Sponsored

Using Hybrid Generator to power the house

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Not sure why you quoted one of my posts, though it seems Hullguy drew your primary fire.

I too have a MSEE.

Also, if you go far enough back some people tried to live in caves, but were sometimes eaten by bears or froze to death. What does that have to do with anything?

And the accident rate for people travelling by buckboard with solid wheels and axles and no seat belts was higher too when running from outlaws.

If only times were different now, or we somehow acquired new knowledge over time...

If you have 2 degrees in EE and a Master Electrician education, but you don't understand why telling people to cut the ground connection coming from a 30Amp 240V external power source, then I guess we've all said all we can say.
I apologize, I didn’t mean to quote your post, it was embedded with Jimbos. I understand exactly what isolating the ground does. I also understand that most people in this country (even some that own a powerboost) can’t afford to pay an electrician 1000s of dollars to put in a secondary transfer switch panel. Personally, I have a simple transfer switch and I’m not about to tear apart my basement walls to wire in a neutral switching panel.
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The "Bonded Neutral" Discussion has been sidelined. Ford built the PB that way not because of the NEC, it is a requirement of OSHA for a worksite generator. The PB generator can be legitimately set up as a floating neutral generator and still be compliant with current NEC rules. Ford should come out with a procedure to change the PB generator over. The work around of opening the ground wire between the truck and house is not safe. The workaround of installing a neutral switching breaker & panel is costly and is compliant with the NEC. I have found Ford's silence on this curious. I'm sure there are familes out there that bought the PB option because they expected to be able to plug in their house in an emergency only to find that it doesn't work because...

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
The "Bonded Neutral" Discussion has been sidelined. Ford built the PB that way not because of the NEC, it is a requirement of OSHA for a worksite generator. The PB generator can be legitimately set up as a floating neutral generator and still be compliant with current NEC rules. Ford should come out with a procedure to change the PB generator over. The work around of opening the ground wire between the truck and house is not safe. The workaround of installing a neutral switching breaker & panel is costly and is compliant with the NEC. I have found Ford's silence on this curious. I'm sure there are familes out there that bought the PB option because they expected to be able to plug in their house in an emergency only to find that it doesn't work because...
Good summary Gros Venture.

My thoughts, in my opinion, Ford will NOT ever release or document or a method to "un-bond" the N-G.

1. It is built as designed
2. It is working as built
3. It works fine for giving emergency power to appliances during power outage using extension cords (not by tying into the house breakers)
4. There is a solution (albeit more expensive) if you really want to tie into house breakers (switching neutral transfer switch)
5. Though Ford enjoyed the good press of sending/using PB's during the big power outage (here in TX last year), they NEVER talked about it being used as a (partial) whole house power solution, only with extension cords.
6. The product that IS being positioned by FORD as a "whole house" emergency power solution is the Lightning and that solution is even more expensive, and STILL not well documented and understood yet (as it's not out in the field yet).

So for PB, I believe the only answers are to use extension cords for specific appliances/tools, or pay for a Netural Switching Transfer Switch installation, or take your chances with your life and property.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I believe you're correct... Still-in-all, it'd be nice if Ford would step up to the plate. Frankly, I suspect the inverter is case grounded to the frame. So, in order to make it a floating neutral, they'd have to find a way to insulate the case from the frame. This is no small task...

Last edited:

RichW

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Ecoboost 3.5 hybrid 3.73 gears 4 wheel
Occupation
Professional
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...rocUid=G2186615&vFilteringEnabled=False&div=f

Important info when adding a 30amp outlet to your house panel for receiving generator power from the HEV f150.
Excellent link, I've ben watching a number of YouTube vids on this and it comes down to the bonded Neutral and ground which must be isolated at the house to avoid the feedback fault indicator on the F150. Not a big deal but you need an electrician . I haven't installed this as yet but will be shortly and will post once the project is completed. I'm trusting the pain $ will go away instantly when the grid goes down and someone says something like , " nice truck- you should keep this one." ( OK, I know I'm reaching but hope springs eternal right ?)
Sponsored