• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
LEND A HAND – AND A FEW MILES – TO YOUR FRIENDS USING VEHICLE-TO-VEHICLE CHARGING ON F-150 LIGHTNING, F-150 HYBRID

December 21, 2021

• With innovative Pro Power Onboard, the all-electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning™ truck and the F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid have the ability to let customers “share” range with other electric vehicle owners, allowing them to charge a friend’s vehicle during an outage or top off an EV battery for a neighbor
  • Customers can use their F-150 Lightning or F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid to charge electric vehicles from Ford and other manufacturers; this is estimated to add an average range of 20 miles per charging hour to a Mustang Mach-E SUV with extended range battery and rear-wheel drive, or 13 miles of charge per hour on an F-150 Lightning
  • Ford is using electric vehicle technology to offer customers innovative new capabilities – from deploying their F-150 Lightning battery to power their home in an outage to freeing up even more space for storage in the Mega Power Frunk

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 21, 2021 – Usually when someone asks you to top them off, they’re holding a cool beverage in hand looking for a refill. But with the all-electric F-150 Lightning™, customers can take service to another level by “sharing” miles with other electric vehicles – those built by Ford and other manufacturers – giving people additional range through vehicle-to-vehicle charging.

With available Pro Power Onboard, the 2022 F-150 Lightning and F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid trucks are high-energy power sources on wheels with multiple uses, thanks to their onboard generators and high-capacity battery systems. Now, Ford is offering another unique benefit to that list: vehicle-to-vehicle charging using the Ford-exclusive Pro Power Onboard 240-volt outlet.

“There are hundreds of benefits to Ford Pro Power Onboard – and we’ve added one more,” said Patrick Soderborg, Ford e-powertrain systems engineer. “Taking power on the road or having extra energy at home brings a lot of convenience and security, and using the F-150 Lightning or F-150 hybrid to top off a friend’s electric vehicle or help them during an outage is one of the many new benefits our customers gain from our Built Ford Tough electrified trucks.”

When connected to an F-150 Lightning or F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid with the optional 9.6 or 7.2 kilowatt Pro Power Onboard1, the Ford Mobile Power Cord charger can deliver Level-2 charging that’s estimated to add an average range of 20 miles per charging hour on a Mustang Mach-E with extended-range battery and rear-wheel drive2. It will add up to 13 miles of charge per hour on the upcoming F-150 Lightning, and will add an average range of 10 miles per charging hour to a Ford E-Transit low-roof cargo van2.

Customers can easily take advantage of this capability, using a widely available power adaptor to link the Ford Mobile Power Cord to their truck. Once connected to the 240-volt Pro Power Onboard outlet, customers can use the Mobile Power Cord to charge a range of all-electric vehicles that use the SAE J1772 charge port. This includes the Ford Mustang Mach-E, the Ford E-Transit electric van and the all-new 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup, as well as vehicles from other manufacturers3.

The 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid pickup has an available 7.2 kilowatt Pro Power Onboard generator that can be used to power tools, accessories and the Ford Mobile Power Cord. This spring, the all-new 2022 F-150 Lightning – the first full-size battery electric pickup from Ford – will debut with the available 9.6 kilowatt Pro Power Onboard power source.

Electric vehicles open doors to new customer benefits

Just as cell phones and the internet changed our way of life, electric vehicles are poised to do the same with a wide range of new services and features. Leveraging the electric power generation and storage available in the new F-150 Lightning and F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid, Ford is building in new features that give customers functionality, convenience and capability.

With F-150 Lightning, its power source can even be used to power a home using Ford Intelligent Backup Power. Instead of installing a home generator or battery backup, the truck can be used to power a typical-size home up to three days in the event if a power outage4. The compact electric powertrain also allowed Ford to create the first Mega Power Frunk – a front trunk that not only offers multiple power outlets but also provides up to 14 cu.-ft. of lockable storage.

“There are so many new opportunities to innovate with features and functions made possible only through electrification,” said Soderborg. “This really hit home during the Texas power crisis last February, which left millions in the cold. F-150 Hybrid helped many Texans keep warm and powered up during those difficult times thanks to Pro Power Onboard – and we’re trying to do even more with F-150 Lightning.”

