First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
I activated my vehicle hotspot today, and aside from AT&T trying to tell me that I’ve consumed nearly 3GB of data in 3 hours (all while it was largely off), my question is this: Do I really have to have my truck running or in accessory mode for the hotspot to work? I’d hoped to use it while boondocking with the new Airstream. TIA.
Ford F-150 Vehicle Hotspot 2E0F8D51-B69A-4E42-83FE-D35B99EA605D
Sponsored

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
It looks like you are living the dream Rich.

Like you, I also activated my vehicle hotspot today. I activated it mainly make sure that it works - It does. I checked my data usage and so far only used 10.8 meg, which makes since since I only wrote an email and checked a couple of web pages.

Since your question peaked my curiosity, I decided to leave my keys in the house, and brought my laptop to within 2 feet of my truck that has been off for 3 hours. The wifi hotspot doesn't show as an available wifi. So, I guess that answers that question.

I'm trying to understand a use case that would work for me. Since both my wife and I have cell phones that have hotspot capability, and kids are all grown and out of the house, I'm not sure what benefit vehicle hotspot would offer us even though we plan to go camping.

Last edited:

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I ran out of data in 4 days from my kid connecting to it and watching YouTube videos.
Luckily I have TMobile which includes unlimited tethering data, so I’ll just stick to that.
No way I’m paying extra money to AT&T

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Honestly 20 bucks a month isn't bad for unlimited hotspot. I purchased it and may cancel it in a few months after all of our long trips are completed. It is nice for the kids.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I submitted an idea to Ford to update the software that would allow us to use the FordApp and turn on features like WiFi and Pro Power generator, Ford response was they have no interest in developing the software to do this.
Sponsored