• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GIFORD

First Name
GI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT - V8 F150
Occupation
Business Executive
Allotments matter and larger dealers obviously have more but from the Bronco reservation fiasco, who is selected to get a vehicle and when seems to be very random or follows a formula that only a few Ford executives are privy to.

I reserved a Ford Bronco in the first seven days after Ford opened the reservations in July of 2020 and I still have no idea of when my vehicle will be built. A month ago, I put a second order with a very large dealership for a more basic Bronco with none of the “restrained” options Ford has told us will delay orders, and still don’t have a VIN or production date. A buddy of mine put an order in for the identical model/specs with a Florida dealer and got a production date within a week. Many others with no reservations have walked into a Ford dealership in the last few months and have already taken delivery. The one Ford dealer that has my first order has gotten two dealer stock Broncos recently to sell at $20k over asking price while res holders like me who paid MSRP continue to wait for any news on a production date.

There are about 125,000 Bronco reservations that were coverted to orders and Ford will likely produce 53,000 Broncos in 2021 but many of us very early reservation holders will wait another 6+ months to take delivery. F150 Lightnings will be an even longer wait than a Bronco as there are more lightning orders and production by the end of 2022 will only be about 30,000.

I don’t want to be a Debbie downer, but Ford’s track record with the Bronco orders will likely carry over to the Lightning. The reality is the same for both models: Huge demand and very low supply and many greedy dealers that want as many to sell with huge additional dealer markup.
I here what you are saying - however if a dealer has an allotment and has a track record for fulfilling those orders thats who I would place an order with. My dealer is very savvy and seems to have a good handle on the situation. Also some dealerships are not in favor with the factory (Ford Corporate) and could have a lower internal priority level. Keep the faith - Fight on BLue Oval!
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Allotments matter and larger dealers obviously have more but from the Bronco reservation fiasco, who is selected to get a vehicle and when seems to be very random or follows a formula that only a few Ford executives are privy to.

I reserved a Ford Bronco in the first seven days after Ford opened the reservations in July of 2020 and I still have no idea of when my vehicle will be built. A month ago, I put a second order with a very large dealership for a more basic Bronco with none of the “restrained” options Ford has told us will delay orders, and still don’t have a VIN or production date. A buddy of mine put an order in for the identical model/specs with a Florida dealer and got a production date within a week. Many others with no reservations have walked into a Ford dealership in the last few months and have already taken delivery. The one Ford dealer that has my first order has gotten two dealer stock Broncos recently to sell at $20k over asking price while res holders like me who paid MSRP continue to wait for any news on a production date.

There are about 125,000 Bronco reservations that were coverted to orders and Ford will likely produce 53,000 Broncos in 2021 but many of us very early reservation holders will wait another 6+ months to take delivery. F150 Lightnings will be an even longer wait than a Bronco as there are more lightning orders and production by the end of 2022 will only be about 30,000.

I don’t want to be a Debbie downer, but Ford’s track record with the Bronco orders will likely carry over to the Lightning. The reality is the same for both models: Huge demand and very low supply and many greedy dealers that want as many to sell with huge additional dealer markup.
I am starting to doubt a lot of the Lightning Reservations will be turned to orders once people see the options and pricing. The biggest difference between the Bronco and Lightning is that the F-150 has an ICE counter part that can be purchased if someone truly needs a truck. I have a feeling there will be a lot of Used Lightnings within a few months as some people truly do not know what they are getting into with an EV that won’t meet their expectations.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I am starting to doubt a lot of the Lightning Reservations will be turned to orders once people see the options and pricing. The biggest difference between the Bronco and Lightning is that the F-150 has an ICE counter part that can be purchased if someone truly needs a truck. I have a feeling there will be a lot of Used Lightnings within a few months as some people truly do not know what they are getting into with an EV that won’t meet their expectations.
Those used Lightnings (in the short term) will likely sell at or above MSRP because the supply of electric trucks is far too low to meet demand. There's little risk of losing money if you buy one and sell a month later because this specific market niche is so limited right now. That's not even accounting for the EV credit that you may also be able to pocket.

