Using Hybrid Generator to power the house

Vspec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB SC LWB
Grounding Types

Vehicle Type Grounding Type
Gas Neutral floating: The neutral of the inverter generator is isolated from system ground.
HEV Neutral bonded: The neutral of the inverter generator is bonded to system ground. Connecting loads that also have neutral bonded to ground will cause the ground fault detection to trip.

superwaddle

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT powerboost
Occupation
Pilot
I am building a house now and just got a 2021 XLT PB. What should I specifically ask my electrician to do to make the place ready to receive power from the truck in the event of an outage?

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I am building a house now and just got a 2021 XLT PB. What should I specifically ask my electrician to do to make the place ready to receive power from the truck in the event of an outage?
Make sure you spec a transfer switch the switches the neutral along with the hot legs. There are electricians taking the ground off the transfer switches that don’t do this to make it work with the Ford PB. They should be drawn and quartered!

Also you need the 7.2 Kw for 30 amps. The 2.4 is too small. Jim

superwaddle

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
How do I know which Kw I have? I’ll just screenshot your response, that was completely greek to me.

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
One of the many options I wanted and couldn't get.

I guess the equipment needed for the generator doesn't fit in a 122" wheel base.

OP
OP

DavidB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Give the electricians the following info about the f150 hybrid generator: Neutral bonded: The neutral of the inverter generator is bonded to system ground. Connecting loads that also have neutral bonded to ground will cause the ground fault detection to trip.

superwaddle

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I checked...I do not have the 7.2kw version so it’s all a moot point. Wish I’d known to look for that first. Oh well, at least we can power some stuff with the 2.4kw version.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I checked...I do not have the 7.2kw version so it’s all a moot point. Wish I’d known to look for that first. Oh well, at least we can power some stuff with the 2.4kw version.
It's a little sad that any dealership would order a truck with the Powerboost drivetrain and NOT add the $750 cost to increase it to 7.2 Kilowatts. Makes no sense.
Of course, I could also argue that Ford shouldn't even offer the Hybrid/Powerboost truck without it. :)

Sponsored

OddManOut

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Software Engineer

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Here's a link to a comment where I detailed how I got my 2.4 kW Powerboost to run some circuits in my house.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/installed-transfer-switch-in-house.1267/post-143306

I thought I'd add a link in this thread in case someone is trying to determine if this is possible.
Since the 2.4 has a floating neutral, can't you just wire directly into the main panel with an interlock and skip the whole transfer switch? Thought this was just needed for the bonded neutral 7.2?

OddManOut

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Software Engineer
Since the 2.4 has a floating neutral, can't you just wire directly into the main panel with an interlock and skip the whole transfer switch? Thought this was just needed for the bonded neutral 7.2?
Powerboost has 2.4 kW or 7.2 kW. Both have a bonded neutral. It's the 2.0 kW non-Powerboost that apparently has the floating neutral. (I can't confirm the non-Powerboost floating neutral - taking that on faith from the post earlier in this thread.)

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Powerboost has 2.4 kW or 7.2 kW. Both have a bonded neutral. It's the 2.0 kW non-Powerboost that apparently has the floating neutral. (I can't confirm the non-Powerboost floating neutral - taking that on faith from the post earlier in this thread.)
Confirmed from the manual.

Ford F-150 Using Hybrid Generator to power the house Screenshot_20220105-084428_Office~2

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
It's a little sad that any dealership would order a truck with the Powerboost drivetrain and NOT add the $750 cost to increase it to 7.2 Kilowatts. Makes no sense.
Of course, I could also argue that Ford shouldn't even offer the Hybrid/Powerboost truck without it. :)
When a they wont spec a block heater for EVERY diesel even though it's only $90...
Sponsored