Sponsored

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 Tacoma (looking to buy F150)
This video popped up in YouTube. Discussion is from a travel trailer towing perspective. As a newb researching a tow vehicle I found it very useful. (I'll let the experts here decide how accurate it is.)

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about with the V8. Ive had the EcoBoost, Powerstroke, and the V8. I'd put the V8 in third place as my overall choice. EcoBoost has the most power and has a reliable track history (despite my 16' giving me headaches) and the power stroke puts down a ton of torque at 1750 RPM and will likely be the most reliable of the bunch. The V8 reportedly eats oils and also has issues in it's truck and mustang use, not to mention the need to punch it uphill to get comparable towing performance.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
From a simplistic point of view, normally aspirated are not going to be as susceptible to failures of the added on parts.
I can see the allure of the turbo charged little six holes, but a large portion of the people on this particular forum appear to be stepping up to the latest and greatest every 3-4 years.
I still have the vehicle I bought new in 1979, before I turned 19 years old.
I bought my Ranger new in ‘05, and have never been as fond of it as I was the 79.
I’ll most likely be selling the Ranger, but it has been 99.9% trouble free since new.
The new truck I ordered is about as simple as you can get, but with a very few add ons. Will probably have it until God decides I won’t need it anymore.
I prefer the v8 over the na v6 for the additional acceleration and the ability to get out of its own way.
I prefer the v8 over the ecoboost for the simplicity and the not sounding like a Briggs & Stratton V 2
I’ve had 2 pickups with sixes, a D-100 that I did not keep very long as it was a toad with anything more than a case of soda in the back, and my Ranger which is able to move around with a little spirit, but rides like a tank and it’s working abilities are extremely limited.
Plus—a lot of years of 454 and 440 cid trucks—hard to move down.

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I can’t get a pickup with a clutch anymore—this alone will make me keep the the k1500 till the wheels fall off.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Nothing in a half ton pulls like a 3.5. Even towing 10,000lbs mine always has a healthy reserve of power for passing. But what some don't realize with boosted engines is that the air that's getting forced into the engine needs fuel - and alot of it. Efficiency goes out the window, it's either Eco or Boost. I've towed heavy with a 5.0 10 speed too and it pulls just fine, but it doesn't have near the same power reserve as the 3.5. It uses marginally less fuel as a result, but not enough of a difference to go 5.0 over Ecoboost for efficiency alone in my opinion.

If you want the most predictable efficiency in a gas pot for towing, displacement is your friend. The most efficient gas engines for towing are big blocks.

Di2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7
Occupation
Retired
I had the 5.0 in my 2012. My 2021 has the 3.5EB. Better, smoother acceleration. Will be towing next summer, so I don't about the performance. Looks good on paper, and from what others report. The 5.0 was no slouch while towing. I do see lower gas consumption with the 3.5.

Reactions: Doc

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
I have had the 16 2.7 Eco with with 3:31's, a 18 2.7 Eco with 3.55's, and a 20 5.0 with 3.55's and a 21 3.5 Eco with 3.55's all super crew 5.5 foot beds. And hands down either Eco 2.7 or 3.5 out performed the 5.0 when towing the same trailer and same load over the years. I could be underestimating but I think the trailer and load is around 6300 lbs.

I do not tow often but when I do, the Eco's felt so much better. The low end torque of the Eco's made the 5.0 seem very stressed in comparison just by throttle and having to rev the 5.0. Up hills the Eco's seemed like they are in a different class and they did not have to hunt for the right gear.

The mileage was better on the 5.0 when towing but could be after a few trips I didn't want to rev it as much as because it felt like it was working harder.

The 5.0 has some good power in the higher rpm band but even driving around town the Eco's are better sprinters and nicer to drive in my opinion. The fuel consumption "Eco" or "Boost" is true, if you like driving sporty then your mileage will drop considerably in a Eco.

The 3.5 Eco makes big block torque where the 5.0 has to be revved even in daily driving. The 5.0 reminds me of the Dodge Hemi 5.7 it has to be revved high to make power. I do not like having to stay constantly in the higher rpm band to make the truck move so that is why I love the Eco's.

Off Topic- When the Eco's are tuned it is no doubt the better choice Ford is extremely conservative on the Eco's overall tuning. I can attest the difference is insane between a stock tune and a ethanol tune for a Eco.
Sponsored