First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
So we got hit by Ian. The southern edge of the eye grazed us and we've been without power since 4pm yesterday (Wed 9/28). I wasn't expecting such an early power outage so used the gas generator last night until I went through 5 gallons of gas. By my estimations it lasted about 12-13 hours powering out fridge and 2 small fans.

This morning I pulled the truck up to the house and hooked everything up to it (gave the gas generator to a neighbor to use). I can see that the fuel meter has moved, but it's not much (it's was full minus 18 miles of driving before I hooked it to the house). Now I'm by far not using all the capacity and that's by choice. I don't know how long we will be without power and though we have the 30 gallons in the tank and 40 more on standby (had 50 but gave some to neighbors). I'm still amazed how much more efficient this is. I've maybe used 2-3 gallons of gas and that's including the probable 1 gallon I used driving prior. It's been acting as our generator for about 11 hours now. My neighbor I'm sure has already gone through the 5 gallons of gas I gave him with the generator and gotten more. (13 hours is because I took a small nap in the truck this morning with the ac....lol)

Ford F-150 Used PowerBoost's Pro Power during Hurricane Ian blackout PXL_20220929_231113810
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Good luck to all the Florida people!

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’m in Nova Scotia and we got hit by hurricane Fiona last weekend and I used the truck to power a deep freezer, fridge, wifi, lamp in the evenings, kettle/ electric frying pan as needed and to charge a few phones for two days. I only lost 50km of driving. Truck was averaging 10.1L/100km so based on that math I only used about 5L which is (1.25 gallons). I was also very impressed with the efficiency as obtaining gas was a difficulty here all stations sold out. @FrankThompson I hope you and your loved ones are doing ok.

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I’m in Nova Scotia and we got hit by hurricane Fiona last weekend and I used the truck to power a deep freezer, fridge, wifi, lamp in the evenings, kettle/ electric frying pan as needed and to charge a few phones for two days. I only lost 50km of driving. Truck was averaging 10.1L/100km so based on that math I only used about 5L which is (1.25 gallons). I was also very impressed with the efficiency as obtaining gas was a difficulty here all stations sold out. @FrankThompson I hope you and your loved ones are doing ok.
Thanks! We are fine. I consider ourselves lucky to only have lost power and some other minor things (part of the fence blew out, but I was able to fix it).

And yeah. So efficient! I wonder if anyone makes a standalone generator that works the same or if it's just not feasible in that form factor.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Thanks! We are fine. I consider ourselves lucky to only have lost power and some other minor things (part of the fence blew out, but I was able to fix it).

And yeah. So efficient! I wonder if anyone makes a standalone generator that works the same or if it's just not feasible in that form factor.
You'll find the truck to be extremely efficient, especially with light loading and 'hybrid' mode active.

By my calculations, you'll get 7kWh per gallon out of it. Keeping the load at 1.5kW or below and hybrid mode should be active. Above that mark and you may see reduced efficiency unless it's 4kWh or above. It's on-par with, if not slightly ahead of the best inverter generators on the market, especially with low-loads where it can use hybrid mode. It can't be touched then.

You can calculate how far it will go by examining your loads and just running the numbers. You may be able to see what your average usage was in the last 2 or 3 days from your PoCo and simply use your daily average if you want to go whole-home.

Inverter generators are of a similar efficiency, but the issue is if you're not using the power at least 25% you're just turning fuel into heat. W/ low draw and hybrid mode active, it's untouchable. Just make sure everything is off in the truck. If you have unlimited wifi, you can use it if your phone doesn't. I haggled ATT to $15/mo unlimited, no throttling, no limits.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
You'll find the truck to be extremely efficient, especially with light loading and 'hybrid' mode active.

By my calculations, you'll get 7kWh per gallon out of it. Keeping the load at 1.5kW or below and hybrid mode should be active. Above that mark and you may see reduced efficiency unless it's 4kWh or above. It's on-par with, if not slightly ahead of the best inverter generators on the market, especially with low-loads where it can use hybrid mode. It can't be touched then.

You can calculate how far it will go by examining your loads and just running the numbers. You may be able to see what your average usage was in the last 2 or 3 days from your PoCo and simply use your daily average if you want to go whole-home.

Inverter generators are of a similar efficiency, but the issue is if you're not using the power at least 25% you're just turning fuel into heat. W/ low draw and hybrid mode active, it's untouchable. Just make sure everything is off in the truck. If you have unlimited wifi, you can use it if your phone doesn't. I haggled ATT to $15/mo unlimited, no throttling, no limits.
I didn't have the wifi until today. Verizon went out but before it went fully out, I was able to sign up for the in truck wifi. I paid the $25 for this month but it was worth it. It's spotty (att coverage in my area is only soso) but it was something at least

It got us by when we couldn't call, text, or anything on our Verizon phones (not saying one is better than the other. Verizon just happened to go down this storm).

Re: generator efficiency, I think that's the beauty. When I'm running at such low usage it just keeps topping off the battery. I don't know how good that is for that battery but the %s that Ford keeps the battery in are optimal for longevity, plus the 8 year warranty.

People are driving by and when we tell them the truck IS the generator, they like "What?!?!"

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
It's great to hear you survived the storm, your a very kind man to share your resources with your neighbors. everyone should have a neighbor like you! And you definitely deserved that AC break in the comfort of your truck.
Best wishes
Big dog daddy

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
According to the ford literature at full tilt 7.2kw output will last 32 hours. At 2.4kw it will last 85 hours. For reference of total power, 7.2kw will run 28 residential refrigerators simultaneously. Shout out to whichever engineer had the fever dream of pro power onboard.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
that is fantastic i was watching the storm via the massive networks of personal weather stations, like millions
i was watching 2 on sanibell island, they both stopped reporting right after they reported over 100 mph winds, i suspect power went dark

SUPER good to know you and your family are ok.
as for the genny in the truck... i have a 8k watt in my bus, it sips fuel like the powerboost and it will run for over 30 days on 80 gallons of #2 fuel
you should be muy bueno

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
According to the ford literature at full tilt 7.2kw output will last 32 hours. At 2.4kw it will last 85 hours. For reference of total power, 7.2kw will run 28 residential refrigerators simultaneously. Shout out to whichever engineer had the fever dream of pro power onboard.
That means .96 gallons per hour at full load, or .36 gallons per hour at 2.4kW. That’s seriously efficient and runs with the best dedicated generators. Many all gas cars with no load on the engine burn more then .36 gallons per hour at idle