Videos: 360-Degree Cameras In Use While Driving

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I could also be wrong about the firmware requirement altogether, and the thing holding us back from this feature might just be that we need the latest Sync4 update that will be coming soon.
Boy I hope so. I have a mid-late July build and it does not have the feature…. However, was ordered at the beginning of the year so not part of the build 2 group (where they added the scale, etc)
Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I know it's on the new Tremors for sure. I have high hopes that ford uses the OTA system to bring early generations up to speed with the newer firmware.

Either way, we will likely be able to obtain the new firmware at some point and can do it ourselves.
I could also be wrong about the firmware requirement altogether, and the thing holding us back from this feature might just be that we need the latest Sync4 update that will be coming soon.
Does it work on the Tremors in all modes?

Drandpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
In trucks with park assist the front cameras will come on automatically if an object is detected nearby.

I do wish that they would come on sooner though as I have to creep up on something for what feels like a long time after it’s out of my visibility before the camera comes on automatically. I’ll probably eventually get used it but yeah for now I am hitting the button half the time.

The other thing that bugs me is if you have the camera on, then shift into reverse to reposition… when you shift back into drive the cameras are off again, regardless of speed and you have to turn them back on. They should stay on once selected even if going back and fourth.
I know this isn't exactly what you are wanting but there is an option called "delay camera" or something like that. If you set that on, when you go from reverse to forward the backup camera stays on even while going forward until you hit 6 mph. If you have the 360 cameras, I usually find that good enough that I don't have to re-enable just the front view. Perfect for those quick back and forth maneuvers.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know this isn't exactly what you are wanting but there is an option called "delay camera" or something like that. If you set that on, when you go from reverse to forward the backup camera stays on even while going forward until you hit 6 mph. If you have the 360 cameras, I usually find that good enough that I don't have to re-enable just the front view. Perfect for those quick back and forth maneuvers.
Awesome thanks! That should actually help quite a bit, I’m going to look for it now. Hopefully it also helps keep the camera on while swinging into a space…. I’ve noticed that the cameras come on when the corner of the truck gets near a car but as soon as I slow my approach they immediately turn off.

Edit: ok I give up, where is this option… I looked through settings, the manual and the forscan spreadsheet.

Edit edit: found it under features—>driver assist. It would still be better if it would switch over to the front camera but at least keeping the 360 display on should help, looking forward to trying it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kly

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
retired
I am die hard Ford, BUT I rode in a new Chevy even before I ordered my 21 Lariat. Their cameras are awesome. When towing they can turn any camera on. You can see the hitch while driving, when turn signals are turned on the side cameras turn on and you can see down the side of your truck and trailer, they even have a rear view camera on the rear view mirror which is more clear than live viewing. Right now I think Chevy is way ahead of Ford technology.
Does any one know if there is some way to contact Ford to see if there are any updates.

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
... Their cameras are awesome. When towing they can turn any camera on. You can see the hitch while driving,
Has anyone tried the cameras in trailer hauling mode or with a trailer hooked up to see if it will stay on?

kly

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
retired
Camera does not come on or stay on, very disappointing. Except for backing up I do not know what is the advantage of the cameras.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The other thing that bugs me is if you have the camera on, then shift into reverse to reposition… when you shift back into drive the cameras are off again, regardless of speed and you have to turn them back on. They should stay on once selected even if going back and fourth.
There's an option for that
Ford F-150 Videos: 360-Degree Cameras In Use While Driving Screenshot_20210920-134124

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Camera does not come on or stay on, very disappointing. Except for backing up I do not know what is the advantage of the cameras.
Parking in my garage.
Parking in a crowded parking lot.
Verifying I'm centered in the lines when parking.
Just to name a few.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's an option for that
Yeah it helps and is better than nothing but it leaves you stuck with the rear camera on while moving forward instead of switching back to the front camera. At least the 360 view stays up.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Yea, it seems very restricted for what it “could” or “should” do. Even the Camera module (IPMA) has line options in forscan for turn signal view, video on demand, view at speed for hitch and bed, etc. I believe the APIM gets its speed signal from the PCM (I haven’t looked to see if that shows on forscan)as it’s not listed on the spread sheet. It’s annoying as there are so many options locked out.

I haven’t tried a different country code to see if any of it works (like it does for entering gps destinations in motion).

It may take navtec or 4d to work out the issues, but they will.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Cool, is that in any driving mode? Looks like I’ll have to get some f250 forscan settings for the ipma and maybe the BCM.
Sorry for the late reply, I can access my hitch camera, and bed camera at any speed in forward or reverse. I cannot access the front camera though.

kly

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
retired
Sorry for the late reply, I can access my hitch camera, and bed camera at any speed in forward or reverse. I cannot access the front camera though.
Is there a way I can make this happen on my 21 F150 Lariat?

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Is there a way I can make this happen on my 21 F150 Lariat?

Keep in mind i have a 22 super duty, I am not sure how ford has it disabled in your alls trucks, theres a lot of people working on it though. it could be a software deal or a firmware deal. be patient it will get figured out.
Sponsored