Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I don't blame you. One of the main reasons I ordered a Platty is because of this sound system. I want to feel and experience the sound that comes out of the stereo. My bottom of the barrel speakers in my 2018 XLT are barely satisfactory and I cannot wait to climb into my new truck, bluetooth some Metallica and rock out on my maiden drive. I have dreams about that day.
You won't be disappointed, that's for sure..
Sponsored

BudLeary

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited, 2020 Range Rover, 2019 Audi A5
Occupation
Architect
Just bought a Limited with B&O Unleashed and a bit surprised at the lack of control over the sound. Treb, bass, mid.... stereo and surround, and that is it ? No sub control ? No sub Boost ? No 5-7 bar equalizer ?

It sounds ok.... but I still wish a little more bass and a little more control. May see what my local sound shop can do !

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Just bought a Limited with B&O Unleashed and a bit surprised at the lack of control over the sound. Treb, bass, mid.... stereo and surround, and that is it ? No sub control ? No sub Boost ? No 5-7 bar equalizer ?

It sounds ok.... but I still wish a little more bass and a little more control. May see what my local sound shop can do !
Lol..........You’re looking for features that are available on an aftermarket head unit or DSP.

OEM head units don’t come with these features regardless of the name on the premium sound system.

With that being said, the reason those features are not in an OEM system is because manufacturers don’t want customers blowing the very cheap plastic and paper speakers.

Just because it says B&O, that doesn’t mean that you’re getting something special.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Lol..........You’re looking for features that are available on an aftermarket head unit or DSP.

OEM head units don’t come with these features regardless of the name on the premium sound system.

With that being said, the reason those features are not in an OEM system is because manufacturers don’t want customers blowing the very cheap plastic an

Just because it says B&O, that doesn’t mean that you’re getting something special.
I would also have expected to see a basic equalizer

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 FORD RANGER LARIAT
Occupation
TEACHER
From what I can tell, the 2018 F-150s had a ten speaker B&O Play system with 675 total watts. This included a thin style subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat on the bed wall of the truck.

Keep in mind “B&O Play” was designed and marketed as an entry level premium sound system for Ford for the 2018/2019 model years. All the press releases and other info I’ve seen so far for Bang & Olufsen for no longer label themselves as “B&O Play” for 2021 Ford models. This could be Ford’s attempt to keep moving the F-150 up market.

The Bang & Olufsen sound system in the 2021 F-150 is listed as having eight speakers rated at 640 watts with an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer (ECS)”. This is supposed to be a slim, space saving subwoofer.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the fact that the base 2021 B&O system makes less overall power than the earlier B&O Play systems. I have seen review videos where Ford representatives have said they allowed the staff at B&O to have pretty much free reign over the 2021 F-150’s interior in an effort to get the best sound possible. Whereas other manufacturers and vehicles give audio companies set spaces/locations and parameters to abide by.

Although I haven’t heard the base B&O system for the 2021 F-150 yet, I think it’s safe to say it will be an adequate improvement from the generation thirteen F-150s.

Also, in my opinion, because B&O Play was marketed as a cheaper and/or entry level Bang & Olufsen sound system, they may have used cheaper and lesser quality speaker cones, drivers, wires, and other components that could be different than the ones used in the generation fourteen F-150.

In reference to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system, it comes with eighteen speakers producing 1,080 watts. It’s two main features are headrest and headliner mounted speakers for the front row of the truck. It also uses an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer”, likely the same one that’s used in the base B&O system.

I consider myself a bit of an audiophile. After listening to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed at one of the test drive events, I was amazed. In other cars, headliner and head rest mounted speakers were gimmicky and, in my opinion, hurt the sound of the system. This was not the case at all in the F-150. The overall sound was very clear and immersive. It’s hard to explain but the combination of the headliner and head rest speakers kind of created a shower of sound, and it was really a cool experience. Overall loudness of a system is only as good as how well the speakers maintain their clarity without getting distorted. I tried several genres of music on the B&O Unleashed system at a pretty high volume (around 20ish out of 30, if I recall), and that was plenty for me. I also didn’t want to deafen the Ford rep. who was also in the truck.

Since being able to hear it at the test drive event, the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system was a non-negotiable option for me on my order. As the clock ticks the days and weeks away until I take delivery, the thing I’m probably looking forward to most about the truck is hearing that sound system again!

Anyway, ending my tirade. Here is the media release from Harman, the parent company of Bang & Olufsen, for the new sound systems for the 2021 Ford F-150 with additional information:

https://news.harman.com/blog/blog_articles-20200629

????NEW UPDATE FEATURING VIDEOS OF BANG & OLUFSEN UNLEASHED MENUS AND SETTINGS AND AUDIO DEMONSTRATION!????

I recently had the opportunity to attend the Orlando International Auto Show. While I was there, I noticed they had a 2021 Ford F-150 Limited SuperCrew on display. Of course, the truck was equipped with the Band & Olufsen Unleashed stereo system and I couldn't turn down an opportunity to hear it again! I know a lot of you folks on here had questions about the audio equalizer, and sub-menus of the system. The video below shows each of those things and more so you can see how to adjust the Unleashed system to your preference.

And now, what even more of you have been waiting for! An actual sound demonstration of the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system. To be completely fair, please keep in mind there were a lot of things working against me to record this video including other people getting into and out of the truck, one of the Ford reps telling me I have to keep the window (passenger side) rolled down, combined with the overall loud ambiance of being inside a huge showroom filled with people.