GIFORD

First Name
GI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT - V8 F150
Occupation
Business Executive
I am putting in 30 solar panels on my roof - so for myself it will pay for my heating - central AC and fuel - I have a gas powered F150 which I will keep (only has 40k and paid off)- the LF150 will be used as a mobile vinyl DJ setup so I will be using at sponsored events which is sure to be a hit here in SoCal:)

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
Dealer says "We have 28 reservations... you can be first one to order!"

Also hoping the pricing didn't change.

I hope you get an early wave invitation, but I would keep your expectations tempered.

If your reservation is around number 20,000, you won't be anywhere near the early wave unless you get a priority bump by your dealer. Your dealer's allocation could also play a role here too, which may or may not end up working out to your advantage.

I think most people are just hoping Ford can actually make 20,000 the first year, which is a big "maybe," so that means you will most likely be one of the last 2022 ordering waves. If you are number 20,000 you should be prepared to potentially not even get the opportunity to order a 2022.

Then again I don't have a crystal ball, so we can all hope the estimates about how many Ford can make the first year are waaaay underestimating the actual production numbers.

My reservation is probably between numbers 8,000 and 15,000 if I had to guess since I ordered later on during the live unveiling, and I'm hopeful but not absolutely expecting a 2022 delivery. If production ends up getting delayed or slowed even one time, I bet I get pushed back to 2023.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Range Rover diesel, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Agreed. F150 Lightning owners here in Minnesota will be surprised by the lack of range during the winter months or when driving 75-80mph on the freeway. My ‘15 Tesla reads 235 miles of range at full charge and I can’t trust it for more than 145 miles during the winter months. Luckily our cabin is only 139 miles away, lol.

Range on an electric truck will take a big hit when driving at 75+mph on the highway - my Model S does and with the aerodynamic drag coefficient of a truck, they will do much worse. It only takes about 29 hp to move my Tesla down the highway but an F150 needs about twice the hp. I would expect the standard battery Lightning rated at 230 miles of range to only get about 180 miles when being driven at a “normal” highway speeds under ideal 70Âș weather conditions with no headwind. Batteries also degrade over the first year or two so that 230 miles of indicated range will soon be more like 210 miles. My car was 265 miles when new and 240 miles max 18 months later.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Agreed. F150 Lightning owners here in Minnesota will be surprised by the lack of range during the winter months or when driving 75-80mph on the freeway. My ‘15 Tesla reads 235 miles of range at full charge and I can’t trust it for more than 145 miles during the winter months. Luckily our cabin is only 139 miles away, lol.

Range on an electric truck will take a big hit when driving at 75+mph on the highway - my Model S does and with the aerodynamic drag coefficient of a truck, they will do much worse. It only takes about 29 hp to move my Tesla down the highway but an F150 needs about twice the hp. I would expect the standard battery Lightning rated at 230 miles of range to only get about 180 miles when being driven at a “normal” highway speeds under ideal 70Âș weather conditions with no headwind. Batteries also degrade over the first year or two so that 230 miles of indicated range will soon be more like 210 miles. My car was 265 miles when new and 240 miles max 18 months later.
While it is very true that highway driving degrades range, Ford has been much more conservative than Telsas so far (Tesla tends to overstate range and Ford understates it). Tests will the Mach-e show it just about hitting it's combined EPA total in highway driving (and over performing the highway range estimate). Time will tell what the Lightning does.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
My guess is underestimation will be even more important on the Lightning than the Mach-E so we'll probably see Ford continue to underpromise and overdeliver.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
My guess is underestimation will be even more important on the Lightning than the Mach-E so we'll probably see Ford continue to underpromise and overdeliver.
Agreed - Ford's current range estimates include a 1,000-pound payload in the bed . There are other reports indicating 2,000 pounds in the extended range version for 300-mile range, so we shall see. One report test-drive report indicates a 427-mile range in an empty truck. Not counting on that, but it is out there, perhaps optimistically. https://topelectricsuv.com/news/ford/ford-f150-electric-new-update/
Sponsored