• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Well way back when they first started selling the Ford Mustang in 1964-65. They then added the fastback model labelled it 1965 1/2.

So new Ford Lightning 2022 1/2
Sponsored

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
The problem is Ford has already said there will be a second generation Lightning on a new platform. So 2023 Lightning at The end of 2022, meaning December 2022? A new platform announced in 2023 with deliveries at the end of 2024.

While you are correct that Tesla has dangled something way earlier, their product will come with new battery tech and that is why there is a big holdup….. well that and they can’t figure whether they want side mirrors or not lmao….
No they have not said there will be a second generation anytime soon, and certainly not in 2023 for 2024. Maybe 5 years after that, if then. Hell, they will still be announcing new vehicles on the platform at that point. One obscure pundit speculated that there would be a second generation and it is being repeated on this forum as though it is fact - and if it is on the internet it must be true.

Further, Tesla is not delivering new battery tech, just repackaged old tech. It would be just as true to say that Ford's battery tech in the Lightning is revolutionary. The 4680 proposed for their next gen cars (announced for the 3 and Y but then abandoned so far) is just reformatted lithium cylindrical cell tech, same as the 2170 in the current 3 and Y, and the 18650 in all versions of the S and X. It provides an incremental energy concentration upgrade, but that's it. Nothing new. Quoting Musk from April "“It appears as though we’re about 12, probably not more than 18, months away from volume production of 4680,” said Musk. " The point of the cells isn't new tech - it is cost per watt hour. LG and Panasonic have been working diligently to get them ramped to production but have experienced both manufacturing and reliability hurdles, which is the reason we have yet to see much progress on the Cybertruck or Tesla Semi - both require much more energy per unit than the current 18650 cells that are delivered in every Tesla to-date. Tesla is experimenting with prismatic (not-cylindrical) cells called LFP in its short-range cars being built in China, but they have much lower energy density, and are decidedly old-tech, regressing in some respects just to meet volume demands in the face of cell production constraints. One main change is that they do not use cobalt in production. These prismatic batteries are also being used in all upcoming Tesla powerwall battery systems because weight and size isn't an issue there, so they can be bigger to make the same output. These LFP batteries are now being rolled into standard-range Tesla 3 and Y versions for US delivery. Again, very old tech. https://insideevs.com/news/529228/tesla-model3-lfp-battery-option/

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Update after watching the webminar:

While this was mostly focused on fleet talk, the one big relevant reveal for us retail order holders is when Ford representatives James Morgan and Nathan Gyori provided this timeline for Lightning ordering, production and deliveries. Unfortunately, deliveries have slipped from the original Spring estimate to now September.
  • January 2022: Lightning order banks open for both retail and fleet
  • June 2022: Lightning production begins
  • September 2022: First Lightning deliveries begin

Webinar link (starts at 2pm Eastern):
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ford-f...wCOWEHyOTKnYB-qkxonZswcQ9I-ZDV0Ly4Vfj__C_IxWE

Join DriveElectricTN and representatives from Ford to discuss the F-150 Lightning, E-Transit, and the planned Tennessee production facility!

About this event

Have you heard about Ford's huge investment in Tennessee? We are talking billions with a "B"! Join DriveElectricTN and Ford representatives James Morgan and Nathan Gyori to discuss what are likely to be the most widely sought-after ELECTRIC fleet products in the Ford F-150 Lightning and E-Transit! Additionally, we will get to hear about the planning for the 5+ square-mile production facility that will be located just outside Memphis, TN - "Blue Oval City."

This webinar is intended for interested fleets and fleet managers across the state as an opportunity to learn about electrifying their fleets with Ford in the near future, while gaining an understanding of what's to come with Ford EV production in West Tennessee.

Although focused on fleets, this webinar is open to the public! All are welcome to come listen and learn.
I’m skeptical, simply because Ford has invested so much PR capital in announcing a “2022” Lightning. If “September deliveries” is correct, that would effectively mean the first trucks are 2023s, as Sept-Oct traditionally begins new model year deliveries. Can’t believe they’d nix the 2022 model year, so look for some deliveries to happen in June-Aug, imho (maybe that’s been the plan all along, with only 15k units planned for 2022).

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Ford has apparently disavowed Mr. Morgan’s delivery schedule comments. Who the heck knows. We have also not seen copies of the power point presentations that we were promised.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Well, all I know is we are two weeks away from Winter lol

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
FWIW, you still can't even build an ICE 2022 F150 on Ford's website.
Yep. I built it as a 2021 and sent the build to my dealership. A couple of days later I got this from Ford :

Ford F-150 Lightning [Update: Ford Denies and Maintains Deliveries Start in Spring] ? Ford Webinar Reveals New 2022 F-150 Lightning Timeline: Jan. Order Bank, June Prod... Screenshot_20211112-152143_Gmail

That's when I realized I would be getting a 2022.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I’d say that this is nothing but optimistic speculation so just take it with a grain of salt.
All will truly be known in the next 4-5 months.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
No they have not said there will be a second generation anytime soon, and certainly not in 2023 for 2024. Maybe 5 years after that, if then. Hell, they will still be announcing new vehicles on the platform at that point. One obscure pundit speculated that there would be a second generation and it is being repeated on this forum as though it is fact - and if it is on the internet it must be true.

