USB power ports near rear view mirror?

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
My current truck is a 2011, so I am not up on the recent trends from Ford. Do the new trucks have anywhere to power a dash cam or radar detector near the mirror or overhead lights? To me this is a no-brainer for car manufacturers.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’m quite certain they do not have anything up near the rear view mirror, or headliner. The closest option would be the USB ports under the center stack/screen area. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I’m quite certain they do not have anything up near the rear view mirror, or headliner. The closest option would be the USB ports under the center stack/screen area. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I don’t understand this with the growing popularity of dash cams.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It would be a great idea. Are there any vehicles that have this?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
A GoPro mount came standard on my Tacoma, but there is nothing up there to plug anything in. As fancy as rear-view mirrors have become and with all the tech that is usually attached to them, you would think that might be something that would make sense.

Sponsored

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
You apparently don’t drive in the storm that is today’s morons? Not long back I actually got to use the dash cam. I’ve never had opposing insurance call me in less than an hour after receiving the footage and claim 100% liability. They almost always try to fight SOMETHING... Not even a little peep; they put all kinds of hits on their own driver for the crap he pulled. Dash cam for the win!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
You are right on both counts, They are a necessity in Europe.

Many of the upper models already have wiring up there for the high beam sensors and road camera. Seems like easy peasy to me, plus they could claim having something the others don't and it not cost much either. Could be good for radar detectors too.

Did the Taco have a power source for theirs?? I remember when that came out, I thought it was pretty cool.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
You apparently don’t drive in the storm that is today’s morons? Not long back I actually got to use the dash cam. I’ve never had opposing insurance call me in less than an hour after receiving the footage and claim 100% liability. They almost always try to fight SOMETHING... Not even a little peep; they put all kinds of hits on their own driver for the crap he pulled. Dash cam for the win!

I’m saying they should make it easy to have dash cams... why car manufacturers don’t is beyond me. Hell the F-150 has 360 cams... let me plug a sad card in a record them. How can this not be marketed as a great feature? Security too!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I’m saying they should make it easy to have dash cams... why car manufacturers don’t is beyond me. Hell the F-150 has 360 cams... let me plug a sad card in a record them. How can this not be marketed as a great feature? Security too!
Tesla's have that

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It does seem like a waste of technology to have all those camera's on the truck and not have the ability to record the the footage. If only as a 'black box' type feature that would show a 30 second clip, 15 second before and 15 after, when the vehicle is involved in a significant event (hard braking, airbag deployment, sudden swerve).

No, the Taco does not offer any ports in the rear-view or the forward looking technology box behind the mirror. I don't own a GoPro, but being battery operated, I am sure they didn't think it was needed. Toyota market's the mount as something you use when having fun off-road and not as a daily camera system.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
My bad :) reading > me.

I would LOVE for dash cams to both be required AND actionable proof for tickets. I think eventually drivers would get better or lots of people would be fined huge. It’s great for insurance, but until it can be actionable by police, it won’t make things better.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
My bad :) reading > me.

I would LOVE for dash cams to both be required AND actionable proof for tickets. I think eventually drivers would get better or lots of people would be fined huge. It’s great for insurance, but until it can be actionable by police, it won’t make things better.
My dashcam has saved me from a ticket and blame from two accidents in the past year. (obviously not a good year for me driving after being accident free since I was a teen (a LONG time ago)) It also helped identify and locate the cause (vehicle/driver) of the 2nd accident I was involved in. The investigating police officer really seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact that I had instant, and indisputable proof. My insurance provider also used my dashcam video to establish that I was not liable.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently, there is not really any aftermarket support for this type of feature...that I could find. Only Cadillac, that I could find, has launched something. Called Surround Vision Recorder, it will record either the front or rear camera while the car is running (your choice). It is positive that at least one manuf. is trying to make this happen. If Ford does not launch something itself, I would think that the aftermarket will find a way to tap into Sync4 and make it happen.

I did notice while driving a GMC Yukon (2021) recently that all of the camera's are selectable, even when driving. I have read that one of the hang-up's of configuring an aftermarket system is that the camera's on Sync 3 are only active during certainly activities (under 15mph or when in reverse). I don't own an F-150 with Sync3, so y'all will have to tell me if that is correct.

dtyers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Owner
I had a 2015 F150 FX4 and just bought the new 2021 F50 Lariat. I had a dash can in the 2015 F150 routed around the glove box and the ceiling trim to the camera from the USB connection. I want to remove the upper light panel above the mirror and use my 12v to 5v adapter to provide power to the Dash Camera. has anyone removed this panel yet and if so, how is it done?
Sponsored