• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wallbox Quasar

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone familiar with the Wallbox Quasar that allows bidirectional power to and from an EV?

From the website (wallbox.com)
Quasar is the lightest and smallest DC charger of its kind. Its unique design was created to enhance bidirectional charging and enable easy installation.
Allows you to charge and discharge your electric vehicle so you can use your car to power your home or the grid*. Let your EV battery take you further with our revolutionary technology.
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Is anyone familiar with the Wallbox Quasar that allows bidirectional power to and from an EV?

From the website (wallbox.com)
Quasar is the lightest and smallest DC charger of its kind. Its unique design was created to enhance bidirectional charging and enable easy installation.
Allows you to charge and discharge your electric vehicle so you can use your car to power your home or the grid*. Let your EV battery take you further with our revolutionary technology.
Looks like it only works with CHAdeMO connections which is strange as I believe those are being phased out, in the US anyway. My facts could be wrong here however.

OP
OP

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Looks like it only works with CHAdeMO connections which is strange as I believe those are being phased out, in the US anyway. My facts could be wrong here however.
They claim to introduce at CES this year and will air a spot at superbowl. Or so their investor info says. They must be prepping for US market.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
They claim to introduce at CES this year and will air a spot at superbowl. Or so their investor info says. They must be prepping for US market.
Ah, now I see that they are introducing the Quasar 2: https://wallbox.com/en_us/newsroom/wallbox-introduces-quasar-2-at-ces-2022.html

I have not found much detail on it however.

Snippet from the link above:
Quasar 2 has been designed to be compatible with existing infrastructure in the U.S. to promote optimal efficiency. Providing up to 11.5kW/48Amp of power for charging and discharging, it is even more powerful than its predecessor. Quasar 2 offers CCS compatibility and connects to the myWallbox app through Wifi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, or 4G.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The quasar 2 will be able to be used with CCS only if supported in car. I think I read the price will be about $3K.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Maybe?? I get the feeling the SR won't have a different part in the DC use.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
for the CHAdeMO side of things, this is not a typical setup to use at home, but if the unit comes with the corrent CHAdeMO connector, I guess it's possible. I have two Nissan Leafs(2014,2015), which have both the 'normal' 120v/240v inlet, AND the DC Fast Charger inlet(CHAdeMO). I imagine that this unit is basically a combination Charger, for the Vehicle, and INVERTER, for the home.

The question becomes: if this is tying into the home, via backfeed thru the units wiring back to the home's power panel, how would an 'interlock' work. This is typically required in order to prohibit backfeeding of power to the grid, essentially requiring the owner to turn OFF the home's incoming main power Breaker, and then allowing for the EV's breaker to be 'ON'. That doesn't work, though, if this is used as BOTH a Charger AND a POWER FEED from the EV, since the home's panel would have to be ON for power to charge the vehicle, but that would mean, because of the interlock, that the Charger's breaker would have to be OFF. Well, unless they are thinking that you'd need to provide a 'generator subpanel' to solve this issue, which it could, but which also cost even more money and installation cost.

I think there's a much easier way. Use the trunk's 240v 30amp outlet to feed your home, if you have the 9.6kwh upgrade. In a catastrophic, or even a simple several-hour outage, this could be the easiest and quicket way to provide all the power you need - you're NOT going to 'need' to power your 'whole' home - that's probably a little ridiculous, and mostly for advertising purposes. You only need the basics. If you provide the correct wire cable to connect the outlet on the truck with the home's power panel, such as thru a similar 240v 30amp female outlet near the panel, you can then use the correct interlock to solve the problem.
This 'cable' even makes sense to carry with you on a long trip, where you can provide 240v power from your EV to another EV, with an adapter, etc. I can even imagine taking the 'normal' 32amp 240v Charger that Ford provides in case you run into a situation where you might need to charge at a home, or maybe even a place that just might have a 240v outlet, like a CAMPGROUND.

If your truck will only have the 20amp 120v outlets, then use all those you need, with extension cords, to what you need to power in your home, which is mostly 120v items, anyway.

Bill from King Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
If your truck will only have the 20amp 120v outlets, then use all those you need, with extension cords, to what you need to power in your home, which is mostly 120v items, anyway.
Explain to me how exactly I can use extension cords to power my well pump and septic system pump -- arguably the 2 most essential items in my home's infrastructure?

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There is a lot going on.
One issue is how to get power out of truck. The power outlets can be used directly to loads. The outlets can be put into a backup generator transfer switch for either the whole house or selected loads.

The other way is the unknown 80A charge unit that most likely will be some collection of devices. I assume they might do exactly the same as above but with some smart features.
Sponsored