Wax or Ceramic

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I like many others want that awesome shine, so naturally, I was looking towards ceramic coatings. My issue is that I have a tunnel wash membership, and so I've read that it may not be worth it for ceramic since I use that kind of a wash. Can waxes be decent? I was also looking at the Chemical Guys Hydro SLick, which looks like a little of each option. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Deleted member 2919

I like many others want that awesome shine, so naturally, I was looking towards ceramic coatings. My issue is that I have a tunnel wash membership, and so I've read that it may not be worth it for ceramic since I use that kind of a wash. Can waxes be decent? I was also looking at the Chemical Guys Hydro SLick, which looks like a little of each option. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
This way, you cover both options. Problem solved.

Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-In-1 Wax
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ceramic+3in1+wax.do

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I purchased some Turtle Wax ceramic paste wax yesterday that I will be applying tomorrow. I also picked up some Ceramic spray wax for the windshield/windows. Both get great reviews around the interweb, and are much cheaper than having ceramic professionally applied.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I tried Meguiars hybrid spray on my Ram with ok results. Just didn't seem to last. It was semi-warm a couple of weeks ago and I used regular wax on it just to protect the paint from the auto wash I need to use in the cold. I'm not sure what I will try after I spend a day with the ole Porter Cable on it at some point later this month.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert

Sponsored

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
If you own the truck and plan on keeping it for quite a while then I would invest in a good ceramic coating. If you are leasing or only keeping the truck for a short period then I’d go with a wax or spray.

The Turtle Wax ceramic spray wax that Jerry Can mentioned is really good stuff and very affordable. If you’re looking for a quick way to get some shine and short-term protection then give it a try. You can get it on Amazon and I believe most of the bigger auto parts stores carry it.

Before you do anything, get rid of the tunnel wash membership! No matter what you do you’re going to get scratches in your paint.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Ceramic waxes and ceramic wax sprays are not the same as ceramic coating. For what you described, I’d use a good sealant like Zaino or Griot’s. I like ceramic a lot, but I only use it on lighter colored cars. The reason is that dark cars require correction more often, and with ceramic, if you correct you have to buff and recoat the whole panel. I also wouldn’t use ceramic on a car I bring to washes.

Last edited:

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm happy to do an annual spring cleaning on the cars, can't afford $1500?? on each of the cars for ceramic. I am happy with the meguiars and turtle hybrid spray on solutions. Once I'm out of these 2 bottles I'd like to try the turtle wax graphene paste

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have been using Zaino for many years, easier to apply than wax, and it lasts much longer.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I do mine own - been using Chemical Guys Product & zero issues. My paint is smooth - it's been lightly corrected (all that was needed). I been using the Butter Wet Wax Warm/Deep Carnauba. Truck shines like glass, paint is very smooth and I'm happy with the results.

I also go over it with a spray that helps with the seasonal Southern pine pollen from sticking to the truck & allows for easy light cleaning. Slick is also a great wax and gives excellent results. Personally, I don't see the need to Ceramic Coat it-I'm getting same results by cleaning it myself. I recognize I do have to clean it more but it's not an issue with me.

I enjoy the cleaning it myself & keeping the truck clean. 1st time I cleaned it , I spent 2-days on it to get it super shining like a wet look. I'm in the South and not doing any off roading, mud slinging etc... The truck is kept in a well insulated garage.

Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
Last edited:

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
Meguiar's Ultimate liquid then Meguiar's hybrid spray on next wash.

OP
OP
Asphaltman

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Thanks for the info. I think I will do some sort of wax or hybrid combo and not do ceramic. My trucks are usually 2 to 3 year trucks. I agree on the tunnel washes, but dang they are convenient. I wished there were tunnel touch less washes.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Just got all this for my first try at a ceramic coating! (had the buffer already)

1618089623951.png
That's a lot more stuff than I have patience for. Good luck!
I'll stick with polish and wax. ;)
Sponsored