Further, Tesla is not delivering new battery tech, just repackaged old tech. It would be just as true to say that Ford's battery tech in the Lightning is revolutionary. The 4680 proposed for their next gen cars (announced for the 3 and Y but then abandoned so far) is just reformatted lithium cylindrical cell tech, same as the 2170 in the current 3 and Y, and the 18650 in all versions of the S and X. It provides an incremental energy concentration upgrade, but that's it. Nothing new. Quoting Musk from April "“It appears as though we’re about 12, probably not more than 18, months away from volume production of 4680,” said Musk. " The point of the cells isn't new tech - it is cost per watt hour. LG and Panasonic have been working diligently to get them ramped to production but have experienced both manufacturing and reliability hurdles, which is the reason we have yet to see much progress on the Cybertruck or Tesla Semi - both require much more energy per unit than the current 18650 cells that are delivered in every Tesla to-date. Tesla is experimenting with prismatic (not-cylindrical) cells called LFP in its short-range cars being built in China, but they have much lower energy density, and are decidedly old-tech, regressing in some respects just to meet volume demands in the face of cell production constraints. One main change is that they do not use cobalt in production. These prismatic batteries are also being used in all upcoming Tesla powerwall battery systems because weight and size isn't an issue there, so they can be bigger to make the same output. These LFP batteries are now being rolled into standard-range Tesla 3 and Y versions for US delivery. Again, very old tech. https://insideevs.com/news/529228/tesla-model3-lfp-battery-option/
Your analysis is good.

The "next gen" Lightning is 2025+. You will have put many 10,000s of miles on your "gen one" Lightning by then. Likely Android Auto will align with the "next gen" truck.

Everyone will likely dabble in non-Cobalt cathode cells. The energy density is much lower, but most alternate chemistries have a important redeeming value: they don't burn when punctured. That's a big deal, especially to Tesla. It's a good bridge battery until solid state comes online (in about a million years, lol).

Last edited:

Akovia

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 Tundra, ‘16 Kia Soul EV, ‘14 Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Experienced
Excellent case in point-- look at Rivian. How many years will it take to fill the orders they have already as trucks trickle out...
Then again, Rivian ain’t FoMoCo.

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
As an owner of a Mach E, I had to wait 14 months for the vehicle to arrive.
Needless to say.....the rumors mill was alive and well. Everyone who had reserved the Mach E wanted the vehicle as soon as possible especially the ones that ordered the FIRST EDITION.!!!
A lot of people have no patience and some have unrealistic expectations.
I wanted just a well built, done right Mach E. I know the frustration was overwhelming for some. In the end I got mine ahead of FE holders who they didn't convert or show up to order.
After the pandemic delays, postponements, build date reshuffles and transportation updates, from one rail yard to another, it appeared 3(three) weeks early. Caught me off guard but happy to see it.
First thing first for me at least is the order date. Once this is accomplished then Ford will generate a built date.
Yes I know those emails from Ford are promising but are a base line.
I believe Ford wants to deliver the Lightning to reservation/order customers and meets and exceeds their expectations. I want that truck to be the best. I was pleasantly surprised with my Mach E and I expect the same with the Lightning. I can wait a bit longer and at the end arrive early.
Let us see what Ford has in store for us all. We may all be surprised.
One thing is obvious to Ford now.
The popularity of the Lightning has caught them by surprise.
They can screw up the schedule dates but don't screw up the Truck. That is the most important thing to us all, I think.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
All this speculation and nervousness reminds me of an airport.

Everyone is always cramming the entrance wanting to be the first boarding group. In reality, we are all boarding the same plane that leaves at the same time regardless of if we board 45min before departure OR 15min before departure. I'm the one waiting back because I'd rather be somewhat more comfortable in the terminal than crammed into a tiny seat for longer than I have to.

Assuming Ford is going to play it somewhat straight with reservations, it won't matter if you order in Dec 2021 or if you order in March 2022 you'll still get your truck at about the same time. Assuming there is no advantage to ordering early...why is everyone buzzing about ordering a truck a lot of us won't get for a year or more? Ordering only boxes me into a more restrictive agreement. Yes I could cancel my order, but not as easy as cancelling a reservation. I'm locked into a dealer with an order, whereas with a reservation I can move to another dealer.

I just seems to me like everyone is fighting like mad to just get in ANOTHER line...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Some more articles coming out about the "Gen 2" Lightning coming for Model year 2026 (late 2025). Here is an example:

https://insideevs.com/news/552740/ford-new-fullsize-pickup-platform/

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Some more articles coming out about the "Gen 2" Lightning coming for Model year 2026 (late 2025). Here is an example:

https://insideevs.com/news/552740/ford-new-fullsize-pickup-platform/
Also in that article, Jim Farley relates that Ford was caught totally off guard by the EV demand. It appears as if Ford really wants to add more production capability(Farly talks about tripling production vs doubling it)-- but Ford is constrained by battery production/availability.

This is a positive sign that at least Ford realizes the demand is there and willing to put resources towards producing as many EVs as they can given the battery supply.

The article also mentions a goal of 600,000 EVs per year by end of 2023. Hard for me to imagine ONLY 80,000 of those being f150s...

Last edited:

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The article also mentions a goal of 600,000 EVs per year by end of 2023. Hard for me to imagine ONLY 80,000 of those being f150s...
I imagine most will be mach e production at their new china factory where they have better battery supply. For the Chinese market.
Sponsored