• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wave 3 Feb 3rd ~ XLT SR

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
I extended my reservation and will wait for the Pro, if they raise the price significantly I'll take my business elsewhere (#1 at a local dealer for the Chevy EV, also have a reservation for CT, and Fisker Ocean). XLT SR is a terrible deal, because of the drastic price difference in the basically, functionally, same Pro model.

End of story, pretty simple actually.

Ford's demand is high because the competition hasn't arrived yet. Once the others start producing in high quantities Ford is going to lose a bit of these reservations they seem to take for granted.
At this point if you can get an XLT SR with the $7500 tax credit then its a no brainer. That tax credit will probably be half gone before the next tiny batch of pros are released.
Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
My dealer has had 3 allocations so far I'm #10 in line. I'm really hoping for future waves have more invites per wave ? I'm guessing I'll be in the first wave or so beginning in the summer for MY23

Jer1983

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Electrician
I don't think it's a given they'll sell everything. There may be 185,000 more buyers than their are trucks, but that was when people saw a pricepoint they could live with and in some cases a rebate they were gambling on. If I won the lottery tomorrow and had an invite i'd buy the Lariat ER and send the difference from the Titanium to a real charity not the ford executive charity. Until then I'm waiting to see whats in the cards for the 2023 PRO.
I think you seriously underestimate how many households in this country make 90 K a year truck money. Look at how many luxury brands there are. And look at how many platinum F1 50s and GMC Dinalis are on the road.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think you seriously underestimate how many households in this country make 90 K a year truck money. Look at how many luxury brands there are. And look at how many platinum F1 50s and GMC Dinalis are on the road.
Or those that don't make that money, but overspend on their truck/vehicle anyways.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
I extended my reservation and will wait for the Pro, if they raise the price significantly I'll take my business elsewhere (#1 at a local dealer for the Chevy EV, also have a reservation for CT, and Fisker Ocean). XLT SR is a terrible deal, because of the drastic price difference in the basically, functionally, same Pro model.

End of story, pretty simple actually.

Ford's demand is high because the competition hasn't arrived yet. Once the others start producing in high quantities Ford is going to lose a bit of these reservations they seem to take for granted.
Based on your statement of having reservations for 4 different vehicles, it is possible (even probable) all the claimed advance interest is inflated across the various manufacturers. Unless you plan to purchase all four vehicles you hold reservations to purchase. This may work to the consumers' advantage if multiple reservation making is widely practiced. I'll likely be a late 2023 or 2024 purchaser as my reservation is dated 9/14/2021. GLTY

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Based on your statement of having reservations for 4 different vehicles, it is possible (even probable) all the claimed advance interest is inflated across the various manufacturers. Unless you plan to purchase all four vehicles you hold reservations to purchase. This may work to the consumers' advantage if multiple reservation making is widely practiced. I'll likely be a late 2023 or 2024 purchaser as my reservation is dated 9/14/2021. GLTY
Correct. I plan on buying 1 vehicle (Possibly 2 if my wife is willing to give up her minivan, she likes the Fiskar but I want to see more on how they've fixed their issues).

Alot of CT reservation holders put themselves down for a Lightning, and I'm sure a bunch of Lightning reservation holders who are getting sour with Ford's handling of the marketing, prioritization, and lack of effective communication put a reservation in for the chEVy just like I did.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
At this point if you can get an XLT SR with the $7500 tax credit then its a no brainer. That tax credit will probably be half gone before the next tiny batch of pros are released.
Definitely not a no Brainer.

A bunch of us were hoping for that tax credit on the Pro.

XLT SR is a horrible config compared to the Pro for the price difference.

Those getting the XLT are more than likely people who wanted the Pro but couldn't get one and are too impatient to wait. No one here really thinks a couple, mostly insignificant, exterior cosmetic differences and cloth seats are worth close to $13k more (tax credit is irrelevant because the Pro would've been $32.5k).

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Definitely not a no Brainer.

A bunch of us were hoping for that tax credit on the Pro.

XLT SR is a horrible config compared to the Pro for the price difference.

Those getting the XLT are more than likely people who wanted the Pro but couldn't get one and are too impatient to wait. No one here really thinks a couple, mostly insignificant, exterior cosmetic differences and cloth seats are worth close to $13k more (tax credit is irrelevant because the Pro would've been $32.5k).
I'm one of those people, and yes the value isn't as good as the Pro. However, you do get a few more items then just the cloth seats. And I don't see how the tax credit is irrelevant. But the main reasoning is:

- The '23 Pro might cost more
- The '23 Pro might not be offered or would still probably be severely limited
- A full tax credit on the XLT SR makes it fairly close in price to a '23 Pro with no tax credit or even partial tax credit...so the upgrade is no longer $12k, more like $4.5k-$9k
- I could use a $7500 tax credit this year rather then waiting for a $3250/no credit next year
- I could use a truck this year rather than waiting for next year.

I don't think I would call the config "horrible" even compared to the Pro, just definitely not the screaming deal the Pro is (was).

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
- The '23 Pro might cost more
- The '23 Pro might not be offered or would still probably be severely limited
- A full tax credit on the XLT SR makes it fairly close in price to a '23 Pro with no tax credit or even partial tax credit...so the upgrade is no longer $12k, more like $4.5k-$9k
- I could use a $7500 tax credit this year rather then waiting for a $3250/no credit next year
- I could use a truck this year rather than waiting for next year.

