Warming up a Powerboost

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I went outside this morning in the snow and started up my current truck to build a little heat before throwing the kids in for school. It got me thinking, if the Powerboost doesn't kick the engine on until you reach a certain speed or deplete the battery, how does it build heat. I have never had an electric or hybrid,. On a full electric, it has a stand alone system that is not engine dependant. How does it work in the Powerboost? If I remote start, does that kick the engine on until I enter the cab?
Sponsored

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I used to have an Altima Hybrid. The engine would always kick on immediately within the first few seconds of starting the car to warm up the engine. Once the engine was warm it would have the typical hybrid approach. On warm summer days or if you've already warmed up the engine, when you start the car the engine will not turn on until you need the power to do so.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
An engine heater may be a good option

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
That is why I ordered an engine block heater on my Lariat Powerboost. That should help reduce the engine from running to warm up in the winter.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I mean, it has a battery pack.. Why not a heating element in the ducting like on the super duty?

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
What Travis said is dead on.

SJLCJL
Engine has to be warm for the emissions to work properly.

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Makes perfect sense. I read up on it a bit and every manufacturer has their own (often similar) way of handling this. Some work exactly like a traditional car, the engine needs to build heat before you can get nice and toasty. Others use a combination of traditional heating and electric heating, so that you can get heat instantly and the vehicle can begin to cycle off the engine much earlier.

Until I started this conversation, I had forgotten about a former co-worker who would come into work looking like he skied to work (hat, gloves, heavy jacket, even snow pants on occasion). He drove a Nissan Leaf and in the winter running the heat would zap to much battery, so he would just dress for the weather.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have walked past a Tesla or two on cold (this means <50 in California, not freezing!) days and you can sometimes hear something running under the hood. Found out this is the battery heater. They both charge and run better if the battery is "warm" not freezing or hot.

I have no idea how the Powerboost will work, but I would *think* Ford knows what they are doing and would figure out a way to balance the engine and battery heat to try to get them in the optimal range? Do we think that Ford added a little "battery warmer" so that it can help more while engine is cold and vice versa? Maybe not, and leaves room for optimization in the future, who knows.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What Travis said is dead on.
I have walked past a Tesla or two on cold (this means <50 in California, not freezing!) days and you can sometimes hear something running under the hood. Found out this is the battery heater. They both charge and run better if the battery is "warm" not freezing or hot.

I have no idea how the Powerboost will work, but I would *think* Ford knows what they are doing and would figure out a way to balance the engine and battery heat to try to get them in the optimal range? Do we think that Ford added a little "battery warmer" so that it can help more while engine is cold and vice versa? Maybe not, and leaves room for optimization in the future, who knows.
The powerboost comes with a radiator cooling and heating lines for the battery pack. You can see the lines running to the power pack in these photos. I think the propower inverter just gets the cooling line.

Ford F-150 Warming up a Powerboost 1610067922997

Ford F-150 Warming up a Powerboost 1610067962676

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
When I pulled my truck out of the garage this morning I noticed it was running on the engine and not the battery. I checked the battery status and saw this message. This might help answer your question.

Ford F-150 Warming up a Powerboost 47B3FB31-D7B7-4DB0-B55A-FA15A9F7A816

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@ConstructionBoss That is exactly what I wanted to know. Also, pretty cool that they have a screen to tell you why the engine is running.

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
I ran my power boost for 15 minutes this morning and it didn’t even start to defrost the windows... this was a remote start, so I’m sure there is some setting I have missed, but I will need to figure that out soon.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I ran my power boost for 15 minutes this morning and it didn’t even start to defrost the windows... this was a remote start, so I’m sure there is some setting I have missed, but I will need to figure that out soon.
Make sure it is set on defrost. I think I remember when you remote start it goes to last ventilation settings.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
It looks like in the manual on Remote start you can set climate control Auto (72°) or last settings used, and Heated Seats on/off and heated steering wheel on/off. Not sure if defrost is included (?)
Sponsored