Even with all of that taken into consideration, I think you can still deduce just a little bit of how good this system sounds inside the truck in ideal conditions (doors/windows closed, in the driver's seat, CD quality audio files being played, etc.).

For the demo, I was forced to use FM radio. Unfortunately, my phone would not let me stream music and shoot video no matter how arranged it. Again, though, the higher quality songs and audio files on my phone sounded incredible. I attempted to cover a vast array of music genres to suit most of your all's preferred style of music, and how the audio system presents them, but I could not get all of the music types I wanted. Here is a breakdown of what I was able to record in case you don't have the time to sit through the whole video:

0:00 - Classic Rock, Journey - Don't Stop Believin’
1:33 - Top 40/Pop
1:55 - Christmas music/classical (Tis' the season)
2:23 - New country
3:01 - Talk radio/spoken word
3:18 - Classic Rock, more Journey - Wheel In the Sky
3:44 - Reggae Rock, Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
4:15 - Latin/dance

Enjoy this until we can all get the real deal when our trucks finally come in!!

Thanks so much for this detailed review, which confirms that unleashed is really a cut above the current B&O (which I am currently enjoying in my 2019 Ranger Lariat). If the new Rangers do not get "Unleashed" in 2023, this may be another reason to move up to full-sized....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Thanks so much for this detailed review, which confirms that unleashed is really a cut above the current B&O (which I am currently enjoying in my 2019 Ranger Lariat). If the new Rangers do not get "Unleashed" in 2023, this may be another reason to move up to full-sized....

Thank you for the kind words! I think you will be impressed if you step up!

BlackKnight21

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L V8
Occupation
Correction Officer I
Just sent an email to add to my order. Lol
If you do see a problem with a order, what’s the email address. When I look at my order on line, everything is there but my Trailer Tow Mirrors. I need to email or call someone to make sure it’s on the order that I see on line.

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
If you do see a problem with a order, what’s the email address. When I look at my order on line, everything is there but my Trailer Tow Mirrors. I need to email or call someone to make sure it’s on the order that I see on line.
I meant I sent an email to my dealership. I think your best option is to talk to your sales professional.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
? about the B&O Unleased. I tried, surrond sound, no surround, AM, FM, Sirus & Apple Car play but there is zero sound coming out of my headrest speakers. I tried all I know on the radio settings & nothing.

Any pointers?

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
? about the B&O Unleased. I tried, surrond sound, no surround, AM, FM, Sirus & Apple Car play but there is zero sound coming out of my headrest speakers. I tried all I know on the radio settings & nothing.

Any pointers?
I'm wondering about this as well. I seem to have the same situation.

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch

Any pointers?
Dealer..
There is definitely music coming from them.
It's not loud but it's there..

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
One way to test to see if all your speakers are working is to press and hold the next track button on the steering wheel and the one on the dash, each speaker will beep separately so you know they're working.

Chenko24

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Ecobbost 3.5L tuned + performance mods
Occupation
Supervisor
Ford F-150 (VIDEO DEMO UPDATE) Bang & Olufsen (B&O) Unleashed Sound System Review (2021 F-150) ???? 1618872013175

This is the Sub from the 2021 B&O system. Not Unleashed! this thing is complete garbage! Does not give much bass at all. Subs in systems should be pushing bass. This does not push bass worth shit. I was a little upset with my B&O as it sounded good but no bass or very little. Just dropped my truck off to have something else looked after and they gave me a 2019 to use for the day with a B&O from 2019. Way more bass, like way more. I had to grab the salesmen and show him. He thought it was an aftermarket sub, so we checked it out. nope ford B&O. So the 2019 B&O actually has bass like it should. The all new F150 2021 B&O sub is garbage. Unless mine is not working correctly. So glad I'll have to install my own subs and amp into a truck that I paid extra to get a garbage sub.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
I ordered the 8 speaker B&O mainly for the amp and not to deal with aftermarket sub. My current BMW only has speakers and aftermarket amp and I am plenty happy with bass. Adding a sub, no matter how underpowered will be an upgrade for me. Obviously, I am not expecting aftermarket 15" miracles, but I don't listen to boomy music either.

As a side note, anybody got clearer/higher resolution images of the speaker configuration? I like to collect documentation for my cars and for some reason the speakers are always hardest :D.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
1618872013175.png

This is the Sub from the 2021 B&O system. Not Unleashed! this thing is complete garbage! Does not give much bass at all. Subs in systems should be pushing bass. This does not push bass worth shit. I was a little upset with my B&O as it sounded good but no bass or very little. Just dropped my truck off to have something else looked after and they gave me a 2019 to use for the day with a B&O from 2019. Way more bass, like way more. I had to grab the salesmen and show him. He thought it was an aftermarket sub, so we checked it out. nope ford B&O. So the 2019 B&O actually has bass like it should. The all new F150 2021 B&O sub is garbage. Unless mine is not working correctly. So glad I'll have to install my own subs and amp into a truck that I paid extra to get a garbage sub.
The Unleashed has the same sub. This little turd of a sub is the downfall of the Unleashed system for sure. I'm going to add a single 10 on a mono amp and a LOC and that should clear that issue up.
Sponsored