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration {filename}

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging_03

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging_05

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging_07

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging_02

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging_04

Ford F-150 Lightning Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging by F-150 Lightning to Other EVs at L2 Speed - Info & Demonstration Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging_06
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
Would be nice if they just made the proper power dongle for the mobile charger and eliminate the yellow adapter all together. Hopefully that is in the works.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
They must be doing something in the software of the F150L/H (or F150L/H to mobile adapter) to limit the charging rate - by default the mobile charger (32A) should pop the breaker for the 240V plug (30A).

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Would be nice if they just made the proper power dongle for the mobile charger and eliminate the yellow adapter all together. Hopefully that is in the works.
Most places that you will use the mobile charger, you will need to plug it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet to allow for Level 2 charging (such as in most home garages or at an RV park) limited to 32A by the mobile charger. The adapter allows plugging the NEMA 14-50 plug (50A max rated) into a NEMA L14-30R twistlock receptacle (30A max rated). What I don't see mentioned in the article is if there is a way to limit the mobile charger to 24A (80% of the 30A max the vehicle can provide). Many third party chargers give flexibility in limiting the maximum current so that you keep the current to 80% or less than the circuit the charger is plugged into when either a 30A or 40A max service is available versus a 50A service.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Most places that you will use the mobile charger, you will need to plug it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet to allow for Level 2 charging (such as in most home garages or at an RV park) limited to 32A by the mobile charger. The adapter allows plugging the NEMA 14-50 plug (50A max rated) into a NEMA L14-30R twistlock receptacle (30A max rated). What I don't see mentioned in the article is if there is a way to limit the mobile charger to 24A (80% of the 30A max the vehicle can provide). Many third party chargers give flexibility in limiting the maximum current so that you keep the current to 80% or less than the circuit the charger is plugged into when either a 30A or 40A max service is available versus a 50A service.
The L14-30R twistlock is for connecting into the 7.2kW Pro Power Onboard on the Power Boost. With the Lariat and Platinum F150 Lightnings having a 9.6kW Pro Power Onboard, they would have a 240V outlet capable of 40A maximum that would allow for the mobile charger to run at the maximum of 32A continuous. There would still need to be an adapter obtained to convert to the NEMA 14-50.

Sponsored

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Makes me think I should keep one of these in my frunk just in case..

https://www.amazon.com/L14-30P-Comp...t=&hvlocphy=9011747&hvtargid=pla-824342202126

Does make one wonder why the ability to put more amps out than the rating of the socket. Curious. ?
Per the clarification I added, the L14-30P is in the Pro Power Panel of the PowerBoost Hybrid F150 that has a 7.2kW system. The Lightning F150 Pro Power Panel on the Lariat and Platinum will be capable of 9.6kW, which will probably have an L14-50R socket instead with it limited by a breaker to 40A.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Per the clarification I added, the L14-30P is in the Pro Power Panel of the PowerBoost Hybrid F150 that has a 7.2kW system. The Lightning F150 Pro Power Panel on the Lariat and Platinum will be capable of 9.6kW, which will probably have an L14-50R socket instead with it limited by a breaker to 40A.
That would be awesome, but I always read the specs as: “7.2 kW on the 240v 30amp outlet *plus* 2.4 kW from the various 120v outlets”. For a total of 9.6 kW, which therefore would not all be available in the 240v outlet. But I’m always ready to be pleasantly surprised, let’s go for it Ford!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That would be awesome, but I always read the specs as: “7.2 kW on the 240v 30amp outlet *plus* 2.4 kW from the various 120v outlets”. For a total of 9.6 kW, which therefore would not all be available in the 240v outlet. But I’m always ready to be pleasantly surprised, let’s go for it Ford!
I strongly suspect this is the case as that would allow common parts between the powerboost and lightning.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I strongly suspect this is the case as that would allow common parts between the powerboost and lightning.
This is the case, I verified at one of the Ford events. I checked on the blue Platinum that was being displayed and had staff also say this is the case. In fact, there is some kind of selectable zoning available from the touch screen that I think might turn different 120VAC outlets on or off.

So sadly the 240V outlet will only serve 7.2kW (one reason home back-up is better from the charging port interface supposedly serving all 9.6kW).
Sponsored