I don't think I would call the config "horrible" even compared to the Pro, just definitely not the screaming deal the Pro is (was).
So, like I said, too impatient to wait.

The tax credit isn't a valid argument because the Pro with the Tax credit would've been $32,5k. Even with the half credit next year it's still significantly less, especially for the difference between the 2 models.

- A light bar across the front
- Running Boards (which are dirt cheap aftermarket)
- Matching Bumper Color and Mirrors
- Additional options like the interior work space (which hasn't seemed too important in the forums)
- Cloth Seats
- A different Grill (which some actually don't prefer)
- 360 Degree Camera (only really valuable upgrade and it's available on the Pro for those who want it)

That's worth $13,000? Not even close.

Arguements of might cost more, and might not be available seems like FOMO which doesn't mean that the XLT is a good deal, just means people are scared of possibly (not confirmed or even suggested) missing out.

I'm not an individual with expendable income. I have a young family with a mortgage. A $800-$1300/mo vehicle loan isn't in the budget. When Ford says a $39,970 truck is available to the public and basically makes it Ford's #1 Selling point, then only makes 500 of them....yeah they pulled the rug out.

I didn't say the XLT is a horrible config, I said it's horrible compared to the Pro and 100% stand behind that.

Last edited:

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer

The tax credit isn't a valid argument because the Pro with the Tax credit would've been $32,5k. Even with the half credit next year it's still significantly less, especially for the difference between the 2 models.

- Additional options like the interior work space (which hasn't seemed too important in the forums)
- Cloth Seats
- 360 Degree Camera (only really valuable upgrade and it's available on the Pro for those who want it)

Arguements of might cost more, and might not be available seems like FOMO which doesn't mean that the XLT is a good deal, just means people are scared of possibly (not confirmed or even suggested) missing out.

I'm not an individual with expendable income. I have a young family with a mortgage. A $800-$1300/mo vehicle loan isn't in the budget. When Ford says a $39,970 truck is available to the public and basically makes it Ford's #1 Selling point, then only makes 500 of them....yeah they pulled the rug out.

I didn't say the XLT is a horrible config, I said it's horrible compared to the Pro and 100% stand behind that.
Plus Boxlink and power adjustable pedals. But yes, definitely not worth $13k more (it's only a $12k difference when you add both the tow tech and max tow packages). But that's only in comparison to unobtanium at this point.

It's not impatience for me - I've waited for the Cybertruck DM to replace my aging F250 since 2019, and I still might buy one if it's ever offered. It's simply looking at the odds and making the smartest decision given the circumstances. If you have a max price limit of $32.5k then a $7500 tax credit on a $52k truck doesn't matter to you. But that's not the same for everyone and it's disingenuous to explain it away as FOMO...as someone pointed out in another thread the XLT SR will still qualify for certain state credits because it still is under $60k.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier

- Cloth Seats

I see all your points, but it looks like you’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good (enough) here.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My original plan was the XLT ER but then...well, you know. After that it seemed like the Pro SR was the way to go since many have noted that the XLT options certainly don't justify a $13k price premium. If I have to accept 230mi range then I want to pay as little premium as possible. Once the Pro was sold out I briefly thought about the XLT SR but the 13k premium (plus losing a $2.5k state EV tax credit that is capped at $50k) is just too much of mental hurdle for me to get over. Now that we're a few days out from the most recent disappointment I'm actually considering jumping to the Lariat ER. I never would have thought I would get to this point but it really does look like the chance to get an EV truck with good range for a good price in the next three years is probably almost zero. That means that the XLT ER and Lariat ER will probably maintain really good resale value for quite a few years. I'm not 100% decided on it yet but I'm considering it.

EDIT: I just don't trust Rivian yet. I would consider jumping to the R1T if it was from an established manufacturer. Even Tesla. Too many chances for things to go sideways with a company's very first vehicle.

Last edited:

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
My original plan was the XLT ER but then...well, you know. After that it seemed like the Pro SR was the way to go since many have noted that the XLT options certainly don't justify a $13k price premium. If I have to accept 230mi range then I want to pay as little premium as possible. Once the Pro was sold out I briefly thought about the XLT SR but the 13k premium (plus losing a $2.5k state EV tax credit that is capped at $50k) is just too much of mental hurdle for me to get over. Now that we're a few days out from the most recent disappointment I'm actually considering jumping to the Lariat ER. I never would have thought I would get to this point but it really does look like the chance to get an EV truck with good range for a good price in the next three years is probably almost zero. That means that the XLT ER and Lariat ER will probably maintain really good resale value for quite a few years. I'm not 100% decided on it yet but I'm considering it.

EDIT: I just don't trust Rivian yet. I would consider jumping to the R1T if it was from an established manufacturer. Even Tesla. Too many chances for things to go sideways with a company's very first vehicle.
Good price! Good range! Delivered to you soon(ish)! Pick any two.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Good price! Good range! Delivered to you soon(ish)! Pick any two.

Right, like I said in one of the other threads. People won't be able to walk into a dealership and grab an EV truck without an extended order time until 2025-2026 (unless you just get lucky and someone cancels their order after it's delivered). Used EV trucks with with 300mi range won't be terribly common on the used market until the late 20s. Yeah, $80k is a silly amount to pay for a vehicle but any decent new truck will run you $50k+ today and trucks tend to hold value very well. So, financially it's not that bad as far as vehicles go. An $80k luxury SUV will lose far, far more value over a 5 year term than any truck, let alone an EV truck.