your vehicle if it did . I figure. thanks
Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I'll go first. my guess in a new truck, regardless of options, is that you are going to strain the transmission to the point the computer may kick in and shut you down. just guessing you would heat things up to the point the computer puts you in a limp mode. same for the motor, any motor.

having said that, if that didn't happen and there were no computer safeties built in, I would bet on a rear differential failing and or a u-joint in the driveshaft going first.

let us know what happens. !!

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
guys what do you think is the weakest point on a f150 with max tow package Meeting tires, frame ,axle ,hitch etc what would break first ? With a Overload truck towing ! I know with the max tow package the frame is a little bit more Beefier. Just curious what would engineers would make to break first. and sill have Control of your vehicle if it did . I figure. thanks
Fill the bed with a load of bricks and do a neutral drop. You'll have your answer.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Unfortunately, the overwhelming answer seems to be the Max Tow axle bolts.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
I vote for the hitch attachment point. Either the receiver bolt or the mount to the frame.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
IMO the laughable question and the supposition that the 'engineers would make something to break first' reveals that the OP is as blind to the derivation of tow-ratings and the varied nature of 'overloading' as his avatar indicates.

Attachments

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The 10R80 is the first thing that will give up the ghost

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i am thinking the PERSON behind the wheel

not that the OP is a dummy
its just that i see lots of towing incidents and most are the caused by the loose nut behind the wheel

trailer unhitches...the nut didnt lock the coupler
the towed vehicle behind a motorhome departs... the nut didnt lock the pins and safety cables
cab gets crunched from fifth wheel trailer...the nut didnt pay attention to the turn
tires depart trailer....nut didnt check bolt tightness
bikes fall off trailer....nut tied them with bungee straps vice ratchet straps
i could go on :love: :love: :love: :love: :love::love::love::love::love:🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
For towing with the f150 I think it's clear that the weakest point is the size of the radiator in hot/high conditions. It will eventually run out of cooling capacity and depending on the driver, either the trans or engine will begin to de-rate.

Though the max tow package's axle bolts that randomly fail even when not towing, I'd argue that's some weak shit.

Oilberta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A 5.0 Sport Max Tow 6.5
If driven modestly and not ham fisting the gas pedal to shred the tranny to tiny broken bits on the pavement, my guess the brakes would be failing after the third red light.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
anyone remember that stupid commercial about the Tundra pulling the space shuttle? I'm reasonably certain the F150, if driven carefully, could pull the Wisconsin down the panama canal.

Or it could burn all its clutch packs with no load going up a small hill while trying to lock 3rd.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
i am thinking the PERSON behind the wheel

not that the OP is a dummy
its just that i see lots of towing incidents and most are the caused by the loose nut behind the wheel
I wholeheartedly agree with this! If the load seems dangerous, a responsible driver would rent/borrow/buy a bigger truck, and be sensible about its weight distribution and load securement.

It’s definitely the loose nut behind the wheel that’s the problem 😂
Sponsored