• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wave 3 Feb 3rd ~ XLT SR

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
4 years and 60k miles in my little eGolf with 125 EPA. I'll take SR all day long in any climate.
For your use that sounds great. I would love to have an eGolf or Mini SE but that tiny range just doesn't work here.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
"Best practices:" 20-80%.
Yes, I understand what you are trying to say. I’m saying it’s an incorrect claim. 0 to 100 is accessible range at all times even if it’s better for the life if the battery to keep in within 20-80. The usable range is 0-100 and best practices are 20-80, or 10-90, but that does not reduce the usable range. Occasionally, going outside of that band is not a concern for battery life.

Your estimates, frankly, are ridiculous. Especially for cold weather. I own an EV and I live in a cold climate. I only see 15% range loss at 30F and 20% at 20F. It's 3 years old with 25,000 miles and it still meets EPA estimates in normal conditions, so to this point my usable range is still 80% of EPA even in very cold weather, which would be 240 miles for the F-150 ER. Claiming that the range of the F150 ER "could be" 90 miles is not even in the realm of sanity unless you're max towing in winter.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
400+ is a pipe dream of a few YouTubers looking at unfinished software in non real world conditions. The thousand pound payload may be true, but will have a very minor impact on range (5 to 10 miles, give or take).
Remember, 1,000 lbs. is Gross Weight unless your Lightning is Self-Driving.

Gotta deduct a few hundred pounds of Payload for the driver, maybe petite Mom or Girlfriend (Not Both!), a few Kiddies, a Purse or Fat Wallet (if you bought a Platinum), and Spot, not counting the groceries, your new tonneau cover or other mods, and maybe Grandma and her walker.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
My i3 had to be charged 0-100% almost every day. It also showed that in degradation along with high heat and DC charging.

Last edited:

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Yes, I understand what you are trying to say. I’m saying it’s an incorrect claim. 0 to 100 is accessible range at all times even if it’s better for the life if the battery to keep in within 20-80. The usable range is 0-100 and best practices are 20-80, or 10-90, but that does not reduce the usable range. Occasionally, going outside of that band is not a concern for battery life.

Your estimates, frankly, are ridiculous. Especially for cold weather. I own an EV and I live in a cold climate. I only see 15% range loss at 30F and 20% at 20F. It's 3 years old with 25,000 miles and it still meets EPA estimates in normal conditions, so to this point my usable range is still 80% of EPA even in very cold weather, which would be 240 miles for the F-150 ER. Claiming that the range of the F150 ER "could be" 90 miles is not even in the realm of sanity unless you're max towing in winter.
I usually only need about 10% of my battery for daily driving. I plug it in every night and keep it around 60% SOC daily. I've charged to 100%, drained it down to almost 0%, used DCFC and in 3 years/20k miles, I've experienced pretty much no range reduction.

Winter driving is also not that bad, I precondition the vehicle and I see the most impact on my short drives of around 5 miles, which is about a 20% reduction or less and most of that comes from when I leave the car sit for an hour and then drive it home when it's cold. When driving a preconditioned car on a trip over 15 miles I don't see much of an impact at all.

I expect the F-150L battery to be pretty good and if I used it as I do my current vehicle, I expect to have similar results.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I usually only need about 10% of my battery for daily driving. I plug it in every night and keep it around 60% SOC daily. I've charged to 100%, drained it down to almost 0%, used DCFC and in 3 years/20k miles, I've experienced pretty much no range reduction.

Winter driving is also not that bad, I precondition the vehicle and I see the most impact on my short drives of around 5 miles, which is about a 20% reduction or less and most of that comes from when I leave the car sit for an hour and then drive it home when it's cold. When driving a preconditioned car on a trip over 15 miles I don't see much of an impact at all.

I expect the F-150L battery to be pretty good and if I used it as I do my current vehicle, I expect to have similar results.
I use more for my commute but I still don't really use a large portion of the battery on a regular basis. Anyone who owns an EV realizes that the ultimate range is for the rare case when you need you're going on roadtrip. That isn't often for most people.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Anyone who owns an EV realizes that the ultimate range is for the rare case when you need you're going on roadtrip
Agree. In my 3 years owning a 2019 egolf , I have done about 5 drives that needed more range than it offers. And this is just because I did not want to take the time to fast charge during. Other cases where the egolf doesn't work was when it just didn't have enough space.

230 miles, 100 more than my egolf , and a truck solves both issues for 99% of my use cases.

For that 1% I will either have an ICE CX5 on hand or if the wife likes the ioniq5 enough, we'll be getting that as well this year.

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I use more for my commute but I still don't really use a large portion of the battery on a regular basis. Anyone who owns an EV realizes that the ultimate range is for the rare case when you need you're going on roadtrip. That isn't often for most people.
Yup, we only do 1-2 long road trips per year. Usually, one 500 mile trip each way from Mayland to Maine and one year we went to the Outer Banks which is about 350 miles. We have to stop to take a break anyway, so charging isn't an issue.

The trip to Maine we do over 2 days and stay at a hotel with a destination charger, so we don't really need to another charging stop, but we plug in when we stop for a bathroom break anyway. Our other trips are usually between 100-200 miles, so we don't need to charge along the way, so our road trips didn't change at all when we got an EV.

The only thing that worries me is that I want to take the boat to Maine this year in August and I'm not sure what towing range will be like. I'm hoping I get delivery in Jun since I was in wave one so I can go on a couple of test trips to Lake Anna and see what the range is like before the long trip in August.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
The only thing that worries me is that I want to take the boat to Maine this year in August and I'm not sure what towing range will be like. I'm hoping I get delivery in Jun since I was in wave one so I can go on a couple of test trips to Lake Anna and see what the range is like before the long trip in August.
Looking forward to performance report and your charging strategy when this trip happens.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
That person, once again, completely misconstrued what I was presenting.

I wasn't making a prediction on range. I even stated right in the first paragraph that I didn't expect consumers to "see" any degradation over that ten years anyway.

The only reason for that absolute worst case scenario calculation was for people who plan on keeping their EVs for a 10 year span.

If you utilize that absolute worst case scenario and the range still will meet your needs then you might as well buy an SR instead of an ER. If, instead, people want to speculate they're going to achieve best case scenario results then plan on that by all means--I just don't think that's a good idea based on my own extensive experience driving EVs over the past six years and especially when it comes to dropping around $80K.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Why would someone make a buying decision based on a wildly unrealistic worst case scenario?
Sponsored