HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Hi All

I have a bit an unusual problem with my truck. Yesterday my wife and son went down to the local shop and on the way home she drove over a large-ish dip in the road which somehow meant a bottle of Gentleman Jacks that was with the rest of the shopping fell over and just exploded.

Jack Daniels all over the floor in the back of my truck.....

Luckily they could smell it straight away and stopped, and as I have the FX4 rubber mats it held a large part of the liquid so with some paper towel from the shopping they were able to get a lot of it out.....

The problem is though that it overflowed over the mat and soaked into the carpet under the drivers seat...... Unfortunately it's right into the underlay/sound padding so if you put your hand under where it overlaps under the seat it's soaked through...

We have a basic carpet cleaner and once they got home we got a lot of it out, but all day today as soon as you hop in the truck in the heat it smells like a big night out at the bar..... I'm sure if I got pulled over the truck would fail a sobriety test :cool:

So having had water affected cars years ago I'm not interested in the deodorizers and home remedy cleaners because it always come back on a humid or wet day....

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the rear carpet out and completely replace it. I've done this before though on other cars and it never goes back perfectly...

So here's my question... I'm in Dallas and thinking to go to an upholsterer so it's done right..... this is my first Ford though and first truck... can it be done myself if I source it or is there too much specialized stuff around that means just suck it up and get a pro to do it?

Any comments welcome!!!!

Thanks and Cheers!
Sponsored

mschiraldi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 2.7 SCREW
Hi All

I have a bit an unusual problem with my truck. Yesterday my wife and son went down to the local shop and on the way home she drove over a large-ish dip in the road which somehow meant a bottle of Gentleman Jacks that was with the rest of the shopping fell over and just exploded.

Jack Daniels all over the floor in the back of my truck.....

Luckily they could smell it straight away and stopped, and as I have the FX4 rubber mats it held a large part of the liquid so with some paper towel from the shopping they were able to get a lot of it out.....

The problem is though that it overflowed over the mat and soaked into the carpet under the drivers seat...... Unfortunately it's right into the underlay/sound padding so if you put your hand under where it overlaps under the seat it's soaked through...

We have a basic carpet cleaner and once they got home we got a lot of it out, but all day today as soon as you hop in the truck in the heat it smells like a big night out at the bar..... I'm sure if I got pulled over the truck would fail a sobriety test :cool:

So having had water affected cars years ago I'm not interested in the deodorizers and home remedy cleaners because it always come back on a humid or wet day....

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the rear carpet out and completely replace it. I've done this before though on other cars and it never goes back perfectly...

So here's my question... I'm in Dallas and thinking to go to an upholsterer so it's done right..... this is my first Ford though and first truck... can it be done myself if I source it or is there too much specialized stuff around that means just suck it up and get a pro to do it?

Any comments welcome!!!!

Thanks and Cheers!
I’ve had success with a carpet shampoo/ vacuum when the wifey dropped shrimp scampi on the back seat?? Should be able to rent it at a local hardware store, just give couple really really slow passes and spray with some new car scent. I use chemical guys on Amazon, just be careful as it can over power quickly. Might be worth a try before complete tear down.

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
Unusual for sure. I had a water problem with an older F150 (condensate drain, passenger floorboard).
I pulled the seat, kickpanels and door sills, pulled carpet partially up, removed the rubber drain plugs and set a box fan for several hours in the sun between pulled up carpet and metal pan. By leaving the driver seat installed, it anchored the location of the carpet and everything went back together perfectly.
Just a thought. I don’t own a 21, so cant give you any custom advice. Good luck!

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
A whole bottle of Jack? Damn... J/K good luck with that. Sounds like a weekend chore just got planned.

TNmountainman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat F-150 Powerboost
One time I had a bottle of wine break in the floor area of the back seat of my car. I did what you did and attempted to remedy it on my own but couldn’t get the smell and all of the liquid out so I ended up taking it to a nice car wash that does detailing in the area. They were able to get it all out with their commercial grade vacuum/shampoo machine. I would suggest trying that first before even thinking about getting the carpet totally replaced.

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
One time I had a bottle of wine break in the floor area of the back seat of my car. I did what you did and attempted to remedy it on my own but couldn’t get the smell and all of the liquid out so I ended up taking it to a nice car wash that does detailing in the area. They were able to get it all out with their commercial grade vacuum/shampoo machine. I would suggest trying that first before even thinking about getting the carpet totally replaced.
that sounds like a really good idea
Sponsored