V-8 Transmission Whine?

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Mine also does it. With the window down sounds like a turbine spinning up before you turn on the fuel. I don’t notice it much with the windows up and the radio on.
Sponsored

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
Yup, Ford Dealer read me a Service Note Ford sent out saying two specific transmissions may exhibit a noise (V8 and V6) and that it was a normal aspect of the way it operates.
Had mine in a few months ago, and was told the same thing. My 2010 didn't make a sound. We're not alone though. This transmission was a joint venture with GM from what I've heard, and my neighbour's new Silverado whines just like my F150.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine does it too, only noticable in the parking garage at work. Just had dealership check ATF level; they said it's fine.

coyotemik

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 5.0
Occupation
IT Consultant
Both my F150 and Mustang have the same whine, considerably louder in the Mustang.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've heard that a common source for "whine" is the gear driven transmission pump (not the electric auxiliary transmission pump) has some sloppy tolerances and it lends to some whining louder than others. And if the plastic shroud that covers the pumps gear itself is too close to the gear, you even get the additional noise of the rotational rubbing of the two surfaces.

It's the blue pump below. You can see there is a 3 gear ensemble to allow the transmission input shaft to spin the drive gear that in turn spins the idler gear that in turn spins the pump gear.

Ford F-150 V-8 Transmission Whine? Screenshot_20230107_224807_OneDrive

The electric auxiliary pump is near the rear of the transmission and takes over when the ICE stops for auto-stop/start, since the crankshaft isn't turning.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The way that gear was cut reminds me of how old school timing gear sets were made. They would produce a very similar type noise making you think of a under-hood blower

The PB doesn't whine, where my 20 Ranger had just a little bit of a whine to it. Was helping out @fordhouston the other day with some Forscan changes to his truck and I noticed his had a rather pronounced whine to it. Reminded me of a how a former co-worker's '16 supercharged mustang sounded.
Sponsored

Last edited: